Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2015 6:58:01 PM EDT
I know someone who works with the Toledo PD who has said the national guard is being deployed in the Toledo area and are currently en route. Reason is the Algae is back and worse than last year, and they're waiting for the guard to be in the city before announcing the issue. I must not be the only one that's heard it because most supermarkets around having barren water aisles.

Anyone know anyone in the Ohio national guard that's had an unexpected call? The news keeps saying the toxin level is zero, but I find that hard to believe given the time of year and all the rain we've had.

*Update: Water status has changed: http://www.13abc.com/home/headlines/Water-advisory-levels-explained-319623421.html

Have a friend at work (separate from the one mentioned above) who knows someone that works in the water treatment plant. A "Do Not Drink" order will be coming eventually, could be a week or a month though. Most local stores are already limiting the amount of water a person can buy to 2 cases each. Photos of the water/beverage aisle at the Meijer on Central Ave surfaced showing they're already empty. Take appropriate action to be ready for an extended contamination, they're expecting this one to last longer and have higher toxin levels than last year.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It has been another wet summer. If I remember right they said that it was fertilizer run-off from the big rains that caused it last year right? Why would they need The NG though, were there problems last year, or are they there to help distribute safe water.

Either way good luck with the situation...
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Time buy more water before stores in your area start shipping it out to Toledo.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It has been another wet summer. If I remember right they said that it was fertilizer run-off from the big rains that caused it last year right? Why would they need The NG though, were there problems last year, or are they there to help distribute safe water.

View Quote
To my knowledge, the fertilizer runoff and prevailing winds out of the East kept it all contained near the mouth of the the Maumee River last year, which is where our water treatment facility is. The excessive rain this year could be a contributing cause this year I'm sure.

As for the NG, I guess it depends on how bad they expect it to be. My contact in the PD says they'll be there as a peace keeping force, they're worried about riots; if that's true it could be pretty bad. Otherwise I'd think of it as a humanitarian effort. I recall last year water was being shipped here from States away and water distribution stations being set up at local high schools and other public places, but those were all volunteer ran.

I found one other person through a friend of a friend who's actually in the NG, says they're gearing up, so maybe it's not all hogwash. Any announcement on it is expected to come out middle of this week, so maybe even today.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Time buy more water before stores in your area start shipping it out to Toledo.
View Quote
Last year grocery stores were sold out as far as 3 hours from Toledo IIRC.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Fulton County.  ZFG.

I think I'll post on Facebook about powerwashing my house and taking showers if this happens again.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Self answering question FTW.

Sadly, no. Nobody fo'd. It sucked.

I'm on a reservoir..
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm in Fulton County.  ZFG.
I think I'll post on Facebook about powerwashing my house and taking showers if this happens again.
View Quote
I'll be bringing my kids out. Beer for showers?

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have South County Water which is a Michigan extension of the Toledo water.  Showered and drank it last year during the crisis.  I am still here.  

As far as National Guard... Yeah, Camp Perry, home of the 180th Fighter wing, who assisted Toledo last year, is pretty busy right about now.  It's called the National Matches and there are a lot of military personal on base and around the area at the moment.  

No one will riot if it happens again this year, just like no one rioted last year.  People will bitch about the guy sitting along Monroe street selling cases of water for $100 just like last year.  People will drive for a 100 miles to swipe every case of bottled water in sight... Just like last year.  But life will pretty much go on.  

At least we won't have to listen to the Mayor of Toledo this year... As insensitive as that sounds.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll be bringing my kids out. Beer for showers?  
View Quote

Sure. I've got multiple hoses they can use.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Watched the toledo news this morning and they said water quality was good
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Your friend is full of shit (as is Lake Erie from the farm runoff ).
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
So where are all of the national guard at? I have seen zero in the Toledo area.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I still haven't seen any NG around either. I'm starting to think BS at this point, unless there are longer term weather patterns expected and the real issue won't be surfacing for another month. Who knows. If I hear anything more I'll post it up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Updated the OP.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm seriously contemplating putting 2 or 3  trailer loads (53ft box vans) of water up in my Toledo division right now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm seriously contemplating putting 2 or 3  trailer loads (53ft box vans) of water up in my Toledo division right now.
View Quote

I wonder how many cases I can fit in my minivan?  I could buy cases at Costco near Cleveland and then drive to Toledo.  Figure a profit of $15-20 per case.  If I can haul 30 cases per trip that would be at least $450 minus cost of gas.  

This assumes that the water goes to shit and that I don't end up getting shot/sued for being a capitalist.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top