Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 1:22:25 PM EDT
This past Monday night I attended Midwest Gun Club's Dynamic Handgun class in Canal Fulton, OH. The class was $50, 4 hours long, and the instructors were fantastic! The lead instructor has been a SWAT instructor for 20+ years and one of his assistant instructors is a Marine with combat experience in Afghanistan. The class started out with some simple warm ups to evaluate everyone's shooting level. The class pushed you to take your shooting to the next level. The instructors were very attentive to those who were not as experienced to help them keep pace and learn correctly.

Taking a class that includes people moving, turning, and shooting always causes me to use extra caution not knowing the shooting level of the guy/gal standing next to you. The instructors really enforced muzzle control and trigger safety, which is expected, but not always guaranteed. There were 4 drills that I felt helped me to advance my skill set and prepare myself for a defensive gun fight in the home or outside of it.

1. Moving toward your target while shooting, reloading if needed, and moving back away from your target while shooting. We were not allowed to stop during this drill for any reason, we had to keep moving.
2. Reacting to targets that are not directly in front of us and learning how to properly pivot our bodies. This was especially helpful for me.
3. Shooting accurately one handed from a close contact point
4. Low light shooting & how to use a flashlight without compromising your position

Some of this is very basic, but if you just practice this on your own without getting feedback on how to improve you can hinder yourself. This is a class I'll definitely be taking again with my wife and other family members. They are currently working on a Dynamic Handgun 2 class.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it was a good class.

But, I'm getting pretty tired of the buzzwords. "Dynamic" has been done. A lot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link to the site?
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top