Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/26/2011 12:26:08 PM EDT
I have a valid Ohio CCW permit.....how can I legally carry my AR with me in my trunk/hatch?  Is there any difference between it and pistol?  TIA
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks...so no loaded mags...but I can have ammo and mags along correct?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I just moved here.  How difficult would it be to repeal this ridiculous law?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree...as a CCW we can carry our Glock 17's mag full, one in the pipe at condition one all over the place....yet my AR has to be in the car with a dry mag??? no sense doth this make!
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just moved here.  How difficult would it be to repeal this ridiculous law?

It'll prolly be a year or more before we see anything but http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ said that will be their next thing they will be working on, so hopefully one day we will have the stupid nonsense fixed, especially for chl holders. oh and welcome to ohio![img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_cool.gif[/img

eta: check out buckeye firearms and sign up, they are pretty cool and on arfcom too, a lot of ohio stuff along with national firearm news and info
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I for one feel if you are not a LEO in a police car on duty (and I am not a LEO by the way) you should not have access to any other loaded mag other than your CHL weapon accessible in your vehicle.. Just no need for it.. Now in a locked trunk is cool and if you own a SUV or van then in a locked box at the rear is fine as well. I find the law a pain in the ass as well... But to have them just sitting in the seat with the AR or AK or whatever you have it is just not wise... Trust me I’m 100% true blue NRA / Second Amendment.. But a line has to be drawn...
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is a related question that I have been mulling over for a few days.

Am I legal to carry loaded magazines around for my AR pistol (no stock w/ 7.5" barrel)?

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Am I legal to carry loaded magazines around for my AR pistol (no stock w/ 7.5" barrel)?

Can you holster it? or lock it in a glove box or like area or even a locked box on the seat or floor..  Dude that is one grey area in the law do you dare test the CHL gods :)
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you holster it? or lock it in a glove box or like area or even a locked box on the seat or floor..  Dude that is one grey area in the law do you dare test the CHL gods :)

Holster limitations in the car were removed with the last CCW bill IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You just answered your own question, homie.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I for one feel if you are not a LEO in a police car on duty (and I am not a LEO by the way) you should not have access to any other loaded mag other than your CHL weapon accessible in your vehicle.. Just no need for it.. Now in a locked trunk is cool and if you own a SUV or van then in a locked box at the rear is fine as well. I find the law a pain in the ass as well... But to have them just sitting in the seat with the AR or AK or whatever you have it is just not wise... Trust me I’m 100% true blue NRA / Second Amendment.. But a line has to be drawn...

Throwing out some mighty leftist words there, varmint. You sure you're on the right site?  i think you and I have had some issues in the past, and I am willing to forgive.  But not this, now a "line has to be drawn".
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Huh?  Could you please explain this "line" you want to draw a bit clearer for me?

Why can I be considered responsible with my enough to carry a loaded pistol but not a loaded rifle or loaded rifle magazines?

(Edited for the rifle mags too)
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?  Could you please explain this "line" you want to draw a bit clearer for me?

Why can I be considered responsible with my enough to carry a loaded pistol but not a loaded rifle?

BOOM! True that SmallboreF!!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#16]
It would be nice to not have to spend so much range time (paid for by the hour) loading mags...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just answered your own question, homie.

That is pretty much what I figured, but I didn't know if Ohio had any restrictions written into the law that defined a pistol differently than the ATF.

Most of the time I am only driving 5 minutes to a friend's house to shoot anyway.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can I be considered responsible with my enough to carry a loaded pistol but not a loaded rifle or loaded rifle magazines?

Its not about you personally ... it's an opinion nothing more....
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All he's asking is why is this so "unwise"? If you're pro-2A then you shouldn't have a problem with people having loaded long guns in their cars. What exactly is being prevented by making people do so? All it does it make criminals out of gun owners.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just confused by what your saying.  You say that your 100% true blue NRA / Second Amendment yet you make a statement that appears to contradict it.
I was just wondering what your reasoning is behind the statement you made and if you would be willing to explain it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Ok, here is what I was told about my Then AR-Pistol. Now a SBR. "it's a real gray area. But if you DO NOT have a AR rifle in the vehicle you would be ok." But I didn't feel very sure about that. And never pushed the subject. I went and changed the pistol to a SBR. And now like the rest of us. Are waiting to see WHEN our friends at Buckeye Firearms are going to make there move to address this law.  As I was told, it's more of a waiting game of politics of when to push the go button on this one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just confused by what your saying.  You say that your 100% true blue NRA / Second Amendment yet you make a statement that appears to contradict it.
I was just wondering what your reasoning is behind the statement you made and if you would be willing to explain it.

I believe in the right to arms 100% but I don't think anyone has the need to have a loaded AR or AK in the vehicle... we are not in a war zone so to speak.. and it is more of a safety issue not the right to have issue...  I agree it's a BS law and we should be able to have loaded mags in the trunk or locked  box... just not accessible.. again it's not about trust it's about safety... Plus we all know the real reason the cops don't like to be out gunned...

Just because we support the NRA does not mean full autos for every one.. if you follow me... there has to be some order.. if you ever served in the military you know what is meant in saying that...
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throwing out some mighty leftist words there, varmint. You sure you're on the right site?  i think you and I have had some issues in the past, and I am willing to forgive.  But not this, now a "line has to be drawn".

