Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 2:53:50 PM EDT
The latest craze in the AR world seems to be AR pistols. I need a new project, so why not?

Anyone in Ohio know about any legal issues surrounding AR pistols?

I was told that if you buy a lower it is sold and transferred as "Other Firearm," thus allowing you to build it into anything you'd like.

I think there is some confusion about lowers having to be stamped "pistol," or something of that nature. Does anybody have official knowledge one way or the other?

Lastly, as the AR pistol is just that.. a pistol, does that allow for a CHL permit holder to have the pistol loaded in the vehicle with them?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]

I was told that if you buy a lower it is sold and transferred as "Other
Firearm," thus allowing you to build it into anything you'd like.
View Quote

This is correct.  Either a stripped or completed lower, sold without a barreled upper, is considered an "other" firearm and can be assembled into any legal config, including a pistol.  There is no requirement for it to be engraved "pistol".  The key here is what the first, complete assembled configuration of the firearm with that receiver is which will determine what it is.

If it is first completed as a pistol (no stock, and barreled upper attached of any barrel length), then it is a pistol.  As a pistol it can be changed at any time to a rifle by first adding a barrel >16", and then adding a stock, and likewise you can then reverse that and return it to pistol config at any time as well.

If it is first completed as a rifle (stock, and barreled upper with barrel over 16" long), then it is a rifle.  If it starts out this way as a rifle first, then by law it is always a rifle and can never legally be reconfigured into a pistol.

Here in Ohio, there are no specific laws regarding AR type pistols.  No barrel length restrictions or anything.  The only thing is the still currently active law preventing use of magazines that hold over 31 rds, but luckily in less than a month that law will no longer be in effect.

Also, current interpretation on the use of your CHL with an AR pistol it that yes, it does work and as such you can conceal carry one should you choose, but obviously the more practical application of this, as you pointed out, is the ability to have it loaded and ready at hand in a vehicle.

There is a specific section of this site that deals specifically with AR pistols HERE, and should help you with further research on them.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I appreciate it.

While I'm sure most of the time AR pistols seem like a vanity item, I can't help but think it could be a valuable addition to a home/vehicle defense situation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Also please note, to add a vertical grip the pistol must be over 26" in length, and by definition adding a vertical grip changes the weapon from a pistol to a firearm, and therefore not covered under your Ohio CHL so it cannot be loaded in a vehicle.

Angled fore grips do not change the pistol definition.  

I don't always have an AR pistol in my truck, but when I do, its ALWAYS loaded.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is correct.  Either a stripped or completed lower, sold without a barreled upper, is considered an "other" firearm and can be assembled into any legal config, including a pistol.  There is no requirement for it to be engraved "pistol".  The key here is what the first, complete assembled configuration of the firearm with that receiver is which will determine what it is.

If it is first completed as a pistol (no stock, and barreled upper attached of any barrel length), then it is a pistol.  As a pistol it can be changed at any time to a rifle by first adding a barrel >16", and then adding a stock, and likewise you can then reverse that and return it to pistol config at any time as well.

If it is first completed as a rifle (stock, and barreled upper with barrel over 16" long), then it is a rifle.  If it starts out this way as a rifle first, then by law it is always a rifle and can never legally be reconfigured into a pistol.

Here in Ohio, there are no specific laws regarding AR type pistols.  No barrel length restrictions or anything.  The only thing is the still currently active law preventing use of magazines that hold over 31 rds, but luckily in less than a month that law will no longer be in effect.

Also, current interpretation on the use of your CHL with an AR pistol it that yes, it does work and as such you can conceal carry one should you choose, but obviously the more practical application of this, as you pointed out, is the ability to have it loaded and ready at hand in a vehicle.

There is a specific section of this site that deals specifically with AR pistols HERE, and should help you with further research on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I was told that if you buy a lower it is sold and transferred as "Other Firearm," thus allowing you to build it into anything you'd like.

My question is, what if you don't know the origin of the stripped lower?  I have bought lowers I have had 8-10 years sitting in my safe.  I don't remember if they were put on forms other, or not.  What if someone bought a lower face to face at gun show or something.  That lower might have changed hands 10 times.  Who knows what it has been built into in somebodies basement then stripped again and sold.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also please note, to add a vertical grip the pistol must be over 26" in length, and by definition adding a vertical grip changes the weapon from a pistol to a firearm, and therefore not covered under your Ohio CHL so it cannot be loaded in a vehicle.

Angled fore grips do not change the pistol definition.  

I don't always have an AR pistol in my truck, but when I do, its ALWAYS loaded.
View Quote

I've seen that the ATF says VERTICAL fore grip in their definition.. but that just seems like the whole SIG Brace issue that they'll eventually strike down. I guess we'll see.

I will be keeping my build under 26" so that it is legal to cruise around with me in the vehicle.

Regarding the last post, the specific lower I'm buying is new, from the manufacturer - so I can rest assured this lower has not been used for any other builds. I don't know how in any other situation you could be 100% it wasn't used for something else, stripped, then sold.

I feel like I keep trying to talk myself out of building an AR pistol because its a foreign area to me - but then I sign on and see how much you guys love yours. Haha.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Even if it's 26" you're good to go in the vehicle, just not with vertical grip.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it being over 26" disqualify it as a pistol and thus make it fall under "no rifles with loaded magazines in them" law in Ohio?

I want to keep mine, without any doubt, classified as a pistol so it can be loaded at the ready in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does it being over 26" disqualify it as a pistol and thus make it fall under "no rifles with loaded magazines in them" law in Ohio?

I want to keep mine, without any doubt, classified as a pistol so it can be loaded at the ready in the vehicle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Overall length only comes into play when you attach the VFG, then it changes classification, either to an AOW if the overall length is under 26", or a "firearm" if the length is over 26"

There is no federal or Ohio state law placing any maximum barrel or overall length on a pistol.  But to maintain that pistol definition, it cannot have a second "short stock that extends below the plane of the bore", ie, no vertical fore grip.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My question is, what if you don't know the origin of the stripped lower?  I have bought lowers I have had 8-10 years sitting in my safe.  I don't remember if they were put on forms other, or not.  What if someone bought a lower face to face at gun show or something.  That lower might have changed hands 10 times.  Who knows what it has been built into in somebodies basement then stripped again and sold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you didn't buy it new, don't risk it. With the availability of sub-$50 virgin stripped lowers today, just go with a new one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No.

Overall length only comes into play when you attach the VFG, then it changes classification, either to an AOW if the overall length is under 26", or a "firearm" if the length is over 26"

There is no federal or Ohio state law placing any maximum barrel or overall length on a pistol.  But to maintain that pistol definition, it cannot have a second "short stock that extends below the plane of the bore", ie, no vertical fore grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

this. you can have a pistol rocking a M16 style upper with a 20 inch barrel and it will be a pistol until you attach the VFG.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top