BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2014 9:45:14 PM EDT

Rifles approved for Ohio deer hunting during gun season: Outdoor Notes
http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2014/04/rifles_approved_for_ohio_deer.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Rifles firing straight-walled cartridges were approved by theOhio Wildlife Council for use in this year's Ohio deer gun season. The council also approved deer bag limit reductions in 44 of 88 counties and removed bobcats from the Ohio threatened species list.

The 27 different calibers of cartridges have been allowed for handgun hunting during the weeklong deer gun season. Muzzleloading rifles and shotguns firing rifled slugs are also legal in the Buckeye deer woods during the gun season.

The Ohio Division of Wildlife proposal was driven by the Buckeye Firearms Association, which wanted to provide additional gun-hunting opportunities for sportsmen. BFA officials had pointed out the rifles firing straight-walled cartridges have less recoil, are lighter in weight for both youth and older hunters and are more accurate than pistols firing the same cartridges.

Indiana allowed rifles firing pistol cartridges several years ago, without incident. It is expected the new rule will increase sales of the newly-approved rifles and straight-walled ammunition in Ohio.

The deer hunting seasons for 2014-2015 are:
Deer Archery - Sept. 27-Feb. 1
Antlerless Deer Muzzleloader - Oct. 11-12
Youth Deer Gun - Nov. 22-23
Deer Gun - Dec. 1-7
Statewide Deer Muzzloader - Jan. 2-5

The annual bag limits have been changed from zones to county-by-county bag limits. Bag limits were reduced in 44 counties, increased in five counties and remained the same in 39 counties. See the state deer map at cleveland.com/outdoors.

The most liberal zones allowing four deer to be killed each season are in Northeast Ohio (Lake, Cuyahoga, Summit, Portage, Stark and Mahoning counties), Southwest Ohio (Montgomery, Warren, Hamilton, Clermont and Brown counties) and Delaware and Franklin counties in Central Ohio. Only one antlered deer can legally be killed each season.

The upcoming small game seasons are:
Squirrel - Sept. 1-Jan. 31
Ruffed Grouse - Oct. 11-Jan. 31
Youth Small Game - Oct. 25-26 and Nov. 1-2
Cottontail Rabbit - Nov. 7-Feb. 28
Ring-necked Pheasant - Nov. 7-Jan. 4
Bobwhite Quail - Nov. 7-Nov. 30
Wild Turkey - Oct. 13-Nov. 30

The furbearer hunting and trapping seasons for fox, raccoon, skunk, opossum and weasel are Nov. 10-Jan. 13. Beaver and river otter trapping is allowed from Dec. 26-Feb. 28.

The early Canada goose, mourning dove, rail, moorhen, snipe, woodcock and waterfowl seasons are set in August. The 2015 spring turkey season is April 20-May 17, with the youth season April 18-19.

There is no closed season for coyote hunting. Woodchuck hunting is only closed during the deer gun season.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The bobcat thing is sort of a big deal. I'm surprised it didn't get more attention.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Found a list of the calibers:

Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.    
View Quote

No .40 s&w  and I can't find a listed limitation on round count.  Anyone know?   I happen to have a tommy gun .
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No .40 s&w  and I can't find a listed limitation on round count.  Anyone know?   I happen to have a tommy gun .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.    

no more then 3 in the gun... no "plug" required...
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Would guess it requires a 1" minimum case length.... might be wrong, but that rings a bell as to the approved pistol calibers.

And this allows my .45-70's to get some use in this state.  Nice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I looking to see if a .45 acp upper is fesable right now to toss on the lower from my current AR
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet.

Guess I need to save for a 77/44
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know of a 460 S&W carbine?

I have the handgun, I'd love a carbine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
T/C Contender.  Maybe NEF makes a Handy Rifle?  I know they make a 500 Mag.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I am confused about one thing. What's their logic in allowing dummy rounds in rifles, but shotguns need to be plugged?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#11]
No plugs or dummy rounds have to be used.  You can only have 3 rounds in the firearm.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Gives me an excuse to buy a new gun! I'm thinking a Henry.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Henry is a top company to support, they helped us a lot getting this done.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:40:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm happy about this change!  I wish they would update the allowable cartridges.  But it will be a nice change of pace using a lever gun and an opportunity for people like my brother in law who can't take a shotgun recoil.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I'll look for an older Marlin .30-30 and have a .38-55 rebore done on it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Currently I'm looking at either a henry 45-70, henry 357/44/45, and the ruger 77/44

I don't have any experience with handgun calibers for deer as up until now I always hunt PA with 30-30. Of all the cartridges listed, my brief research is telling me 44 mag would probably be the best?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#19]
From that list, 444 marlin or 45-70 would be my choice. That being said, I too hope that list is just examples and not the only ones approved. There are several other straight wall cartridges I would prefer over those
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow, the list runs from too small to massive over kill.  Most of those are good rounds for the purpose though.

