Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats, neighbors. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree, send a message.  But I don't really think there is a question of whether he will sign this or not.  If the legislature thought he wasn't going to sign, they wouldn't have went through all these gyrations days before the end of the session.

I heard speed cameras are now going to be illegal in Ohio as well.  Another win for Liberty!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think we have a pretty good chance of Kasich signing this (it passed overwhelmingly from the legislature, and thus far he's signed every pro-gun bill put before him) but I think we should be taking a minute to let him know we want it signed!

I agree, send a message.  But I don't really think there is a question of whether he will sign this or not.  If the legislature thought he wasn't going to sign, they wouldn't have went through all these gyrations days before the end of the session.

I heard speed cameras are now going to be illegal in Ohio as well.  Another win for Liberty!

Not illegal, but an officer has to be present in order to issue a citation. So it essentially invalidates their use, no point in having a camera if an officer has to be present. Definately a win though!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Double tap
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]
All of the jerry mandering was a blessing and a curse for me.  I was moved out of Marcy Kaptur's district and into Jim Jordan's.  Unfortunately, I was moved out of Terry Boose's district (who was a sponsor of HB 234) and into Dan Ramos' district.  Ramos is a pure communist and has an NRA F rating.  

Here is the email I sent to him, kind of rub his nose in it.

I just wanted to let you know that HB 234, which you voted against, is on its way to the governor to become law.  

This bill will ease the burden on your constituents in the crime ridden areas of Lorain county to get concealed carried weapons permits.  It is clear that citizens need to rely on themselves for their own protection.  

Also, the numerous hunters across Lorain county will be able to hunt with sound suppressors on their firearms.  This will greatly reduce hearing loss and the hunters will be much less of a disturbance to the sounding area.  

I am disappointed you did not support this bill and encourage you to reconsider your stance in the future.  

Ironmaker
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a reply late last night from the Gov's office. Someone needs to be paying a bit more attention.

Dear :

Thank you for writing with regard to H.B. 234. Your letter has been forwarded to me for my review. We appreciate that you took the time to share your views about this important piece of legislation.

H.B. 234 is currently being debated during the 130th session of the Ohio General Assembly. Please be assured Governor Kasich will keep your views in mind if H.B. 234 is passed by the General Assembly and forwarded to the Governor forhis signature. I encourage you to share your concerns with your legislators, as your input will be important as they review this legislation.

Once again, thank you for writing to Governor Kasich. Please do not hesitate to contact the Governor's office if we may assist you in the future.

Sincerely,

Dave Ward

Director of Constituent Services

?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
E-mail sent in support.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
E-mail sent in support.
View Quote

Yep, I sent one too.  

We need to keep writing and calling until this thing is signed, sealed and delivered.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Email sent to the governor.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

9 - And the coup d'é·tat.... Sheriffs SHALL SIGN all NFA forms presented to them that require LEO certification if the person is legally allowed to possess the items under state and federal law.[/span]

There are other minor things.  But these are the biggies IMO
View Quote

They should have attached a Writ of Mandamus template to the bill for those who have Sheriffs who will ignore the law.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They should have attached a Writ of Mandamus template to the bill for those who have Sheriffs who will ignore the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 - And the coup d'é·tat.... Sheriffs SHALL SIGN all NFA forms presented to them that require LEO certification if the person is legally allowed to possess the items under state and federal law.[/span]

They will only ignore it until the first lawsuit which I predict will come within days of this going into affect.  They will be sued using ORC 9.68 and then their cities will be paying both sides legal fees and expenses for a suit they can not win.  

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68

The biggest downside to the "shall sign" I see is the sheriff can if he chooses, charge the same as for a CHL.  So if you don't have a CHL, $67.  If you already have your CHL, $50  You can give them 1 form or 10 at the same time for one charge.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey y'all it's about to be open season on those Beta mags in your AR's!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The biggest downside to the "shall sign" I see is the sheriff can if he chooses, charge the same as for a CHL.  So if you don't have a CHL, $67.  If you already have your CHL, $50  You can give them 1 form or 10 at the same time for one charge.
View Quote

Money that could be used for a trust instead, not to mention the time and financial costs of going down to see the sheriff.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Money that could be used for a trust instead, not to mention the time and financial costs of going down to see the sheriff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless 41P turns out to be as bad as some people think it will.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#14]
:) Thanks for posting it Wiley, BFA, the sponsors and grassroots support from you all made this great improvement happen.
I was pretty active in 13 but not so much in 14 with the legislation. It was dormant for a bit. We got us a good bill though finally :)
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thinking.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know when the gov will sign this or how long he has to sign it till its dead...
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone know when the gov will sign this or how long he has to sign it till its dead...
View Quote

As has been mentioned he has 10 days to sign or it becomes law. The only thing that would "kill" it is a veto and it passed both houses with a veto proof majority so that's unlikely. It likely hasn't hit his desk yet, at least the top of the pile anyway.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They will only ignore it until the first lawsuit which I predict will come within days of this going into affect.  They will be sued using ORC 9.68 and then their cities will be paying both sides legal fees and expenses for a suit they can not win.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucas County and Toledo come to mind. They don't even give a damn their jail is under Federal Supervision
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody know when it's planning on going to Kasich?

Status Report doesn't show any activity after concurrence.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anybody know when it's planning on going to Kasich?

