Page Hometown » Ohio
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2014 8:59:10 AM EDT
Event info can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/neocarry
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Just curious as to what the purpose is of this event?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just curious as to what the purpose is of this event?
View Quote

What I gather, an exercise of 1A/2A rights voicing the beliefs of the pro-gun community. We will continue to lose our conservative rights if we continue to act conservatively. Liberals will continue to publicly voice their opposition.

From the event description:

About
We will be having an open carry walk in Akron, OH on March 29th at noon. We will be meeting in the parking deck on the corner of east market and high st. Plenty of parking its also free on the weekends, and it should be a ton of exposure. Make sure to bring signs. Long guns and hand guns are both welcome, T-shirts will be available at the event.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much participation here I take it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be camping that weekend.

However, there is a counter-protest at the Summit County gunshow this weekend if anyone wants to hit that up.  I will be there fo sho.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:05:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

However, there is a counter-protest at the Summit County gunshow this weekend if anyone wants to hit that up.  I will be there fo sho.
View Quote

I'll counter protest them as I pull in and out of the show.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:16:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry if some don't like hearing it, but I find it pathetic that a thread about Gunny being at Vance's or some 40 something slut blowing a 12 year old gets massive attention, but yet a thread about assembly of 2A activism barely gets a response.

They're your rights. Don't bitch and whine when you continue to lose them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:42:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Could be that there is no information provided, so there can't be much discussion. Many people don't use Facebook.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Could be that there is no information provided, so there can't be much discussion. Many people don't use Facebook.
View Quote

Fair enough. Here is the information from the event page:

Akron Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Date: Saturday, March 29, 2014
Time: 12:00pm - 2:30pm

Details: We will be having an open carry walk in Akron, OH on March 29th at noon. We will be meeting in the parking deck on the corner of east market and high st. Plenty of parking its also free on the weekends, and it should be a ton of exposure. Make sure to bring signs. Long guns and hand guns are both welcome, T-shirts will be available at the event.

Disclaimer: While we would love to see as many people carrying as possible, please take it upon yourself to make sure that you are obeying all laws (local, state, and federal) and procedures, that you can legally be in possession of a firearm and are not under any disability or otherwise barred from owning or possessing a firearm, and that any interactions with law enforcement or the public are respectful and courteous.
Ohio Carry does not condone violence, disrespect, or anything that could be misconstrued as disorderly conduct. You are coming to this event as an individual and Ohio Carry is not responsible and cannot be held accountable for any action you commit, or any action taken against you legally or civilly. While we encourage you to flex your rights, please use your own best discretion as to what to do and not to do.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol. Ya, that seemed to help.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were around 60 of us and 7 anti's.  Were you amongst us?  Or would this particular show of support take too much of your time?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There were around 60 of us and 7 anti's.  Were you amongst us?  Or would this particular show of support take too much of your time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what? Actually, I was at the gun show, arriving before you guys and leaving after you guys. I've taken the time to spread the word of the Akron walk on here and I plan to attend.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#12]
We show up before the anti's and leave when theyre all gone.  I dont even know why they bother.  People driving into the gun show are obviously pretty well pro-gun already.  I doubt their signs are going to convert anyone.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We show up before the anti's and leave when theyre all gone.  I dont even know why they bother.  People driving into the gun show are obviously pretty well pro-gun already.  I doubt their signs are going to convert anyone.
View Quote

So why'd you ask me if showing support was too much of my time?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Beta Rho?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#15]
You were there, could have stopped and shown your support for 2A by counter protesting the antis.  But apparently it wasnt worthy of your time.  

So you really cant be pissed that people wont go to this open carry walk if you couldnt even take 15 minutes to do this one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#16]
... Or maybe pro-gun don't care about the open carry walk. Personally I'm neither for or against open carry, but really what do you hope to accomplish?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:46:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
... Or maybe pro-gun don't care about the open carry walk. Personally I'm neither for or against open carry, but really what do you hope to accomplish?
View Quote

I don't get the whole open carry thing either.  

I did see a fellow in Home Depot the other day open carrying.  He had a Makarov (maybe) in an Uncle Mikes type holster.  No one paid him any mind at all.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You were there, could have stopped and shown your support for 2A by counter protesting the antis.  But apparently it wasnt worthy of your time.  

So you really cant be pissed that people wont go to this open carry walk if you couldnt even take 15 minutes to do this one.
View Quote

What part of the fact that I got to the show at 9am and left at 12:30pm didn't you get? When I left, you guys weren't there. When I left, you guys weren't there. Had you been when I was leaving, I most definitely would have stopped.

But ya, you're right. I'm not showing support at all. Certainly not by creating this thread. (sarcasm)
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would think it would be a show of assembly in support of the 2A. What do the anti-2A protesters accomplish at a gun show? The fact they are there, even in low numbers, shows they are willing to fight for what they believe.

Here's the issue: Conservatives are conservative. By nature, we are not ones to protest, cause a commotion, or draw attention to ourselves.