Does this mean I can take my trap door Springfield (45-70) out and use for deer or does it have to be a lever action?  It would be worth it to  make a point to tell the DNR guys it is plugged to 3 rounds and watch them spend 2 hours trying to figure it out.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:52:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I hope that is an example and not the only calibers approved.  My 10mm was always good to have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope that is an example and not the only calibers approved.  My 10mm was always good to have.

10mm would be great.  

I'm going to look into a henry .357 for my wife.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:33:49 AM EDT
[#22]

My 50 Wulf is straight walled....can I use that?

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow, the list runs from too small to massive over kill.  Most of those are good rounds for the purpose though.

Does this mean I can take my trap door Springfield (45-70) out and use for deer or does it have to be a lever action?  It would be worth it to  make a point to tell the DNR guys it is plugged to 3 rounds and watch them spend 2 hours trying to figure it out.

View Quote

As it is written, it's my understanding that any rifle in the approved calibers is acceptable, single shot, semi-auto, lever action, bolt action, its all good. It's just that the calibers listed point more toward the lever action community.

On that note, I was at the Canton Fin over the weekend, and they were all sold out of lever action in pistol calibers. They had one really Henry hex barrel in 44mag at the tag of 800 bucks. It was nice, but too nice to trudge through the woods or double as a truck gun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As it is written, it's my understanding that any rifle in the approved calibers is acceptable, single shot, semi-auto, lever action, bolt action, its all good. It's just that the calibers listed point more toward the lever action community.

On that note, I was at the Canton Fin over the weekend, and they were all sold out of lever action in pistol calibers. They had one really Henry hex barrel in 44mag at the tag of 800 bucks. It was nice, but too nice to trudge through the woods or double as a truck gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in George's Bait and Tackle in Lorain buying my 2014 licenses and they have a Ruger bolt gun in 357 mag (SS with synthetic stock).  That rifle will be in high demand too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been hunting in Indiana with a 44 magnum lever action Marlin since 2005 or 2006 (I forget when they changed the law there).  

I sight mine in about 1.5" high at 100 yards and can hold dead on out to 150.  While this may not be a significant advantage over modern sabot shotgun ammo, the reduced weight and better trigger (read: not shotgun trigger) make it so much more enjoyable.

I use Winchester White Box (JSP) 44 magnums (240gr?) and have killed 8 or 9 deer from 35 to 125 yards.  None of them ran more than 40 or 50 yards before falling over.  I'd say about half of them fell over on the spot.

Would I want to use this rifle/ammo combination on elk or black bear? NO.  For mid western whitetails it works for me.

I have a 444 marlin which I can't use in Indiana.  Looks like I need to find a place in Ohio to try it out :)
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have been hunting in Indiana with a 44 magnum lever action Marlin since 2005 or 2006 (I forget when they changed the law there).  

I sight mine in about 1.5" high at 100 yards and can hold dead on out to 150.  While this may not be a significant advantage over modern sabot shotgun ammo, the reduced weight and better trigger (read: not shotgun trigger) make it so much more enjoyable.

I use Winchester White Box (JSP) 44 magnums (240gr?) and have killed 8 or 9 deer from 35 to 125 yards.  None of them ran more than 40 or 50 yards before falling over.  I'd say about half of them fell over on the spot.

Would I want to use this rifle/ammo combination on elk or black bear? NO.  For mid western whitetails it works for me.

I have a 444 marlin which I can't use in Indiana.  Looks like I need to find a place in Ohio to try it out :)
View Quote

I heard a rumor that a lot of people went back to shotgun in IN after they hunted a few times with their PCR.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Is there an answer on whether or not the list is all we get? Seems kinda silly to allow .45acp and not 10mm.