Status Report doesn't show any activity after concurrence.
View Quote

Looking back through some other legislation at those reports it looks like it averages 6-7 days to get to his desk.  So it will probably be on his desk by Wed.  When he signs who knows.  He has 10 days.  My guess, he will sign within a week of receiving.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I sent an email also. Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#22]
...just an FYI for folks, ...I noticed Ohioans for Concealed Carry has put a news update on their site saying the Kasich has indicated he will sign the bill!!!!

http://ohioccw.org/201412165121/firearms-law-changes-headed-to-gov-kasich.html

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not going to notice the difference, honestly. I've owned two of them since like 2005 or 2006.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not going to notice the difference, honestly. I've owned two of them since like 2005 or 2006.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Surefire 60s have only seen use in my SBRs.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, now you can insert them into a weapon without magically transforming it into a machine gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well, now you can insert them into a weapon without magically transforming it into a machine gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they've been display pieces all this time.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, just like all my wall hanger Glock 18 mags.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Any updates on this yet? I would have figured we'd have a signature by now
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have any of you heard of anyone freaking out (gun grabbers) because of the capacity restriction being lifted?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Any updates on this yet? I would have figured we'd have a signature by now
View Quote

No  

The bills status page still just shows concurrence on 12/10  I was hoping we would at least see sent to governor and end of 10 day period lines filled in by today.  

http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.nsf/House+Bill+Number/0234?OpenDocument
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Paper weights"  that's what they are...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#36]
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.  Is your local police chief bound by this CLEO shall sign part? I don't own any NFA stuff yet but I do plan on it when I can afford it. I asked my sheriff in Wood county a few years ago and he said no. He directed me to my police chief and he said he would. Can I still use him, as frankly he's closer to my house.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm betting it's stalled due to the Christmas holiday. Might not see movement until after the first of the year. Hope not, but not holding my breath either. It can't come soon enough though. I think forward to all the four hour chunks of my life I have been given back, and weep for joy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.  Is your local police chief bound by this CLEO shall sign part? I don't own any NFA stuff yet but I do plan on it when I can afford it. I asked my sheriff in Wood county a few years ago and he said no. He directed me to my police chief and he said he would. Can I still use him, as frankly he's closer to my house.
View Quote

This will not affect who you get to sign.  Your county sheriff will be compelled to sign if you submit paperwork.  Obviously, you can still go to your police chief.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm betting it's stalled due to the Christmas holiday. Might not see movement until after the first of the year. Hope not, but not holding my breath either. It can't come soon enough though. I think forward to all the four hour chunks of my life I have been given back, and weep for joy.
View Quote

I don't think so.  I think it will be signed next week.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, that section applies only the sheriff of the county you reside in.

If your chief will sign and is more convenient for you then by all means use him.  If you get a new chief who won't sign ( like happened to me ) then you can go to the sheriff of the county you reside in and they will must process the NFA paperwork just as they do for an Ohio CHL.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so. The sooner the clock starts on the 90 days the better.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If your chief will sign and is more convenient for you then by all means use him.  If you get a new chief who won't sign ( like happened to me ) then you can go to the sheriff of the county you reside in and they will must process the NFA paperwork just as they do for an Ohio CHL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the case for me.  The Amherst police chief has signed 4 forms for me so far and I've never met him.  I drop them off at the police station with a note and get an email back from him in a day or two that they are ready to be picked up.  

I don't think the Lorain County Sheriff will sign them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better be. I'm doing some research tonight, but I'm hoping the all-license from any state reciprocity thing never got taken out. I keep hearing conflicting info about that and that's the part that applies to me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Better be. I'm doing some research tonight, but I'm hoping the all-license from any state reciprocity thing never got taken out. I keep hearing conflicting info about that and that's the part that applies to me.
View Quote

It is still in there and this probably will be signed this week then it take ~90 days to become law.

(3) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a 69
person who is not a resident of this state has a valid concealed 70
handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state, 71
regardless of whether the other license-issuing state has entered 72
into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under 73
division (A)(1) of this section, and the person is temporarily in 74
this state, during the time that the person is temporarily in this 75
state the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall 76
be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this 77
state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed 78
handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed 79
handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

JLE
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is the case for me.  The Amherst police chief has signed 4 forms for me so far and I've never met him.  I drop them off at the police station with a note and get an email back from him in a day or two that they are ready to be picked up.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is Stammitti still the Sheriff?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#46]
dont see anything in it that says that can charge for filling out forms....

edit:

311.43 CLEO signoff. Sheriff shall

accept any CLEO form and

process in same manner as

CHL. 311.42(C). Sheriff

can charge the CHL fee

once no matter how many

forms are submitted

by that, it would mean if you have a CHL, then u have paid it "once" so its free...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
dont see anything in it that says that can charge for filling out forms....  

edit:
311.43 CLEO signoff. Sheriff shall
accept any CLEO form and
process in same manner as
CHL. 311.42(C). Sheriff
can charge the CHL fee
once no matter how many
forms are submitted

by that, it would mean if you have a CHL, then u have paid it "once" so its free...
View Quote

My guess but I hope I am wrong, they will process it like a renewal, $50  They may also charge $0 which is what they should be doing.  I think the legislature thinking was, we are going to force you to do it and if you need to charge for it, you can.  The bad thing, some who were doing it for free now might take advantage and charge for it.

In any case, at least people now who were not able to get sign offs will technically be able to.  I'm sure there are some sheriffs who will have to be taken to court over it.  Once they start having to pay legal fees for ORC 9.68 cases they are loosing the rest will fall in line.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It is still in there and this probably will be signed this week then it take ~90 days to become law.

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']

JLE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']

JLE

Will this get us reciprocity with PA now?

Not automatically, I know, but I thought PA wouldn't reciprocate OH because OH wouldn't reciprocate PA (because of the training requirement).

I hope so.  My PA has expired and I just can't find a weekday free in my schedule to drive over there and re-new it.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Updated Status

Sent to Governor           12/18/14

End of 10 ay period           12/30/14

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Signed into law today!

HB234 Signed by Governor Kasich

WileyCoyote, update the thread title to Signed Into Law  
Page / 4
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top