Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2015 2:14:47 PM EDT
Anyone here a member? Its a cheap membership at $35/annually.

Before I go giving away my hard earned money I want to hear people's input on whether or not they provided enough lobbying at the state level to warrant my membership.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a member, I think they played an important role in the recent changes to gun laws.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
BFA is good to go. I'm glad they are fighting for our rights in Ohio.

A year or two back they were recognized by the NRA an influential 2A rights organization for the nation. Can't remember exactly the name of the award.

They are the good guys and on our side.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
They are well organized and fight hard for our rights.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I totally agree with your observation!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#5]
how do they compare with Ohioans for concealed carry?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree that they fight hard but even more importantly they are effective.  I am a member and prior to joining I would contribute whenever they were taking on issues that were important to me.  I have not regretted giving them my money.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

how do they compare with Ohioans for concealed carry?
View Quote

OFCC is another great organization that has done a lot of good for firearms owners here in OH but I don't know how they would compare. From my perspective it seems like BFA is more visible but I don't know as much about OFCC.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#8]

BFA has done more for RKBA in Ohio in the past 10 years than all others in the past 30 years combined.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Nate19. PM, email or phone me if you have any specific questions about Buckeye Firearms Association (or Foundation or PAC)

JLE
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
While I haven't joined the BFA as a member, I do give them $25 every few months for their raffles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#12]
BFA is a great org.  The work they do is worth the $35/year and whatever i spend on raffle tickets.  I actually got to meet one of the leaders (Jim, i think) at a Tac Rifle class at TDI.  He is a genuinely good guy and in the brief conversations I had with him, I got the strong sense that he and BFA are truly vesting in protecting our gun rights.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While I haven't joined the BFA as a member, I do give them $25 every few months for their raffles.
View Quote

I know it can be confusing but the Foundation is separateby  from the Association.  Even though most of the leaders and volunteers are the same, they are two totally separate entities. This is mainly to stay legal on taxes and to comply with campaign finance laws.

Buckeye Firearms Foundation - 501c3
The foundation runs the raffles since per Ohio laws only a non-profits can run raffles. This is the nonprofit educational charity where we focus on youth firearm safety and education, we provide free training for any Ohio school who chooses to have armed staff as part of their safety plan and we sue Cleveland every few years when they forget the last time we spanked them.  Donation to the foundation can come from any source and may be tax deductible if you don't get any benefit from your donation (IE. not for raffle tickets). The foundation can NOT influence elections or candidates or support specific legislation.  We have to provide specific public benefit from all our work. The annual Buckeye Bash fund raiser dinner held in Columbus each spring benefits the foundation also.

Buckeye Firearms Association - 501c4
This is the main advocacy organization.  It has the memberships and hosts most of the shooting and seminar events like the Blast at TDI, Masad Ayoob, Greg Elifritz, Dave Spaulding and others.  Donations to the association can come from any source and are not tax deductible.  The association can engage in general advocacy but can not support specific candidates

Buckeye Firearms Association PAC - Ohio Political Action Committee
This is where we started back in 2002 but have since moved most of the opporations to one of the others do to limits on PACs.  A PAC has very strict campaign finance laws we have to follow.  Donations can only come from individuals (no corporations or businesses) and they all must be reported to the Ohio Secretary of State.  This is the only entity which can legally influence election or support specific candidates.  Funding for the PAC currently does not have a good source.  A few donors support the PAC but new sources have to be developed to continue to provide voter guides, issue positions and direct support of candidates.

If you have any specific questions on any of the three groups I will try my best to answer them.

Joe Eaton
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I know it can be confusing but the Foundation is separateby  from the Association.  Even though most of the leaders and volunteers are the same, they are two totally separate entities. This is mainly to stay legal on taxes and to comply with campaign finance laws.

The foundation runs the raffles since per Ohio laws only a non-profits can run raffles. This is the nonprofit educational charity where we focus on youth firearm safety and education, we provide free training for any Ohio school who chooses to have armed staff as part of their safety plan and we sue Cleveland every few years when they forget the last time we spanked them.  Donation to the foundation can come from any source and may be tax deductible if you don't get any benefit from your donation (IE. not for raffle tickets). The foundation can NOT influence elections or candidates or support specific legislation.  We have to provide specific public benefit from all our work. The annual Buckeye Bash fund raiser dinner held in Columbus each spring benefits the foundation also.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I try to give you guys money every time that you do.  It's my penance for living in the city...

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is the main advocacy organization.  It has the memberships and hosts most of the shooting and seminar events like the Blast at TDI, Masad Ayoob, Greg Elifritz, Dave Spaulding and others.  Donations to the association can come from any source and are not tax deductible.  The association can engage in general advocacy but can not support specific candidates

This is where we started back in 2002 but have since moved most of the opporations to one of the others do to limits on PACs.  A PAC has very strict campaign finance laws we have to follow.  Donations can only come from individuals (no corporations or businesses) and they all must be reported to the Ohio Secretary of State.  This is the only entity which can legally influence election or support specific candidates.  Funding for the PAC currently does not have a good source.  A few donors support the PAC but new sources have to be developed to continue to provide voter guides, issue positions and direct support of candidates.