One argument for PCR was the fact that a pistol firing the same caliber with a 15" barrel was okay. Throw a stock and 1" of barrel on the same gun and its a no go which is nonsense. The same argument can be made for other straight walled cartridges not being allowed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is there an answer on whether or not the list is all we get? Seems kinda silly to allow .45acp and not 10mm.

One argument for PCR was the fact that a pistol firing the same caliber with a 15" barrel was okay. Throw a stock and 1" of barrel on the same gun and its a no go which is nonsense. The same argument can be made for other straight walled cartridges not being allowed.
View Quote

Common sense reasons it should be any straight walled cartridge.

The OHDNR has probably never heard of 50 Beowulf.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Man, .45 ACP in a carbine is weak, unless it is really loaded up.  That's a crappy idea.

Note:  This is not an official rule change, until it is passed and signed into law.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:59:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Common sense reasons it should be any straight walled centerfire cartridge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bottle-necked rifle prohibition is a joke. Especially when you consider that you can use them for other animals besides deer.

ETA: Speaking of dumb weapon restrictions

Longbow: included compound and recurve bows. While hunting, it is unlawful to have attached to a longbow any mechanical, electrical, or electronic device capable of projecting a beam of light.

Crossbow: Poisoned or explosive arrows are unlawful. While hunting, it is unlawful to have attached to a crossbow any mechanical, electrical, or electronic device capable of projecting a beam of light.

Does that mean I can't have a illuminated sight on my crossbow? Did the people who wrote these regulations watch Rambo too many times?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Man, .45 ACP in a carbine is weak, unless it is really loaded up.  That's a crappy idea.

Note:  This is not an official rule change, until it is passed and signed into law.
View Quote

I don't think that's the case. I'm pretty sure this is just an annual reg change.

Suppressors for hunting has to be passed and signed into law because Ohio defines them as dangerous ordinance.

Ive been wrong before, but I think this is official.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#32]
1) For this initial year, 'the list' is what we get.  Subject to change in the future.

2) The DNR has voted to approve these changes so they will in place this fall.  Legislature doesn't need to do anything.  (Suppressors currently is in legislature, but could be done same way by DNR - and may still happen this way)

3) Rifles and shotguns will have 3 cartridge total limit (magazine + chamber can not exceed 3).  Plugging is not required, but total cartridge count is 3.

4) Pistols still have the 'and other cartridges the ODNR deems meet requirements' and there is no cartridge limit for pistols.

JLE
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am confused about one thing. What's their logic in allowing dummy rounds in rifles, but shotguns need to be plugged?
View Quote

no dummies needed, and looks the same for SG plugs now, just dont have more then 3 in the gun...

but this as written is WAY goofy... in 1 paragraph it says "only these specific calibers are ok, in the next, it says "The council also approved straight-walled cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns."

that would mean its non-specific..

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The bottle-necked rifle prohibition is a joke. Especially when you consider that you can use them for other animals besides deer.

Does that mean I can't have a illuminated sight on my crossbow? Did the people who wrote these regulations watch Rambo too many times?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Longbow: included compound and recurve bows. While hunting, it is unlawful to have attached to a longbow any mechanical, electrical, or electronic device capable of projecting a beam of light.

Crossbow: Poisoned or explosive arrows are unlawful. While hunting, it is unlawful to have attached to a crossbow any mechanical, electrical, or electronic device capable of projecting a beam of light.

no, u can have a red dot or light up scope... that says no "lasers"... or flashlights...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
no, u can have a red dot or light up scope... that says no "lasers"... or flashlights...
View Quote

True that you or I would agree on that, but I don't like the wording, it could be twisted to cover illuminated sights since it is "projecting a beam of light" on to the glass. Would have been easier to just say no lights or lasers. Of course I just realized that they only included the explosive or poisoned arrow thing in regards to a crossbow, so I guess it's perfectly OK to go Rambo with a bow.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I heard a rumor that a lot of people went back to shotgun in IN after they hunted a few times with their PCR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't met anyone who has switched back to a shotgun.

I have a Mossberg model 500 with the cantilever scope mount.  When I stopped using it I was shooting hornady sabots that were $3 a shot.  Since it was so expensive, I hardly ever practiced with the thing.  It was accurate enough, but it was heavy, the trigger is lousy, and recoiled like a 300 win mag.  I can get the winchester white box JSP 44 magnums for around $35 a box of 50.  I shoot it at least 50 times during the year before hunting season with my Marlin.  It's just fun to shoot and hunt with.  I would let an average 10 year old shoot it.

