Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2015 7:41:57 PM EDT
Hello.

I am interested in learning to fly a single engine airplane, but need to know what school I should go to. I did a little research it would cost me $75,000 to $85,000 to go to UC Clermont or Bick.
I just want to learn to fly, if you have any experience please me know thank you.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Hello.

I am interested in learning to fly a single engine airplane, but need to know what school I should go to. I did a little research it would cost me $75,000 to $85,000 to go to UC Clermont or Bick.

I just want to learn to fly, if you have any experience please me know thank you.
View Quote

Where in southwest OH?

I'd highly recommend this lovely lady at Wright-Brothers Airport (KMGY) in Springboro.  Personal friend of mine.  The last time I saw her was a year or so ago and it sounded like the rotating door of instructors getting their time and moving to the regionals had pretty much closed.  Sounds like a good group of full time instructors there.

Whatever school you end up at, it's more about the instructor than the school.  If he doesn't listen and have any interest in YOU, fire him.  Now.  I'm an aircraft dispatcher.  International.  I look at and read weather every day.  One of my first instructors insisted on taking 20 minutes to go over the codes and such in weather at the beginning of my lesson.  After the second lesson, he wasn't my instructor anymore.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Cincinnati Area
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:28:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I assume those quotes take you through getting your CFI (instructor).  If all you want is your private certificate call and check some of the smaller airports.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Sporty's has a decent school that doesn't require going through UC.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard sportys being well regarded and know several people that fly there. If I remember right my friend said to get a license was only about 10k
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I call them a few months a go and got the price it was $70,000 without going to school at UC Clermont and get a 2 year degree.
I just need to learn to fly nothing special
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know much about it, but the Civil Air Patrol might be a good resource to contact. I think they still have a post down at Lunken.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The Hanshews are good people but the only school I can recommend given your area is Red Stewart Airfield in Waynesville. You will really learn to fly there. Grass strip, tailwheel planes through first solo, an emphasis on stick and rudder flying, and unbeatable prices. You'll never regret it if you decide to go there.

There's only one answer: Stewart's Aircraft Service (40I)

That's where I trained and fly now. $7,000 total for my license; that includes the airplane, fuel, all test/examiner fees, instructor, books, everything but the gas in the car to get to the airport. IM me if you want to talk more.

(I don't work there, just a satisfied customer)

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I call them a few months a go and got the price it was $70,000 without going to school at UC Clermont and get a 2 year degree.
I just need to learn to fly nothing special
View Quote

Are you sure you asked just for the private certification? I would think that's for commercial.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Hanshews are good people but the only school I can recommend given your area is Red Stewart Airfield in Waynesville. You will really learn to fly there. Grass strip, tailwheel planes through first solo, an emphasis on stick and rudder flying, and unbeatable prices. You'll never regret it if you decide to go there.

That's where I trained and fly now. $7,000 total for my license; that includes the airplane, fuel, all test/examiner fees, instructor, books, everything but the gas in the car to get to the airport. IM me if you want to talk more.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/WeaverJ3Cub/Cubs/IMG_2682_zpsc0315f33.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/WeaverJ3Cub/Aviation%20Chronology/DSC_2809_zps5b47797e.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/WeaverJ3Cub/Aviation%20Chronology/DSC_2609_zps1ff39852.jpg
View Quote

Now THAT looks like fun!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/WeaverJ3Cub/Cubs/IMG_2682_zpsc0315f33.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/WeaverJ3Cub/Aviation%20Chronology/DSC_2809_zps5b47797e.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w428/WeaverJ3Cub/Aviation%20Chronology/DSC_2609_zps1ff39852.jpg
View Quote
I would look here, if Waynesville is not to far away.  Good stick and rudder training is hard to find.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't know whether they'll allow you to do so now, but when I some lessons there I was taught the correct way to "prop" the  Cub and Champ.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
So I talked to my friend that used to be a trainer at sportys in Batavia last night and he said you can get a license for just private flight for about 10-13k depending on how many days a week you have available.  But to get your license for everything like commercial and training it will be about 50-60k
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I talked to my friend that used to be a trainer at sportys in Batavia last night and he said you can get a license for just private flight for about 10-13k depending on how many days a week you have available.  But to get your license for everything like commercial and training it will be about 50-60k
View Quote

FYI, Sporty's is about the most expensive way possible to get your PPL. It honestly pains me to see people follow the glitter and newer airplanes and either leave aviation because of the cost or get less bang for their buck during their training. Great people, but you can get better for less (like, $7000 instead of $10-13k).

I've already given my pitch above. The law of primacy in training is real; you need to have good fundamentals during your primary training and that means "stick-and-rudder" training. Most don't realize the gem we have here in SW Ohio.

And to the poster above, yes they still teach you to hand-prop a C-65. Fun stuff and a good skill to have.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#16]
That airfield is on the way to Spring Valley that is awesome. Thank you for the info I will give them a call here soon. thanks again,
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I actually love being over by that particular airport, its awesome to watch all the "different" stuff in the air over there, like gliders and biplanes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I happened to see this while browsing Amazon.
http://local.amazon.com/columbus/B00L98GRHM/ultimate-discovery-flight-package-with-mrfti?ref_=site_more&cid=site_more

Seems like a cheap way to try out the location.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There's only one answer: Stewart's Aircraft Service (40I)l]
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've heard sportys being well regarded and know several people that fly there. If I remember right my friend said to get a license was only about 10k
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I learned.  It's good, structured training, but you'll learn to be a better pilot for a lot less at Waynesville / Stewart's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Google flight schools.  

I'm long out of touch with general aviation (see the last paragraph) but think a Cessna 152 Trainer will rent for about $90/hour and you need 40 hours in command of an aircraft to qualify.  That's $3600 in just airplane rental alone.  Not sure what instructors charge these days.  Used to be the same price as the airplane but you don't need more (probably) than 20 hours with the instructor in the right seat, another 1800.  Assuming you pick up skills and don't need endless training.  You can self-teach the written with several good books.

Don't forget you need a physical to include vision.

Don't forget that after you get your license there's nowhere to go unless boring holes in the sky amuses you.    Travel?  Without an instrument ticket you'll get stuck somewhere alone the way.  

-- Chuck
View Quote

Really?  I've flown all over the place and never been stuck.  Also, you don't need  physical for light sport, and hopefully soon you won't need one for VFR in most single engine GA aircraft.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top