Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 11:10:52 PM EDT
It recently became legal in ohio to hunt with a "silencer". I was wondering where I can find a good silencer for a DPMS G2 SASS .308?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Specwar 7.62 is a workhorse... think of it as the Honda Civic of cans. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it works and works well.

Capital Armory
Silencer Shop

Those are the two companies I buy my stuff from.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It recently became legal in ohio to hunt with a "silencer". I was wondering where I can find a good silencer for a DPMS G2 SASS .308?
View Quote

Check some of your local dealers, most should be class 3 dealers.  Here is a link to help Ohio Clss 3 dealers

Google is your friend!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the suppressor sub forum in armory
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check out the suppressor sub forum in armory
View Quote

This.

Also, do you plan to stay stationery most the time or walk around, push fields, etc?

If you plan to post up, maybe go with a proven, heavy duty can that suppresses very well, or if you plan to move around a bit, maybe look into some of the lighter offerings, which may or may not suppress as well as some of the bigger cans do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I love OSS silencers.. just my choice..
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
What are you planning to hunt with a 308 in Ohio?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:09:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Feral Hogs, Coyote, Grounghogs etc. Did you think it was illegal to use a .308 in Ohio ?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Feral Hogs, Coyote, Grounghogs etc. Did you think it was illegal to use a .308 in Ohio ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all -- I asked because I wanted to know what one would hunt with a big rifle like that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not at all -- I asked because I wanted to know what one would hunt with a big rifle like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting groundhogs with a 308 is fun.  

OP, you didn't say where in the state you live, but if you are in the NW area, ADCO is a great place for suppressors.  Also, go to the suppressor forum in the armory section.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
errrr... what county do you live?..

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i have shot at groundhogs with a 50 bmg...

ohio law = if its not a deer, we dont care what you use....
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of choices in the .30 caliber arena. It really depends on your budget and what you are looking for.

If you are looking for a simple "hunting" can that is lightweight, has a limited firing schedule (no rapid/auto) and is low cost, the Silencerco Harvester and Griffin Sportsman come to mind.

There are precision cans, cans for dB chasers, cans that are more rugged and rated for full auto fire. It all comes down to your application.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ohio law = if its not a deer, we dont care what you use....
View Quote

I love this, but it almost doesn't make sense, actually, it doesn't make sense, atleast on the deer restrictions, but I'll skip that argument.

Look up the FFL Class 3 license holders in your area and start from there. It's hard to recommend a place without knowing what end of the state you are in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have a YHM 7.62Ti QD. Use on it my .308 bolt gun and my AR15.

Got it from 8mmDale a member here. Don't know if he is still selling silencers .

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Plenty of Choices.  I've bought from multiple dealers in the Columbus area.  If you can get one you want in stock was it times are not as bad as they have been.  Form 3 times have been awful.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#17]
But you can't hunt with a .308 so what's the point?

ETA: I just learned something.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But you can't hunt with a .308 so what's the point?

ETA: I just learned something.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Iron sight armory in Canfield has in stock:

OSS 762
Surefire 762

Coming:
Saker 762
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#21]
As others have asked, "where do you live?" - it would be easier for us to recommend a dealer if we knew where you are (and how far you are willing to travel).

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Check out the Allen Engineering cans at ADCO Firearms
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#24]
do you want a QD or a thread on?
what ever you get GET TITANIUM! ... nothing worse then having a 2+ pound can hanging off the gun...
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
do you want a QD or a thread on?
what ever you get GET TITANIUM! ... nothing worse then having a 2+ pound can hanging off the gun...
View Quote

Just rest it on something
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Getting my first can from Silencer Shop and it will ship to a local dealer. Highly recommend their website at least for information if anything else.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#27]
If i hadn't just got the SilencerCo Saker 762, I'd be buying the new SilencerCo Omega. Will still probably still get an Omega or wait to see what happens with the Omega vs. Gemtech ONE
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:09:21 AM EDT
[#28]
If you live anywhere remotely close to Delaware/Columbus, I highly recommend you visit Blackwing Shooting Center. They're priced just a tad higher than Silencer Shop, but have good stock of SiCo and AAC and will be adding other brands.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#29]
You can't hunt with a bottle neck round. That shouldn't stop you from buying a can though. Surpressors are fun
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I second ncthorn, I have gotten all of my cans their and they do an EXCELLENT job with great prices for a shop with many in stock items. Ask for Eric, he knows his stuff. Plus you can shoot it whenever you visit!