The problem: The other side is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Beta Rho?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#21]
normaly, we do OC events in towns that mess with OC'ers... im not aware of anything new in akron happening...
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
normaly, we do OC events in towns that mess with OC'ers... im not aware of anything new in akron happening...
View Quote

Other than the gross majority of the political environment of the county being liberal, democrats and having anti-2A mayors and council who are against stand your ground laws as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I dont facebook or participate in any website whos owner refers to his customers as morons.

Many here open carried in protest before you could conceal carry. Now we can and have elected a governor who stood by his pro gun constituants and signed pro carry legislation shortly after sandy hook.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, sorta seems like being a sore winner. Hey we won, lets protest because some time in the future, someone may do something we don't like, even though everything is going our way at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont facebook or participate in any website whos owner refers to his customers as morons.

Many here open carried in protest before you could conceal carry. Now we can and have elected a governor who stood by his pro gun constituants and signed pro carry legislation shortly after sandy hook.

Yeah, sorta seems like being a sore winner. Hey we won, lets protest because some time in the future, someone may do something we don't like, even though everything is going our way at the moment.

What are you talking about? For one, Akron city council and Akron's mayor are against Stand Your Ground legislation.

I guess I don't see the issue in public assembly showing support for our 2A rights.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#26]
The more people that OC, the more acceptable being Pro 2A will become.  Perhaps the less looks you'll get when somebody first learns that you "actually carry a gun"

Allowing CCW is like telling your kid he can swear all he wants, as long as NOBODY every hears him.  Because when the time comes that he has reason to do it, you're still going to be appalled, punish him for it and tell his brothers and sisters why it's not ok.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#27]
So anyone who is planning to go, please take a few cans or a bag of food stuff with you to donate for the Garretsville Food Bank.  Their storage area was destroyed in last weeks fire and Ohio Carry is having a food drive to help rebuild their supplies.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Iam guessing Akron demographics arent likely to ever be over the top in love with a bunch of dudes who love their guns just like any big city in the country. Maybe a demonstration will get people talking about it more but its easy to turn that scenario into a story of gun nuts who wont settle until guns are everywhere and in everyones hands. Just like many of us wouldnt want eccentric gay men in assless chaps dancing around public streets in celebration of gay rights.

I can appreciate the goal but question its methodolgy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
These events in the past have really been a non-issue with the localities, including ultra-liberal Oberlin.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Iam guessing Akron demographics arent likely to ever be over the top in love with a bunch of dudes who love their guns just like any big city in the country. Maybe a demonstration will get people talking about it more but its easy to turn that scenario into a story of gun nuts who wont settle until guns are everywhere and in everyones hands. Just like many of us wouldnt want eccentric gay men in assless chaps dancing around public streets in celebration of gay rights.

View Quote

A silent voice is no voice at all. The conservative approach has failed our rights. We must be willing to demonstrate and protest, forcing our rights back into society where they belong. The liberal society and media have stripped many of them away because we sit back and don't fight enough to keep them. Again, like I've said, the problem is that conservatives are conservative. It's time to be wolves amongst the wolves.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A silent voice is no voice at all. The conservative approach has failed our rights. We must be willing to demonstrate and protest, forcing our rights back into society where they belong. The liberal society and media have stripped many of them away because we sit back and don't fight enough to keep them. Again, like I've said, the problem is that conservatives are conservative. It's time to be wolves amongst the wolves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In ohio we've made big gains. Try buying an Ar15 in your local walmart, dicks or even bass pro 10 years ago. I went to bass pro a decade or so ago to see their pistols and all they had were revolvers. Now they cater to people who buy firearms for self defense.

We cant be complacent but the sky is not falling. Extreme reactionary thought in a time of good gains gives ammo to progressives and others with agendas.

They would be smart to send someone into the gun community and rally irrational people to make their points that we are a bunch of nuts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In ohio we've made big gains. Try buying an Ar15 in your local walmart, dicks or even bass pro 10 years ago. I went to bass pro a decade or so ago to see their pistols and all they had were revolvers. Now they cater to people who buy firearms for self defense.

We cant be complacent but the sky is not falling. Extreme reactionary thought in a time of good gains gives ammo to progressives and others with agendas.

They would be smart to send someone into the gun community and rally irrational people to make their points that we are a bunch of nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's just business capturing a market that's growing and very profitable. They wouldn't sell it if it didn't make money.
An open carry walk is hardly extreme reactionary behavior.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you demonstrating and protesting against? What rights are you trying to force back into society? Open carry protests have their place but this doesn't seem to be one of them...it looks like "a bunch of crazy gun people" trying to come up with an excuse to walk around with their guns.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who/what company did that?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

facebook ceo

http://gawker.com/5636765/facebook-ceo-admits-to-calling-users-dumb-fucks
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

facebook ceo

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

facebook ceo

Except Zuckerberg is right. Facebook has millions of users, most of them young & dumb (and many more not young but just as dumb). And yes, they are also morons who expect privacy on a service that makes its money sharing your information with users and advertisers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What are you demonstrating and protesting against? What rights are you trying to force back into society? Open carry protests have their place but this doesn't seem to be one of them...it looks like "a bunch of crazy gun people" trying to come up with an excuse to walk around with their guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. Our 2A rights haven't been infringed upon. We should all just stay home and not exercise our right to free speech and assembly.

