Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2015 2:11:55 AM EDT
Simple question. If not what do you carry? or if you do how do you carry it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Benchmade 5300sbk.
Clipped on my front right pocket.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I will be. It should be here today.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]

A couple of these are "autos"....I carry them in my pocket like most people...

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I always thought that it was illegal to carry one. I guess I'm wrong.

Admittedly I don't know anything about knife laws...
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
As far as I can gather, they're legal to own in Ohio. Carrying one concealed is a different matter. Seems most all jurisdictions are different.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As far as I can gather, they're legal to own in Ohio. Carrying one concealed is a different matter. Seems most all jurisdictions are different.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just wanted see if anybody open carried them or if they just have them clipped them  in their pocket like any other knife. The laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I guess this was a dumb thread....
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What is an "auto" knife? A switchblade? Aren't those illegal to own under Fed law?

I have a spring-assist knife...not illegal as far as I know. If it is, then knife laws are pretty poorly enforced. Every farmer, redneck, and warehouse worker has one clipped to their pants around here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is an "auto" knife? A switchblade? Aren't those illegal to own under Fed law?

I have a spring-assist knife...not illegal as far as I know. If it is, then knife laws are pretty poorly enforced. Every farmer, redneck, and warehouse worker has one clipped to their pants around here.
View Quote

An auto knife is a knife that can deploy on it's own by a push of a button. They're legal to own it just varies state to state and then it can vary by city to city. Ohio law allows for the ownership and open carry of any type of knife as far as i know.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I've carried a Boker Mini AK as my auto envelope opener/box cutter.  It's a tool, not a SD knife.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
EDC, yes everyday.  Not nearly the weapon as the G19 I am always carrying.   That is concealed.  The benchmade is a tool.  Not concealed, as it has the pocket clip.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

An auto knife is a knife that can deploy on it's own by a push of a button. They're legal to own it just varies state to state and then it can vary by city to city. Ohio law allows for the ownership and open carry of any type of knife as far as i know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe Ballistic Knives are the only illegal type. I might be wrong but I think I looked it up awhile back.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov--2277

My carry.  reasonable price, works great and will hold a decent edge.  For $35.00 it's a great buy.

It did need some break in.  The button was tight and needed some use and a little teflon to get it perfect.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
It is illegal to carry as a concealed weapon. To lazy to cite the law. I carry a benchmade 3550 daily clipped to my right rear pocket. If exposed on one side it's no longer concealed. Also it is a tool, my sig is my concealed weapon.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I sometimes carry an auto knife. Clipped to my pocket .

But, I normally carry a Spyderco knife with "the WAVE"  its much faster to deploy than an auto knife. I dont do this for self defense or anything. I just find that having a knife I can use with one hand is convenient.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Its legal to own it, but illegal to transport it, carry it or use it unless one arm only or leo, and some military as well.
the law
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Its legal to own it, but illegal to transport it, carry it or use it unless one arm only or leo, and some military as well.
the law
View Quote

Stupid law.

So does this apply to so called "spring assist" knives as well as switchblades? If so, then I'll say again that this is not enforced at all where I live or anywhere I've been
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just wanted see if anybody open carried them or if they just have them clipped them  in their pocket like any other knife. The laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I guess this was a dumb thread....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a result of this thread, I googled it and SKIMMED a few of the results. I still don't really understand what is legal.
Over the years, I have read all kinds of different things on this subject. What is true, I don't know.

I have never seen the need to own an auto knife. But, I have always wanted them just because they are a forbidden fruit. From a practical standpoint, they don't really do anything for me.

Something that has always interested me is when "they" come out with a law, somebody else comes up with a work-around that often times is better. And this innovation was developed because of the law.
I mentioned that I carry a Spyderco knife, with "the WAVE". For those of you who don't know what this is, it is nothing more than a notch or hook machined into the top of the blade. When you remove the knife from your pocket, this notch catches the fabric of your pants and opens the blade. There is no spring, or button. The knife won't open with gravity. Yet, the instant the knife is out of your pocket, it is open. And yes, you can easily remove the knife from your pocket without opening it, if you so desire.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As a result of this thread, I googled it and SKIMMED a few of the results. I still don't really understand what is legal.
Over the years, I have read all kinds of different things on this subject. What is true, I don't know.

I have never seen the need to own an auto knife. But, I have always wanted them just because they are a forbidden fruit. From a practical standpoint, they don't really do anything for me.

Something that has always interested me is when "they" come out with a law, somebody else comes up with a work-around that often times is better. And this innovation was developed because of the law.
I mentioned that I carry a Spyderco knife, with "the WAVE". For those of you who don't know what this is, it is nothing more than a notch or hook machined into the top of the blade. When you remove the knife from your pocket, this notch catches the fabric of your pants and opens the blade. There is no spring, or button. The knife won't open with gravity. Yet, the instant the knife is out of your pocket, it is open. And yes, you can easily remove the knife from your pocket without opening it, if you so desire.

https://youtu.be/MNBUuk71GGY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/MNBUuk71GGY

People like you are why my wallet hates ARFcom.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#19]
The Spydercos are the budget version of the "wave".
The actual Emerson knives are three times the money. Appearently this is patented or something and Syderco has a business agreement with Emerson to use this feature on their knives.

I have carried these knives for years. 15 years at least.
I started out with an Emerson. then I got another Emerson (a buddy of mine was an authorized dealer and I got them at cost). Then when Spyderco came out with their version, I have been through three of them because I am afraid to lose a knife that cost several hundred dollars (the Emersons).

When I have shown this to some people over the years, they tried to nit pick it; but I have found no downside to it.
For example, no it doesn't tear your pants no matter how many times you use it.

One upside that is kind of tin foil hatish type thing, but if you are stopped and if you would be questioned about the knife, you can simply take it out of your pocket and demonstrate opening it with two hands like any other common pocket knife. If someone doesn't know what that hook is on the blade, it is just another pocket knife.

I can't tell you how many thousand times in my life I was holding something that I wanted to cut and needed/wanted to get out my knife and open it easily with one hand. Yes, you could use an auto knife, but why ? When you can use something like this that is perfectly legal with no grey area. And which is faster to deploy ?
I own auto knives. I probably have a dozen of them. But they almost never leave the house. The good ones, I am afraid to lose. Years ago, I bought a Buck 110 that was converted to auto and ended up losing it at work  I own an out the front auto knife that I bought to use at work but again, one day it came up missing. I ended up finding it under my car seat but I never carried it again because I paid like $300 for it.

I also own a couple auto knives that I bought in Mexico that are gigantic. They are really cool, but not something you would really carry. One of them is probably close to a foot long when it is open.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top