Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2016 9:31:19 PM EDT
Alliance PD training

Has anyone here taken any classes at their facility, either from APD or one of the companies that uses them?  It seems like worthwhile investment but I was hoping to get some insight from someone who had had a chance to attend.

Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]

GTG.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, yes and yes.

Highly recommended.  Great facility.  Very progressive police force that embraces training.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been teaching classes at Alliance OH PD for over 8 years.

Not only is it a full service facility, but they want average earth people to shoot at classes there.
They have a 300m rifle and 50yf Pistol rangers, 8'000 sqft shoothouse, AC and heated classroom, Level 5 Vault, special hotel prices etc.

I have poste pics of classes here several times, but..crickets.

They have a good website and are friendly, 2A folks.

To not take advantage of their facility is foolish.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Whoa. Was gonna post the Pat Rogers teaches classes there often and has nothing but praises.

And then the man himself shows up!

I hope to make it there one day. From Pat's pics, its a really really nice facility. But it seems its only open to civilians who at the very least have a CCW permit. So if you dont, you may want to look into getting it, or if the class you want to take requires it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]
All reputable instructors vet their students.

This is especially true for a police department that is allowing non sworn folks onto their facility.

I have required a pistol license, mil or police ID in all of my classes going back through the late 80's.

Any classes held on the Alliance facility requires the same.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It's well worth spending your training dollars there.   They host great instructors like Pat,  the facility is top notch and continually improving, and they strive to provide the best education they can to LE and the armed civilian alike.  I'm fortunate that I only live a half hour away.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I want to take the carbine class but I don't see it on the schedule.  It also says NO BEGINNERS.  What is considered a beginner?  I never took a class but I know how to shoot and operate a weapon.  I also have a CCW and have taken many handgun classes day and night.

Honestly I am intimated for the carbine class.  I see all these ex military and LE and I don't want to be out of place.  I never feel this way and am confident but looking at classes like this gets me wondering.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Unsure why you want us t o be mindreaders, but i'll play.

What class?
Who is teaching it?
What are the dates>

If you want info, you must provide info.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#9]
First Carbine course I see, other than the sustainment course is July 31.  That's the APD instructed course.  

You people cost me a lot of $$
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I am trying very hard to help you, but I cannot read your mind

Understanding that I don't represent Alliance PD (you should be contacting them directly) I and only help if you are specific>

What Class??
(Send me the link- I have no idea what you are looking at)

What are the dates?

Whose class is is? APD? EAG? LMS. Sentinel etc?

Please provide the information and we will try to answer your questions.

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is especially true for a police department that is allowing non sworn folks onto their facility.

I have required a pistol license, mil or police ID in all of my classes going back through the late 80's.

View Quote

Pat ... For the mil ID, would that be active duty or would a retired mil ID work too?

Chris
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pat ... For the mil ID, would that be active duty or would a retired mil ID work too?

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Hi Chris- active, reserve, retired. Also USG with CAC>
We welcome the good guys Chris!
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want to take the carbine class but I don't see it on the schedule.  It also says NO BEGINNERS.  What is considered a beginner?  I never took a class but I know how to shoot and operate a weapon.  I also have a CCW and have taken many handgun classes day and night.

Honestly I am intimated for the carbine class.  I see all these ex military and LE and I don't want to be out of place.  I never feel this way and am confident but looking at classes like this gets me wondering.
View Quote

There are 3 different instructors teaching carbine classes from what I just checked.  Pat, Steve Fisher (Sentinel Concepts), and APD.  

I would not feel intimidated in anyway.  There is always a mix of non LE/MIL in most classes and I've never seen it be anything but a positive learning environment.  

For your first carbine class,  Pat's Carbine 1,  Sentinel's Essential Carbine Employment,  or the APD Carbine will be fine for you.  

I would look and see which class fits your schedule/budget best,  read the descriptions on the instructor's website,  and then contact the instructor if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You people cost me a lot of $$
View Quote

Living so close has cost me a lot of money.  It's all been money well spent.  I've learned a ton and made a lot of great friends out there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Carbine courses vary by location but when i went to TDI i started on the second course and am glad I did, i felt very comfortable and didnt feel like like i really learned new material until the final course. But i build my own rifles, have been shooting for years and didnt want to pay someone to tell me how to load my rifle haha

But in all honesty there is no reason to be intimated, most classes are full of like minded people who all get along well and are there for the same reason, to learn more about firearms.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Problem is all the extra gear that is required for some of the classes...(helmets, lights, plate carriers, name tags, electronic ears, etc)...

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Problem is all the extra gear that is required for some of the classes...(helmets, lights, plate carriers, name tags, electronic ears, etc)...

View Quote

Really? Are you up to that level of training where you would be accepted?
If so, it is likely that you would already have that equipment

The "some of the classes" you refer too are the Shoot House classes, and while they are open enrollment classes, they are also heavily vetted.

None of the day time square range classes require anything other than what any other square range class requires.

If you want to make excuses, go ahead, but at least be realistic about it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you have a good attitude and ask, I bet that most of that can be borrowed.  The smaller stuff is a good investment and/or a necessary requirement of quality training.

