Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2015 8:52:47 PM EDT
I just learned about this.  They do it every year and it's this coming weekend and supposedly one of the biggest military battle reenactments going.  And it's free.

D-Day Ohio
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Never been, and I only heard about it Thursday.  I already had plans, so I didn't make it.  In for others comments though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Never been to it either but my son went camping with friends a couple weeks ago at Geneva on the Lake and brought some literature home about it and really expressed an interest in going so we're gonna head up Fri, spend the night and check out the reenactment Saturday.

Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never been, and I only heard about it Thursday.  I already had plans, so I didn't make it.  In for others comments though.
View Quote

Didn't make it? Isn't it coming up?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now that I check your link, I see it's THIS weekend, not last weekend like I thought it was.  Might have to check it out, thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  

It is very well orchestrated and put on.  Highly recommend.

My father's neighbor is a WW2 veteran and dad drives him up there every year.  I try to make it with them too.  Always have a great time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I live in Conneaut, and we try to hit the D-Day reenactment every year.  My uncle from Cleveland and some of my wife's family from Texas are coming up this year to watch as well.  It's definitely worth checking out.  It gets better every year as they add more vehicles and volunteers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been going for the past ten years. It's a definite must do! The battle at 3pm on Saturday is the Normandy beach landing..this is the reason I go! U have to see this if nothing else. They've been trying to get paratroopers into the show but keep battling legal issues(maybe this year). It's free but I encourage to donate if you can so it doesn't go away. Go early to get a good seat. Take hearing pro for the little ones...the gunners on the bluff let it rip!!!
It's supposed to be the biggest in the U.S.  

Hope everyone gets to go...this will be the 1st year I can't.

I used post 87 on this so you know it's a good time!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been there every year except lat year when I was at my fathers funeral.

The people running it now are total douche bags and only care about the numbers in the crowd while hiding behind the vets.

Few of our guys will ever go back and we are not going this year. Most of the SS guys are closet Neo-Nazi's. Not worth supporting when it is a Nazi fest on the Axis side and the allied side is mostly Canadian.

Enjoy it if you go, but it is mostly a B.S. event for neo's and Canadians when you get down to it.

The Canadians a GREAT guys for the most part, but the Germans come in from all over from the East coast to the Rockies to 'kill the non believer".  

Our "unit" of German Army troops will never go back.  Enjoy the Nazi fest because that's what it is on the German side.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been a couple of times and think it's a pretty good event.  Here are some pics from a few years ago:

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/Buckeye67/library/D-Day%20Conneaut%202005?sort=2&page=1

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
It was epic this year. Best one yet, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Took my daughter to the one last year. Great day !

We get t to ride in a Higgins boat , she was stoked .
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Saw this too late for this year but have it written in on my big picture for next year. Mentioned it to my 10yo this morning and she thought it would be awesome to see. The zoo worked for today but we will be there next year.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Missed ya !  I was in my ARFcom shirt too.  First time there,we liked it, but I was also reminded how much I hate crowds and most people in general.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#16]
photos I took today at the Worlds LARGEST WW2 reenactment..

D-Day Conneaut, over 1,200 re-enactors from across the United States and Canada....over 30,000 visitors.., fighters, bombers, tanks, flame throwers, landing craft and artillery...

photos and videos

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Missed ya !  I was in my ARFcom shirt too.  First time there,we liked it, but I was also reminded how much I hate crowds and most people in general.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got there early yesterday morning and set our chairs up directly behind the German 88 just above ground level.  Great seats.  It was like getting punched in the chest every time that 88 went off.

Not surprised I didn't see you. I was actively looking for my uncle and never found him. 30000 people is a lot to drop in to a town of 12000 people. Traffic afterward was ludicrous.

That being said, I think most of the folks who travel here from out of town for this event are "our" type of people.  I met some older guys from Missouri who commented on my "got ammo?" shirt.  I took their picture for them and we talked guns for quite awhile. Good guys.

Apparently there is a similar D-Day event in Reading, PA in June each year. May have to check that out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#18]
My son and I went for the first time this year also.
Got to go both Fri and Sat.
It truly was an amazing event! We sat about halfway up the "cliff", digging out little holes to sit in without sliding down the hill (referred to by the folks around us as "buttholes") right behind the 88 also.
" />

We tried to ride the Higgins boat on Friday but they were wrapping things up for the day by the time we got there.
Went back first thing Saturday morning and got lucky; the day before they had only been giving rides around the marina and back (because of the high waves I think) but Saturday they took us out of the marina, into the lake and right up to the beach where the dropped the ramp and let us "storm the beach"!
" />
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, that explains the thing that looks like an LST sitting on a flatbed trailer I saw going north on I-71 Wednesday!
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
We've gone three out of the past four years and every time we have gone has been better than the previous trip.  We were late setting up for the invasion itself and ended up in front of the lower pavilion right behind the temporary bleachers that they set up and watched the invasion of the "Commonwealth" beach for the first time.  They had a Panzer II set up over there along with a bunker and several lines of trenches dug in the sand for the Brits/Canadians to assault.  From our vantage point it almost looked as if the troops were assaulting us.  The kids (daughter age 8, son age 7) loved it, especially whenever the 88 went off.

We got really good "seats" for the Maquis attack and the La Fiere bridge battle though, right at the base of the hill just across from the bridge.  My daughter was calling out whenever the German reinforcements came down the road and my son would turn and smile at me every time he heard eight bangs and a *ping!*     Looking forward to going back again next year.  

Edit:  hey, post 87!  

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Damn. This looks awesome!

I might have to take a few days off for next year's event so we can attend.

On a side note, are there any other re-enactments (Civil War and/or Revolutionary War) here in the northern part of the state?

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Damn. This looks awesome!

I might have to take a few days off for next year's event so we can attend.

On a side note, are there any other re-enactments (Civil War and/or Revolutionary War) here in the northern part of the state?

View Quote

Fort Meigs does 1812 reenactments and is located in Perrysburg, OH. They have a great event every Fathers Day weekend that has many different time periods represented. Ft. Meigs
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#23]
It's nice to see something good happen in Conneaut once in a while.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top