If I were starting from scratch in Ohio and buying a gun, I'd look at 45/70.  I think you can get ammo with 300 gr bullets that wouldn't tear a whitetail up too much.  I have never shot one so I don't know about the recoil.  I do know the heavier loads for it pack quite a punch.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I just moved up from Florida and the guys at a local gun shop said .30-30 would be allowed. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be true. It is a great round for deer and is only accurate out to about 75 yards. Why in the world wouldn't they allow it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just moved up from Florida and the guys at a local gun shop said .30-30 would be allowed. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be true. It is a great round for deer and is only accurate out to about 75 yards. Why in the world wouldn't they allow it?
View Quote

Where did you get 75 yard accuracy from? Certainly good beyond that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#39]
No 30-30 as its a bottlenecked cartridge. Only straight walled pistol/rifle rounds as listed.

30-30 depending on the shooter and load can reach out to 175 yards.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I would shoot this bullet if I starting hunting with a rifle.

44 Magnum
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#41]
That load is fairly lightly constructed for the velocity of a carbine barrel and the chance of hitting bone, chances are it may work
but the load is designed for self defense, not hunting. It'd prob frag or seperate and and act like a fmj.
A heavier loads from Buffalo bore or double tap using a soft point of hard cast projectile would be a safer bet.

Quoted:

44 Magnum
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That load is fairly lightly constructed for the velocity of a carbine barrel and the chance of hitting bone, chances are it may work
but the load is designed for self defense, not hunting. It'd prob frag or seperate and and act like a fmj.
A heavier loads from Buffalo bore or double tap using a soft point of hard cast projectile would be a safer bet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

44 Magnum

got any favorites?  I need to start loading.  Last time I used a 240gn xtp out of S&W629
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Holy crap, animals up to 1000 lbs. Most gun season deer are 150 lbs or so.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#45]
The Speer .44 magnum Gold Dot designed for high weight retention, 99% in the Speer graphic. The bullet is also designed for maximum expansion. I would use it within 50 yards without hesitation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes 44 magnum, I have a marlin 1894 in 44 magnum that is ready. It is light ,accurate,quick handling. I think it will work out real we'll in the deer woods. I also reload for the 44 mag. Lots of bullets and reloading supplies. Plus I have hunted coyotes and rabbits and even squirrels with it. Light loads on the squirrels. I am all for it here in Ohio. Maybe even in years to come maybe even bottle neck cartridges. I hope.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:22:49 AM EDT
[#47]
up to. They make some lighter loads, but the main thing is bullet construction, i just posted that one as an example, vs a lighter hollow point not intended for hunting.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:32:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't think that's the case. I'm pretty sure this is just an annual reg change.

Suppressors for hunting has to be passed and signed into law because Ohio defines them as dangerous ordinance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right and you're wrong.

The pistol-caliber rifles is a done deal. Once the Ohio Wildlife Council votes on it and approves it, it becomes policy. There does not need to be a bill in the house or senate, so you are correct on this one.

However, you are mistaken on the suppressor issue. The Ohio Wildlife Council can also permit the usage of legally owned suppressors for hunting simply by adding it to the list of approved equipment. However, this particular rule change was introduced as a bill without the input from the OWC and as a change to Ohio law because two Ohio representatives didn't want to wait for the OWC to get around to it. When the bill was introduced, it actually irritated the OWC because it took something they control for the sake of state preemption. The OWC was told they could still vote on it if they wanted to, and they responded they won't because it's a legislature issue now. If the legislature drops the suppressor bill or it fails, then they'll consider it, but not at the same time it exists as a bill.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#49]

So, should I pick up a lever gun in .45 colt that I already have in my fort, or should I look to adding some .44mag to the fort?        

And, if you suggest adding the .44mag...what about the +P?

Which would be best/prefered for whitetail?

I'm going to get a lever gun no matter what. I just need to narrow it down to which one.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So, should I pick up a lever gun in .45 colt that I already have in my fort, or should I look to adding some .44mag to the fort?          

And, if you suggest adding the .44mag...what about the +P?

Which would be best/prefered for whitetail?

I'm going to get a lever gun no matter what. I just need to narrow it down to which one.

View Quote

If you hand load you can get 45LC to 44mag levels.  You just have to be careful you don't put one of those rounds in an old gun that cant handle the pressure.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top