If you have any specific questions on any of the three groups I will try my best to answer them.

Joe Eaton
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe Eaton

I guess I wasn't paying attention and didn't know BFA was no longer doing all three of those.  I don't spend much time on the BFA site (it's a fine site, I just spend time elsewhere); maybe get the word out via email in the weekly BFA newsletter?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#16]

I have watched Ohio's gun laws go from retarded to pretty damn good over the past 15 years.  If it wasnt for the BFA, our laws would still be on the retard level.  They have accomplished things that everyone said could not be achieved in Ohio.  For an organization that does not have much money, they really have their shit squared away.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry (OFCC). My understanding is that there was a differance in opinion for the future of OFCC, and that "someone" stole some/all of OFCC's treasury money, and started BFA.

Can someone from BFA dispute/verify this?

I have seen some good work done by BFA. It's just that no one has "come clean" on there origin.

Perhaps "Knight of the old code" will comment?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

BFA has done more for RKBA in Ohio in the past 10 years than all others in the past 30 years combined.
View Quote

This. Ohio has gotten steadily better and BFA is largely to credit for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've been over on OFCC since '04 when I got my carry license.  I've never heard this rumor and I have some friends who are much more active there than myself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry (OFCC). My understanding is that there was a differance in opinion for the future of OFCC, and that "someone" stole some/all of OFCC's treasury money, and started BFA.

I have seen some good work done by BFA. It's just that no one has "come clean" on there origin.

I've been over on OFCC since '04 when I got my carry license.  I've never heard this rumor and I have some friends who are much more active there than myself.

I was a member over at OFCC when they only had 50 members in the state. There was a lot of butt hurt there concerning BFA and the power brokers were trying to put them out of business.

I don't know all the details they were trying to keep it all hush hush. They started getting heavy handed running the show and I left.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was a member over at OFCC when they only had 50 members in the state. There was a lot of butt hurt there concerning BFA and the power brokers were trying to put them out of business.   I don't know all the details they were trying to keep it all hush hush. They started getting heavy handed running the show and I left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a member over at OFCC when they only had 50 members in the state. There was a lot of butt hurt there concerning BFA and the power brokers were trying to put them out of business.   I don't know all the details they were trying to keep it all hush hush. They started getting heavy handed running the show and I left.

That's the last time I was there. When they put an end to all political conversation and the mods started getting too big for their britches, I left and never looked back. There was a lot of great people there. Old man Todd was a great mod for that board. There was also a gentleman in the reloading forum that helped me out tremendously but got the ban hammer for not adhering to the no political talk rule,unfortunately I can't remember his screen name.

I learned a lot from OFCC, and am truly grateful for the good things that they have done for Ohio gun rights. It was a shame that they made a stupid decision and drove some of the members away.

Also, the young guy mod who was a going to school to be a lawyer was a total prick.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That's the last time I was there. When they put an end to all political conversation and the mods started getting too big for their britches, I left and never looked back. There was a lot of great people there. Old man Todd was a great mod for that board. There was also a gentleman in the reloading forum that helped me out tremendously but got the ban hammer for not adhering to the no political talk rule,unfortunately I can't remember his screen name.

I learned a lot from OFCC, and am truly grateful for the good things that they have done for Ohio gun rights. It was a shame that they made a stupid decision and drove some of the members away.

Also, the young guy mod who was a going to school to be a lawyer was a total prick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They jacked a lot of good people that really made the forums.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard this rumor for years.  I know a guy who knows a guy...

It hasn't stopped me from joining BFA because I see the work that they are doing and the progress that they are making.  I still support many of the raffles too.  I trust my source and it sucks if the info is true but at this point I think that the BFA is the more active and effective of the two advocacy groups.  I support both groups when I can.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is totally false.  The OFCC PAC and the OFCC Inc were always separate entities even though there was some overlap in volunteers just as you see in both groups now.  In 2005, the leadership of the OFCC PAC dropped its sponsored status (All this allowed was the PAC to solicit OFCC Incs members a couple of times a year for money, all accounts, leadership and other items were totally separate from each other as required by Ohio campaign finance laws) and broadened the focus beyond concealed carry.  The original OFCC PAC is the entity which became Buckeye Firearms Association PAC after the status change.  (See above for descriptions of all the entities which now separately exist and share the Buckeye Firearms name).  Since 2005, OFCC Inc. has started another corporate sponsored PAC again with the OFCC PAC name.

Here are a couple of statements we had at the time.  (If anyone would like to discuss further, please IM or phone me)
Ohioans For Concealed Carry PAC Changes Name to Buckeye Firearms Association PAC
A Public Statement from Buckeye Firearms Association PAC
OFCC Inc. vs Buckeye Firearms Association PAC et. al.

JLE

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the shout out! Joe nailed it :) BFA is most def worth supporting!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
...well did the OP join!?!?  

...BFA is an essential foundation to advancing gun rights in OH, ...very, very effective ...and all around good folks - sign up for the newsletter, participate in the gun/gear raffles, and attend events scheduled throughout the year!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very hard
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top