Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2015 10:34:11 AM EDT
I have been trying to hire a facility mechanic for almost 5 months now.  I've had a few decent candidates come through my door but none that have the right combination of skills, experience and personality to fit the operation.  Ten years ago, the problem was wading through a deep pool of applicants to find the perfect fit, now I'm struggling to find a reasonable fit.

I guess the trades are just suffering because everyone want to go to college a make a million bucks right out of school... like that happens.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#1]
My company has had to team up with the local community colleges and re-start the apprenticeship programs for mechanics and electricians.  So far it has worked out very well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard the same thing numerous times lately. They either can't pass the background checks, or they don't want to work 6 days a week (48 hours), and never mind finding someone that will fit all your needs.

I'm not sure what is up though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
are you paying below the industry standard, how much and benefits etc?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
the diesel mechanics on the North Shore seem to be writing their own tickets from what I see.

my best friend in Cleveland has a truck service company doing all kinds of diesel mechanics' work and he's had no luck hiring.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
we have a hard time finding quality people too.  But sometimes I think its because of the crappy pay and long hours.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Just hired two in Youngstown area.

One was a younger - 24 - tanker mechanic with a lot of experience.

Another is an older guy, 40+ - dump truck mechanic.

I had to head hunt them both and I ended up paying a a significant amount more then I was expecting.

I also hired my head mechanic's son, fresh out of trade school. Wow they teach those kids nothing at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I know 3 guys that went into wrenching in their early 20's.  They are all around 30 now, and they've all moved on to different jobs.  One quit the day a jack stand slipped on a semi, one quit after working 60 hours weeks, every single week, for a couple years straight.  The other just had personal differences with management.  They all hated the work and couldn't wait to get out of it.  I know the one guy had tons of trouble finding mechanics jobs around Columbus 6-8 years ago, and he had just got out of the diesel mechanic school in Nashville.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of the guys in my shop are going to be retiring in the next year to three.
These guys have been wrenching 30+ years and it shows.
They did hire some kids fresh from school and they were beyond worthless as they didn't know a thing or thought since they went to a trade school they knew everything and expected top pay right off the bat.

In the Cleveland area there will be a large need for good guys as there is going to be a lot of guys retiring from large and small shops.

One other thing I noticed is that the old guys are so set in their way that they refuse to adapt to the changing issues modern truck engines are now having with emission requirements and other stuff.

Its going to be a wild ride that will see some very competitive paying for shops to get guys that know what they are doing.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
What part of Ohio are you looking for a Tech?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
super long lurker and small poster here

lets face it I have been a master tech for many years I cut my teeth at Lamborghini of Beverly hills, I an a certified Ferrari technician as well as a master technician for over 30 years and yes I have over 140k in tools ... that are  mine

todays tech are freaking part hangers , that what the code says so that must mean that's the problem ..yea.. none can diagnosis a car let alone hang the part with out screwing something up  .. I have worked with ASE master tech that couldn't diagnosis a freaking vacuum leak ...  all want top pay with no experience .. yea you can pass a test that doesn't mean you can fix a dammed car .. personally with my background and experience and the quality of work I can kick out I wont get out of bed for less than 60k a year .. but pat the parts hanger wants 40 a year to strip out drain plugs ... wanna know how many times I have walked by a car and said that's your problem or this is the problem because of that code you have  or fixed and diagnosed after they spent 200-500 dollars at auto zone because some flunky has a code reader and  cannot say 13 words ( is this here or to go .. would you like fries with that order)   If I had a dollar for every one I could retire  

Don't get me started on technicians of today ... they are a joke at best  and I wouldn't let them touch my lawn mower .. and the flip side of that I have interviewed with a few places and they promise the world and you get crap in return ....  I have come to the conclusion that great technicians and great places to work are almost non existent...

and yes I get very sick of fixing other technicians comebacks that they get paid to fix ..been there done it

yea good to great technicians are hard to find ... that what makes me sick in my field of work  sorry for the rant but this hits a nerve with me ..... because I take pride in my work unlike most in my field

Rich .the hummer guy
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of Ohio are you looking for a Tech?
View Quote

I'm located in Powell, which is just north of Columbus.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The pay is right at the industry average and the benefits are pretty good.  Especially the country club membership for the family.  It's a golf course mechanic position.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The pay is right at the industry average and the benefits are pretty good.  Especially the country club membership for the family.  It's a golf course mechanic position.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't mind, send me an im with info on the position. I may know someone that's interested.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you don't mind, send me an im with info on the position. I may know someone that's interested.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM sent
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
As being a 28 year old tech and started a a dealer when I was 16. I must say everything you are saying about younger techs is a system problem not a individuals problem. I grew up on the flat rate system and went to Sinclairs gm program. The manufacturer doesn't want you to go about fixing a vehicle the proper way. They want you to fallow their procedure and go off their fault code diagnosis. If you don't fallow their path despite it being completely wrong you won't get paid for it. Then after that you don't get paid for the full job because your warranty administrator won't book it right. I've learned to be such a better tech by working in a aftermarket shop where the most important priority is taking care of the customer verses making the dealership and manufacturer as much money as possible.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#17]
you think finding auto techs is hard? try looking for a Harley Davidson tech....... They think because they paid 30 grand for a tech school they know everything and need to make 60 grand a year. I have 2 that are ate the fuck up but they are my only 2
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:22:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I guess the trades are just suffering because everyone want to go to college a make a million bucks right out of school... like that happens.
View Quote

No, people go to college and expect to be able to get a job that pays better then a unskilled job, that's why I started in manufacturing. With a double major associates, and a year work experience the best I could manage in my degree field was $9.90/hour part time. I started working as a machine op for $10.40/hour full time that same year. It also don't help that no one wants to train anyone that is under-qualified since the job market has been flooded with skilled labor since the auto market crash. Combined that with all the people that have retired from skilled jobs during that same time period, as well as the increased health of the job market and you have a lack of skilled labor.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]
To the OP: congrats on the new hire.  He'll serve you well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I've done mechanic work and it sucks, the pay sucks, the hours suck..Especially doing warranty work..Independents used to be able to bring in and pay decent money, but with the way the Auto makers have forced them basically out..It sucks.Then add in that you need thousands of dollars worth of tools and diagnostic equipment..To make shitty pay..No wonder no one's going into it.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top