Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2015 8:45:55 PM EDT
I know it's my doody and country etc

but i am going to be out of the country during that date they want me, do i need to provide proof?

i didn't get a chance to open the letter since i am out of town currently, my wife told me

advice?

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You can simply write to them and explain your situation. I got out of it many years ago b caus my father was in the hospital, although they didn't ask for proof. They were nice about it and wished him well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Just don't return the paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
wouldn't that make me subject to arrest?

the front of the letter already has the date set.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did your wife sign for the letter?

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

there was nothing to sign, it was just delivered regular USPS
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Depending on your county there might be an excuse form included.  When I got a summons I had to pick a different week in order to be excused.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]
In my county I just called the bailiff and explained my issue, they said no problem your excused
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Montgomery County is not very understanding. My wife and I both work in health care and neither of us could get excused. Even the fact that reporting would mean our respective workplaces would be unable to perform any diagnostic patient exams during our absences made no difference.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:57:22 AM EDT
[#10]
You will be excused if you are going to be out of the country.  I would NOT just ignore it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Call them and tell them if they force you to appear no matter what the case you're finding the person guilty and believe the justice system is ran by a bunch of thugs who take bribes...

Or what I did is tell them I'm an LEO and am very biased to any case brought before this county.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Call them and tell them if they force you to appear no matter what the case you're finding the person guilty and believe the justice system is ran by a bunch of thugs who take bribes...

Or what I did is tell them I'm an LEO and am very biased to any case brought before this county.
View Quote

"The police wouldn't have arrested them if they were not guilty, right?"  is guaranteed to get you excused.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Honestly, I would call or read the thing and go online. In Cleveland I was able to register online and postpone for like 5 months until I served.

It was awesome. I really enjoyed jury duty.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you answer the questionnaire informing them you are LEO they will send you a dismissal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
In Cleveland I also postponed .  I got paid thru work so I didn't care.  I wanted to be Downtown when it was nice  out .  There were people, lets just say Democrats that just refused to participate.  They made them sit in a room till 3:30 everyday. Once you got picked for a jury it was like 9:30-3:00 with a 1 1/2 - 2 hour lunch.  Judges and Lawyers  wanted to be gone before rush hour.  It was interesting.  A jury is a scary thing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#17]

If you answer the questionnaire informing them you are LEO they will send you a dismissal.
View Quote

Depends on the case. I couldn't get out of jury duty last year since it was for a civil trial and not a criminal case.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Financial hardship.  Your employer or if you are self-employed you will lose everything you have.

I always wanted to do Jury Duty but it would finish me off financially.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/uqH_Y1TupoQ

Honestly, I would call or read the thing and go online. In Cleveland I was able to register online and postpone for like 5 months until I served.

It was awesome. I really enjoyed jury duty.
View Quote

I still think Ohio needs to pass a Full Informed Juror Act.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]
When I got summoned years ago I was told the only ay out was if you were self employed and would suffer financial hardship or if you were the primary care giver for someone who needed care.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe it's just me, but innocent until proven guilty still means something. If the roles were reversed, and I was a defendant, I would love a guy like me on my jury. It actually scares the crap out of me that if I ever ended up needing my right to a jury of my peers, all I would get is 12 people who "couldn't get out of jury duty"
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I an curious how long does the process work? Can I be possibly out of not working for two weeks?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I was there at the courthouse basically sitting on my butt for two weeks, every once in a while they would let you go early like around two if they got the word that they would not be choosing another jury that day.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Which court is it?

Some matters are pretty simple and do not last very long.

I don't recall ever spending more than three days on jury duty.

Now, if you get on a jury for an involved criminal case, it may drag on some.In most matters, unless they have a LOT of witnesses or a LOT of evidence, I can't imagine how the trial could last much more than a day for the prosecution and a day for the defense. That's how my first jury went. One additional partial day for deliberations, which I seem to recall were only a few hours. I'm pretty sure we came back with our verdict before noon.

The second time I was on a jury, it was a civil matter and only lasted the afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#25]
i am claiming i am a felon and no hablo english
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

i am claiming i am a felon and no hablo english
View Quote

go get a MS-13 tattoo

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got out of it 3 times. The owner of the company wrote a letter saying that my position and business demanded my presents and the company would suffer looses without me. The fourth time I went in but ended up just having to call in every day for 2 weeks.
My wife has been called up 3 times and ended up serving on a 3 day trial and then she was dismissed from the rest of her duty.
I called Butler County and asked why we are requested so much. They said its by registered voters and voter registration is very low in this county.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Tell them you are aware of Jury Nullification and will apply it if you do not agree with charges brought against the defendent.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I had my employer write a letter saying what a hardship it would put them through without me......only if it were true
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Simple. Tell them your racist.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#32]
i have been officially excused
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow..This really saddens me..That the majority of you don't want to do your duty as a citizen..But you are the first ones to bitch and moan about Constitutional Rights being infringed...I understand there are hardships and such..Not talking about that, but the ones just coming up with lies, should be ashamed..All I can say is, you reap what you sow..Just hope there never comes a day that you need a jury that will be understanding to your case..You may get some folks like you, that either tried to lie and get out of it, or just don't give a damn..
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#36]
All the white-knighting here about not serving ignores the real issue - compulsory service. Forcing people to do jury duty is wrongheaded, and fosters a climate where many who would otherwise like to serve cannot or it places an undue stress on their work or lives...and they opt out. For someone like me, there are times when serving would be fine and I'd happily do it - yet I don't have a choice when I'm called. They seem to magically choose times that put my job in peril if I'm called away.

I also disagree it's all FSA shitbags, when I served most of the selected pool were retirees...most of them were intelligent and reasonable, too.

Retirees, well, they have the time and are happy to do their duty, as would I be if I could volunteer for jury duty pools at will instead of being compelled by law to do it. They only need so many qualified people, instead of randomly picking 40/12 for every trial, out of the entire voting or D/L population if they relied on volunteer rosters they'd have more qualified and eager people available at any given time instead of unwilling or unable candidates to sort through.

My .02
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#37]
When I have a $50 million deal to close on that week, it's a no go as that will definitely hurt my income and possibly my job. if it was a different month/week then yes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I highly doubt the bus-dependent would even show up. Im sure there's some kind of penalty for not showing up, but is there any enforcement?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You're happy with doddering retirees on your jury?   Are these your peers?  Or the non-GED folks riding the bus?

Compulsory service is a long established tradition in America.  Juries are just one.

I have no issues with deferring jury duty for truly important reasons.  But just 'cuz it's inconvenient or you don't like parking near the courthouse is just weaseling.  Geez, I had the housekeeping woman at my office ask me how she could get out of jury duty 'cuz she was too busy!

-- Chuck
View Quote

That you think productive people who worked their entire lives are doddering and not worthy to be my peers says plenty about your state of mind. There are few segments of society I'd want more than people with the collective life experience and wisdom of people who have lived a full life as taxpaying citizens.

I don't give a shit if it's tradition, compulsory service is a bad idea and brings in more people who have no business being there than not. That's the problem.

Nothing in our society should be forced. NOTHING. If you value your civic duty, as I and many people do, we'd gladly sign up when it's something we're able to do. Would your rather have people willing and able, or people who get forced into it?

People who think like you are the reason we have a fucked up justice system.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top