I can't believe people who claim to be pro 2A, but are on the fence with some aspects of it.

I need an excuse to open carry? It's my f-ing right to do so. I don't need any excuse to exercise my God given rights. Gun owners need an excuse to assemble and show unity? I certainly think there's enough shit going down in society. Don't you?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#38]
No one here is happy about what has happened in the last 4 years politically but there are states that haved pushed back ohio included. When you go out and open carry in a state that has made good progress and a reporter asks you what youre there for you better have a better answer than the one you just gave because that soundbite will be used on the daily show, the views, letterman, the bill mahr show and provide skit material for saturday night live.

Know your shit and gather your thoughts before you go out and represent the gun community.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You're right. Our 2A rights haven't been infringed upon. We should all just stay home and not exercise our right to free speech and assembly.

You didn't answer my question.

I can't believe people who claim to be pro 2A, but are on the fence with some aspects of it.

What are you talking about?

I need an excuse to open carry? It's my f-ing right to do so. I don't need any excuse to exercise my God given rights. Gun owners need an excuse to assemble and show unity? I certainly think there's enough shit going down in society. Don't you?

Of course it's your right to do so, and no one here has claimed anything contrary to that. I said what I'm guessing it looks like to many non-gun people. Although, the more you write on this forum, the more it looks like you want to walk around with your gun just to be provocative. That's not kind of attitude that helps a movement, like JohnnyMcEldoo opined earlier

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't answer my question.

What are you talking about?

Of course it's your right to do so, and no one here has claimed anything contrary to that. I said what I'm guessing it looks like to many non-gun people. Although, the more you write on this forum, the more it looks like you want to walk around with your gun just to be provocative. That's not kind of attitude that helps a movement, like JohnnyMcEldoo opined earlier

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No one here is happy about what has happened in the last 4 years politically but there are states that haved pushed back ohio included. When you go out and open carry in a state that has made good progress and a reporter asks you what youre there for you better have a better answer than the one you just gave because that soundbite will be used on the daily show, the views, letterman, the bill mahr show and provide skit material for saturday night live.

Know your shit and gather your thoughts before you go out and represent the gun community.
View Quote

Right. That's my reply to a reporter (sarcasm). Good grief people.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Really surprised by the opinions here. Nowhere did I promote open carrying all the time. This is just an organized event that seemed worth attending. I have never open carried myself and I understand the feelings it can cause.

However, this is simply an event to show activism and assembly. I guess I got nothin. I'll just stay home and clean my guns. I don't want to offend a liberal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#44]
As soon as you mention Open Carry, all the "pro-gun" people go crazy...  
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

These events in the past have really been a non-issue with the localities, including ultra-liberal Oberlin.

View Quote
Oberlin had a shit fit.  One city council member actually asked, in public session "if we repeal these (anti gun) ordinances will you gun people leave our town?"

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#46]
I never consider the local bureaucracy as people.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't oppose open carry and on a rare occasion, I will .  I don't go out of my way to do so though, generally it's when I over dressed for a cool morning then it warms up quickly.  Most of the time nobody notices, once someone asked if I was a cop.  I said no and that was it, other than the fact she kept looking at me.  What it does do is emphasize how unaware many people are of their surroundings.

With all of the pro-gun and fine tuning of carry laws in our state, I really don't see the point of an open carry "event" at the moment.  Just look how many pro-gun bills have become law since Sandy Hook.  Not that that couldn't change next week.

I think many here on this might feel the same.
View Quote

+1.

If you go, don't expect to see a lot of bystanders... I mean other than the bums hang outside the Library and the girl in pajama pants begging for money
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:20:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

+1.

If you go, don't expect to see a lot of bystanders... I mean other than the bums hang outside the Library and the girl in pajama pants begging for money
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't oppose open carry and on a rare occasion, I will .  I don't go out of my way to do so though, generally it's when I over dressed for a cool morning then it warms up quickly.  Most of the time nobody notices, once someone asked if I was a cop.  I said no and that was it, other than the fact she kept looking at me.  What it does do is emphasize how unaware many people are of their surroundings.

With all of the pro-gun and fine tuning of carry laws in our state, I really don't see the point of an open carry "event" at the moment.  Just look how many pro-gun bills have become law since Sandy Hook.  Not that that couldn't change next week.

I think many here on this might feel the same.

+1.

If you feel like the current environment in this country is healthy for our 2A rights, then I think you're mistaken. How can a pro-gun person be against fellow pro-gun citizens who want to assemble, promote, and exercise gun rights? I guess there will always be the ones willing to do the dirty work to maintain the rights of those who just sit back and take no action.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top