Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:51:08 AM EDT
Will be visiting my wife's family this weekend. Lately I've been keeping an AR with 4 loaded mags in my trunk, which is GTG in Tn. with an HCP. Is this a legal thing to do in the Buckeye State? Also, we will be traveling in an SUV, which obviously doesn't have a trunk. Does this change anything? To be clear, the rifle is not loaded, just the mags. All of it is in a soft sided case. The mags are 30 round USGI. Do different cities have different rules? Will be going through Cincinnati and Dayton enroute to Springfield. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically,  loaded mags have to be cased separately than the rifle.  If your rifle case has two zippered compartments, then its fine.  If your case has mag pouches that close with zipper/zelcro on the outside,  its fine.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRR if you have a CCW permit recognized in Ohio you can have loaded rifle mags in your car, as long as the rifle itself is unloaded. Otherwise the mags must be unloaded and kept separate from ammo
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRR if you have a CCW permit recognized in Ohio you can have loaded rifle mags in your car, as long as the rifle itself is unloaded. Otherwise the mags must be unloaded and kept separate from ammo
View Quote

Totally incorrect information

Ohio CCW has NO bearing on rifles whatsoever.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/hb495-definition-unloaded-gun-now-fixed-all-ohioans-no-guns-signs-come-down-statehouse
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/hb495-definition-unloaded-gun-now-fixed-all-ohioans-no-guns-signs-come-down-statehouse

Having your CCW permit does not allow you to transport loaded magazines. ORC allows for it. A CCW permit allows you to transport loaded handgun magazine inserted into the handfgun. That's it.

ORC 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(5)

(a) "Unloaded" means

, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question , and one of the following applies:

(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Under ORC, anyone can transport a loaded rifle magazine in their vehicle as long as the magazine is separate from the rifle. That can be a separate compartment in the rifle case.

For CCW permit holders, are you saying they can

1) have the loaded magazine inserted into the rifle, or
2) store the loaded magazine with the rifle in the same compartment?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Under ORC, anyone can transport a loaded rifle magazine in their vehicle as long as the magazine is separate from the rifle. That can be a separate compartment in the rifle case.

View Quote

All I'm saying is that the rules change slightly if you have your CHL.
So it does have some bearing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not a two-tier process for a non CCW permit holder. Only one of these conditions have to be met:

(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

A "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I understand what you mean now. For CCW permit holders, the rifle still must be transported just as a non-permit holder, but the loaded magazine(s) can be located anywhere except inserted into the firearm. For non-permit holders, the magazines must be located in the areas defined in the ORC section 2923.16 K(5)(b)(i) or (ii)
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Ok, I understand what you mean now. For CCW permit holders, the rifle still must be transported just as a non-permit holder, but the loaded magazine(s) can be located anywhere except inserted into the firearm. For non-permit holders, the magazines must be located in the areas defined in the ORC section 2923.16 K(5)(b)(i) or (ii)
View Quote

Yes, that is what I was trying to point out.
Just that there were minor differences if you held a CHL.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all who have replied.
I have a Handgun Carry Permit that is reciprocal with Ohio.
My case is the typical nylon type with a zip compartment for the rifle and external Velcro pockets that hold magazines.
So far I'm good.
The only potential hangup is the vehicle, which is an SUV and has no separate trunk. It is possible to access the rifle from inside the vehicle, although in reality it would be difficult because it will be under the rest of the families luggage.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My case is the typical nylon type with a zip compartment for the rifle and external Velcro pockets that hold magazines.
So far I'm good.
The only potential hangup is the vehicle, which is an SUV and has no separate trunk. It is possible to access the rifle from inside the vehicle, although in reality it would be difficult because it will be under the rest of the families luggage.
View Quote

Store ammo, mags and rifle in separate containers. That way it cannot be left up to interpretation. No loaded mag = no problem with how / where it's stored.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So far I'm good.
View Quote

I believe per the revised laws if you have a CHL you can store the rifle unloaded in the same passenger part of the vehicle with loaded rifle mags right next to the rifle as long as the mags are not actually in the rifle.

Many decades of evidence has shown that people who go through the trouble of obtaining a CCW permit are law abiding good citizens and the politicians are finally starting to recognize this and design new laws around it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Basically,  loaded mags have to be cased separately than the rifle.  If your rifle case has two zippered compartments, then its fine.  If your case has mag pouches that close with zipper/zelcro on the outside,  its fine.

View Quote

That's how I do it.....mags separate from the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So far I'm good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So far I'm good.

warkittens,

you're long gun is considered "unloaded" (i.e. legal for transport in vehicle), if:
(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

...and even if the long gun mags are loaded w/ ammo, the gun is considered "unloaded" as long as you:
(5)

(a) "Unloaded" means

, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question , and one of the following applies:

(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:48:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a CHL, I lay my AR across the back seat of my truck, chamber open and have 3 loaded mags right next to the rifle
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Edit:  nevermind.  Answered my own question.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So far I'm good.

View Quote

You're good. I carry my rifle in a Voodoo bag with loaded mags in the outside pouches built into the bag (secured with velcro) in the cab of my truck, or in the back seat of my car.

No worries, so long as the loaded mags are in a separate compartment from the long gun, which is secured with a buckle, velcro, zipper, etc. From my understanding, beyond that, it doesn't matter where the case/rifle/mags reside in your vehicle.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top