Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2014 11:32:00 PM EDT
740am
60y

snuck up on him after i got board in my blind and went looking..

Cheap ass CVA wolf with 350gr hornady FPB & black horn powder 110gr at 1750fps. But shoots great

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.

That's one less beaneater fenderbender deer.

What time did you say the steak fry was?

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:21:54 AM EDT
[#2]
60y? Not 600?!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Very cool.  nice shooting Tex  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats!

Dat eyeball tho!

Where is it gun season at?  Or is BP not a "gun"?  Newb question, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats, my wife got her first last Thursday, with our Pilot
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats!

Dat eyeball tho!

View Quote

Early muzzle loader season started today in Ohio.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats! Hopefully, I will be able to say the same this year.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice job, have seen several does this weekend but none close enough for me to drop one. Will keep trying of course. Muzzleloader may bark,then back to bow hunting. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope to start a similar thread . . . someday.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you shoot it in the head?

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice job! Do you eat venison?

I can't wait to fill my freezer this season. I'm going to head to WV to use my AR, then the following week hit SE Ohio with the shotgun. Hoping to bring home four or more.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Congrats!

Dat eyeball tho!

View Quote
BP season for this wekend only

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

I can't wait to fill me freezer this season. I'm going to head to WV to use my AR, then the following week hit SE Ohio with the shotgun. Hoping to bring home four or more.

i did this 1 my self, what a pain in the ass... next 1 ill pay to get processed.. most will be stew meat and or jerky, not a fan of deer burgers or steaks

if i get 1 processed, ill make a bunch of summer sausage..  i still get 1 tag left, i may do some archery, if not i have deer gun week off from work..
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats OP!

This morning I had a doe walk up...I aligned the sights and slowly pull the trigger....snap...no bang.  The cap went off but it did not ignite the powder.  I had the omega inline in hand but put it away and grabbed the Hawken for this mornings hunt.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice, wish I was saying the same, but never had tome to shoot my "new to me" BP so couldn't very well go last weekend. I must say I'm jealous and  Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can't wait to fill me freezer this season. I'm going to head to WV to use my AR, then the following week hit SE Ohio with the shotgun. Hoping to bring home four or more.

View Quote

Vacation paper filled out,, be in WV hopefully Friday night before Thanksgiving, and start Monday morning with first day of rifle deer through Thanksgiving week in bottom of Monroe Co.  Ammo all loaded, sight in after I get there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#20]
You shot a button head?

That would get you perma banned from our hunting group, lol.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i did this 1 my self, what a pain in the ass... next 1 ill pay to get processed.. most will be stew meat and or jerky, not a fan of deer burgers or steaks    

if i get 1 processed, ill make a bunch of summer sausage..  i still get 1 tag left, i may do some archery, if not i have deer gun week off from work..

Yeah, I pay to have mine processed. The meat is usually so good, that you can't tell the burger from beef. However, I only harvest doe for meat. If I tag a buck, it's for a mount and I give the meat to the processor for jerky.

Venison tenderloin, if cooked right, is amazing. I've got it down to a science (cast iron, bacon grease, onions, garlic, etc.). At our house, if you're eating red meat, 9 times out of 10 it's venison, and no one has ever been the wiser if I didn't tell them it wasn't beef. I asked my processor what he puts in with the meat (pork fat, etc.), and he said nothing. That's all deer.

Good luck filling your next tag. I won't be heading out until late November.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Vacation paper filled out,, be in WV hopefully Friday night before Thanksgiving, and start Monday morning with first day of rifle deer through Thanksgiving week in bottom of Monroe Co.  Ammo all loaded, sight in after I get there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm hoping I can get permission on this one piece of land outside point pleasant. My FIL has permission, however he can't go with me. So, I'm hoping he can get it for me.

This will be my first year using an AR, and I can't wait. I'm planning on using those new Black Hills 77gr TMKs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Congrats OP!

This morning I had a doe walk up...I aligned the sights and slowly pull the trigger....snap...no bang.  The cap went off but it did not ignite the powder.  I had the omega inline in hand but put it away and grabbed the Hawken for this mornings hunt.
View Quote

Do you "Poof" the barrel before you load it up for the first shot of the year?

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#26]
disregard
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How do you tell button buck apart from does?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You shot a button head?

WV,  they doe till buttons visible, 2 or 3" I think.... shot many a "doe-nutz" and tagged doe.

Antlered,, or anterless
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Not to rain on your parade but the last time I was in WV, deer rifles were .25 cal minimum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm hoping I can get permission on this one piece of land outside point pleasant. My FIL has permission, however he can't go with me. So, I'm hoping he can get it for me.
This will be my first year using an AR, and I can't wait. I'm planning on using those new Black Hills 77gr TMKs.

Not to rain on your parade but the last time I was in WV, deer rifles were .25 cal minimum.

Interesting, I thought I read different. Well, if that's the case it looks like I'll be taking a .25-45 Sharps instead :)

ETA: I found this, however it pertains to rimfire:

"It is illegal to hunt deer with:

a shotgun using ammunition loaded with more than one solid ball, or a rifle using rimfire ammunition of less than .25 caliber."

I read on another forum that all centerfire was allowed.

ETA2: Yeah, I'm good to go with .223.

"Legal firearms for hunting deer during the buck firearms season shall include:

a rifle using centerfire ammunition.

a rifle using .25 caliber or larger rimfire ammunition.

a muzzleloading rifle, with or without scope, and muzzleloading pistol of .38 caliber or larger.

a handgun using a straight-walled case of .357 magnum cartridge or larger or a bottle-necked case of .24 caliber or larger (see page 5). A Class A-1 handgun stamp is required.

a shotgun loaded with solid ball ammunition."

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You shot a button head?

Size, shape, and buttons on their head. It's really not that hard to do once you've seen some deer. You can see the buttons on that deer's head real easy tufting up the fur.

Shooting button heads is definitely frowned upon anywhere that tries to grow some bone. If all you care about is meat though, they are good eating. If you want to see good bucks though, you have to leave the resident button heads live though....those are the ones far more likely to take up residence in the general area they were born. Everyone hunts for their own personal reasons though, so shoot whatever you are happy with. The guys at the areas I hunt don't share that mentality though, unless the hunter is a younger kid. Even my 11yo son is relegated to 125" or bigger bucks only. That's the way it needs to be though if you want a chance at a monster one day.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

WV,  they doe till buttons visible, 2 or 3" I think.... shot many a "doe-nutz" and tagged doe.

Antlered,, or anterless
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You shot a button head?

Antlered,, or anterless

That's the way it is almost everywhere, but it's poor deer management to whack the buttons....whether it's tagged as a doe/antlerless or not. Let em go if ya want them to grow. Maybe someone else would shoot it anyways, maybe not....but you shooting it guarantees it's not gonna make it to become something special one day. My WV buddies were the "brown and down" types for years. For about the last 5 or 6 years though, I convinced them to be much more selective, and as a result we've seen much better deer the last couple years. But, like I said, if whacking buttons makes ya happy, go for it. We've just shot enough deer that shooting the little ones doesn't do much for us anymore.......and to get big deer.....you can't shoot the little ones.

As for the .223 in WV, that's just fine. You can also use suppressors there to hunt with.  I used a .223 for the first few years and killed them just fine, but had a few run down hills that weren't so fun to drag them back up over. In WV, it don't take far before the deer can make the recovery a real PIA, so I moved up to a 7-08 so I could break the shoulders and plant them.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top