The opportunities there go beyond the actual training too.  The sidebar discussions, questions, and general interaction between and among the students and instructors is unrivaled there.  In fact, borrowing equipment may even help you make a more informed decision about what equipment you like and that you don't.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Really? Are you up to that level of training where you would be accepted? Probably not.
If so, it is likely that you would already have that equipment  Most of my stuff is issued.

The "some of the classes" you refer too are the Shoot House classes, and while they are open enrollment classes, they are also heavily vetted. Okay...and? What's part of the vetting process? Making sure everyone has the gear?

None of the day time square range classes require anything other than what any other square range class requires.

If you want to make excuses, go ahead, but at least be realistic about it. Excuses about what? The costs of classes/additional gear?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Are you up to that level of training where you would be accepted? Probably not.
If so, it is likely that you would already have that equipment  Most of my stuff is issued.

The "some of the classes" you refer too are the Shoot House classes, and while they are open enrollment classes, they are also heavily vetted. Okay...and? What's part of the vetting process? Making sure everyone has the gear?

If you want to make excuses, go ahead, but at least be realistic about it. Excuses about what? The costs of classes/additional gear?

With all due respect, Sir;

Not all of us/Depts are sponsored by BCM, or Team Wendy, or ChemLite, or glow in the dark name tags, or have enough surplus gear to go around. And not everyone can afford all the additional gear that's required for some of the classes. Some are lucky enough to have the gear that they do.

Because of the shoothouse, it's a great place to train, as I said. But it's expensive and not everyone can afford all the additional gear, plus ammo, plus fees. Realistically, other than someone who is LEO or .Mil would have all that additional gear? I know a vast majority of cops that don't even have helmets, let alone plate carriers, etc.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Vetting is as it applies to who we will take for classes.
Consider it to be similar to a background check.

We want to ensure that those who attend the class are not criminals, whacko's, or unqualified (as in for advanced classes.)

Re required equipment.
I will not sacrifice safety for anyone or any reason.
Proper PPE is required, and not a topic for discussion for obvious reasons.

Re cost. Yup. Understood.
If you are not attending a SH class, then all of the above is moot.
The square range classes are les gear intensive and should not present a problem.

Alliance PD has body armor, Team Wendy Helmets, Bravo Company Carbines and other equipment available for those without the gear.
You'll have to contact APD for info, but it can happen.

We have found that most mil guys and cops have most of what they need, but we expect the students to be responsible for their equipment, be we clearly cannot outfit entire classes head to toe.

When I first went on the Job I was told
"The only thing cheaper than a Cop, is two Cops.
The only thing cheaper than two cops is a State Trooper (Correction Officer, Deputy Sheriff etc...)"

To sum it up.
Unless you are doing advanced classes, you don't need advanced gear.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 3/18/2016 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry, let me add this.

There are a great many Civilians (I am one of them) that have helmets, vests, NVG etc.

Many people take it upon themselves to take training very seriously.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I signed up and paid for Carbine 1 in July.  

What is PPE?  

And I have a plate carrier (never wore it and DO NOT want to bring it) and I have a battle belt with 2 magazine holsters but the instructions say:

---Suitable range clothing and PPE required.  Carbine with sling, 3 mags and 500 rounds.

Does this mean I need to be able to carry 3 magazines or just have 1 in and 2 carry?
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What is PPE?  

And I have a plate carrier (never wore it and DO NOT want to bring it) and I have a battle belt with 2 magazine holsters but the instructions say:

---Suitable range clothing and PPE required.  Carbine with sling, 3 mags and 500 rounds.

Does this mean I need to be able to carry 3 magazines or just have 1 in and 2 carry?
View Quote

Personal Protective Equipment.   In the case of carbine 1,  that would be eye/ear protection.  You may want kneepads as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Personal Protective Equipment.   In the case of carbine 1,  that would be eye/ear protection.  You may want kneepads as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is PPE?  

I would recommend being able to carry 3 magazines on your body, with a 4th in the gun.  That will help your training go smoother.

Additionally, but PPE for a Carbine 1 course, I would add some sort of baseball-style hat.  You will be shooting around others, and the bill of the cap will help deflect any possible brass from other shooters that might hit you.

If you want more information or ideas, feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What is PPE?  

View Quote

Capcapcapcap,

If you go back to my web site, there is an informative page titled Coming to Class. It will answer most of your questions and provide a generic gear list.

The Course description will also have a gear list.

Don't bring a plate carrier- it is unnecessary and will just wear you out.

Re  magazines. You bring three. EAG will provide you with 4 more.
While you only will generally use 3 mags per relay, having more loaded mags when you get to class will make life easier for you during the class.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Snip**

If you go back to my web site, there is an informative page titled Coming to Class. It will answer most of your questions and provide a generic gear list.

View Quote

Because I looked it up, here's the link Coming To Class
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip**

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#28]
RIP Pat.

We are diminished.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1864908_Pat_Rogers_has_passed_on_.html

ETA: If anyone doesnt know who the man posting in this thread was, heres a tribute from the owner of BCM

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/05/04/bcm-remembers-pat-rogers/
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Well that's too bad it sounds like he was a great guy.  I was hoping to take one of his classes in Alliance.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

RIP Pat, Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:46:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top