Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 10:19:49 PM EDT
I want to sell a rifle to a guy just over the border in W.VA and we'd like to meet in the Newcomerstown or Coshocton area to have an FFL facilitate the transfer face to face. Does anyone know of an FFL that would handle this for us? Woodbury doesn't appear to handle this.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't do it face to face. It needs to transfer via an FFL in the state he resides in.

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#2]
There is an FFL Just north of Newcomerstown in Boliver if you want to ship it from that area.  I can get you his contact info if you need it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is an FFL Just north of Newcomerstown in Boliver if you want to ship it from that area.  I can get you his contact info if you need it.
View Quote

I can get you a couple in Coshocton. but I think his FFL has to be in his own state.

BTW many ppl in Coshocton drive right past Woodbury to go to other gun stores...
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I can get you a couple in Coshocton. but I think his FFL has to be in his own state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A resident of any state may receive a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in any state, provided state laws do not otherwise prohibit such a transfer.

Things other than rifles and shotguns - like handguns or NFA items - require the FFL to be in the same state as the recipient.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A resident of any state may receive a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in any state, provided state laws do not otherwise prohibit such a transfer.

Things other than rifles and shotguns - like handguns or NFA items - require the FFL to be in the same state as the recipient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what I thought, because I couldnt buy a handgun from cabela's in WV with out it being shipped to a ffl here even tho I was standing in their store.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

BTW many ppl in Coshocton drive right past Woodbury to go to other gun stores...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why's that? I've only stopped in there once, never tried to buy from them

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Because they have tried to screw many of locals over. Biggest being they did was try to up charge 3 guys i know by a grand after they preordered the ksg shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thats what I thought, because I couldnt buy a handgun from cabela's in WV with out it being shipped to a ffl here even tho I was standing in their store.
View Quote

Yeah, if you were buying a rifle or shotgun, it would be no different than buying one at a store in Ohio. It's silly, but that's what it is.

Since the OP is selling a rifle, he'd be fine with having an FFL on this side of the border facilitate the transaction.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, buyer fell through, thanks anyways guys! haha
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I just clicked on the thread because I realized that after I was corrected with it being a rifle i forgot to give you the names of a couple good ffl's

Sorry about the deal going south.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Another great gun control law that will save the world.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top