And no, I'm not Eric or work there. I am a member there however.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You can't hunt with a bottle neck round. That shouldn't stop you from buying a can though. Surpressors are fun
View Quote

I wish people would stop spewing this lie.  You can't hunt DEER with a bottle neck round.  Groundhogs, coyotes, wild boar, racoons etc are open game with any center fire rifle round.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I wish people would stop spewing this lie.  You can't hunt DEER with a bottle neck round.  Groundhogs, coyotes, wild boar, racoons etc are open game with any center fire rifle round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That and I believe the proper nomenclature is necked.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#33]
If you're a DIY type of person, roll your own.

That's what I'm doing. Just waiting on certain titanium parts to become available. Should be able to put together 3 almost 100% titanium suppressors for less than the price of a single manufactured one. Plus Form 1 times are reported to be shorter than Form 4.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#34]
As previously mentioned Black Wing Shooting Center in Delaware is an excellent source for in stock cans.  Just picked up three SilencerCo cans with an 'in jail' time of under 4 months.  I was treated very well by the people there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As previously mentioned Black Wing Shooting Center in Delaware is an excellent source for in stock cans.  Just picked up three SilencerCo cans with an 'in jail' time of under 4 months. I was treated very well by the people there.
View Quote

You'd be the first.

But Yeah, they really have a nice selection of suppressors, as well as a lot of other "black rifle" stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You'd be the first.

But Yeah, they really have a nice selection of suppressors, as well as a lot of other "black rifle" stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As previously mentioned Black Wing Shooting Center in Delaware is an excellent source for in stock cans.  Just picked up three SilencerCo cans with an 'in jail' time of under 4 months. I was treated very well by the people there.

You'd be the first.

The sales people have always been nice to me when I've been there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be the first.

Same here. I can't speak for the range or title I items, but when dealing with NFA items they have been really friendly. When I purchased my Black Friday Specwar 556, they were asking me about the internet buzz surrounding the sale and thanked me a couple times for having all my paperwork in line and knowing the process. No complaints here at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Stupid question but if you have an ar15 for SHTF, can you have a suppressor?  I assume if ISIS is waging war anything goes. Can you shoot at the range w one?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Stupid question but if you have an ar15 for SHTF, can you have a suppressor?  I assume if ISIS is waging war anything goes. Can you shoot at the range w one?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No SHTF necessary for suppressor ownership. Shooting at the range would likely depend on the range rules.

ARFCOM has an excellent NFA/Class 3 area in the Armory section.

Start reading in the General Class 3 forum to answer your suppressor/NFA ownership questions (the pinned topics are where you want to start) and then move on to the Suppressors forum for more suppressor specific information.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No SHTF necessary for suppressor ownership. Shooting at the range would likely depend on the range rules.

Start reading in the General Class 3 forum to answer your suppressor/NFA ownership questions (the pinned topics are where you want to start) and then move on to the Suppressors forum for more suppressor specific information.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I have used Cousinos-firearms , black wing, and one that is no longer around. Service was great at all of them. Picked up my first can from Cousinos at like 11:45pm .
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone know who does transfers for a good price around cleveland?  I tried contacting Republic, but the number is disconnected.  Going to try a couple more on the list tomorrow around cleveland.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#44]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_12/400940_Arfcom_Ohio_FFLs_post_here.html&page=2#i5772021
Quoted:
Anyone know who does transfers for a good price around cleveland?  I tried contacting Republic, but the number is disconnected.  Going to try a couple more on the list tomorrow around cleveland.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've tried a couple in the area but now I use Atwell's since their shop is the closest to me. Aaron Wayne Smith is down in Medina. Last I checked with him he wasn't really stocking anything but was doing the Silencer Shop Direct program.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Republic Firearms on Hawke Rd?

I've done transfers with him in the past and have more waiting on F3s. But I've never tried calling, though, all my correspondence has been through e-mail and he responds pretty quickly to those.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top