Dude calling me left is like calling you rational.. it's just not happening
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Digital_Chaos:  You know I may not be 100% behind you on all that you have posted on this subject. But I can see your point about loaded rifle mags stored in the trunk or closed case. As we speak that would even give us more freedom than we have at this point. I'm glad to see there's someone else in this room that can have some idea's other than the full auto's for all.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for clarifying your position.  While I don't necessarily agree with your view I can understand it.  I'm hardly in the "full auto" for all camp but I don't see the loaded rifle mags as a loaded weapon (in the eyes of the law) either.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:42:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Lets just all do the right thing here and pretend the laws dont exhist on this particular subject.  I will be going to work with 11 AR-15 rifles in my trunk today all with hot mags. If anyone would like to meet me there at 10:30 am, I'll be passing them out so that you too can carry an AR in your trunk.  If that time does not work for you then come to the Planet Smoothie parking lot at about 4:30pm and I'll be handing out RPG's for your trunk.  We all good now?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I myself would just like to see the law changed to "as long as the mag is not in the weapon and no round chambered" And could even live with storied separate away from the weapon. I'm sure BFA will take this fight up sooner or later. And what ever they decide to do, I'll back them.

My focus in the New Year is to get more involved with BFA.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I myself would just like to see the law changed to "as long as the mag is not in the weapon and no round chambered" And could even live with storied separate away from the weapon. I'm sure BFA will take this fight up sooner or later. And what ever they decide to do, I'll back them.

My focus in the New Year is to get more involved with BFA.

While that would be better, it still makes absolutely zero sense to have any restrictions on loaded mags being in the rifle. What horrible crime is being prevented by doing so? Is it lessening the chance of an AD? If that's the case, do we really need laws to fix a safety issue? I really don't see what the issue is, especially with CHL holders.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Digital Chaos,

Many states such as Texas, Arizona, Vermont, Alaska and most down south, allow loaded weapons (rifles and handguns) in a vehicle without a permit.  Its not a problem in those states so why would it be a problem in Ohio?  Wheraes YOU may not see the need for it, I DO NOT see the need to have a retarded law that prohibits it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Digital Chaos,

Many states such as Texas, Arizona, Vermont, Alaska and most down south, allow loaded weapons (rifles and handguns) in a vehicle without a permit.  Its not a problem in those states so why would it be a problem in Ohio?  Wheraes YOU may not see the need for it, I DO NOT see the need to have a retarded law that prohibits it.

Agree 100%
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Seems to me that every day, we need to remove laws from the books not have more.  I just can't understand the mentality of voting to give others more power over me.  Sure some laws are needed, but I'll bet there are far more that are not needed than needed.

My $00.02
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Digital Chaos,

Agree 100%

Except for vermont have you been to any of these states? I have and they are huge and 3/4 + of it is farm or wilderness.. I can see it there..  the issue on loaed mags is the question ... if you feel the need to have a loaded rifle in ohio cities man I dont know what to tell you... you Do NOT live in the wilderness or are you in war zone... I will say this one more time... and Im done... I have no isse with having loaded mags that are not your CHL mags as long as they are in the trunk and if no trunk locked in a box... To many things can go wrong with a laoded AR or like in the car... The guys who are on the fuck the law i should be able to carry what ever I want mentality man you guys really need to look at all the aspects to what you are saying,,, its just not healthy and you are the one who give the lefties the ammo they need to keep the laws the way they are....

OK to recap, the current law... no loaded mags other than CHL BAD! law needs to be loaded mags in trunk or in locked box good idea.. Bad idea to have loaded rifles or shot guns in a car, truck, train, on public streets unless you are on safari in Kenya or like place...  Really if you feel your life in is such danger and you need to be condition red 100% of the time and have fully loaded AR in your car for protection you need to move in the wilderness away from everyone and chill...
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Where is Ohio not 3/4+ Wilderness/Farmland? If you don't think it's a good idea to have a loaded AR in your car, fine you don't have to have one there. Telling other people how they should have to transport their guns is nanny-state nonsense.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Digital Chaos,

Agree 100%

Except for vermont have you been to any of these states? I have and they are huge and 3/4 + of it is farm or wilderness.. I can see it there..  the issue on loaed mags is the question ... if you feel the need to have a loaded rifle in ohio cities man I dont know what to tell you... you Do NOT live in the wilderness or are you in war zone... I will say this one more time... and Im done... I have no isse with having loaded mags that are not your CHL mags as long as they are in the trunk and if no trunk locked in a box... To many things can go wrong with a laoded AR or like in the car... The guys who are on the fuck the law i should be able to carry what ever I want mentality man you guys really need to look at all the aspects to what you are saying,,, its just not healthy and you are the one who give the lefties the ammo they need to keep the laws the way they are....

OK to recap, the current law... no loaded mags other than CHL BAD! law needs to be loaded mags in trunk or in locked box good idea.. Bad idea to have loaded rifles or shot guns in a car, truck, train, on public streets unless you are on safari in Kenya or like place...  Really if you feel your life in is such danger and you need to be condition red 100% of the time and have fully loaded AR in your car for protection you need to move in the wilderness away from everyone and chill...

Hey Digital Chaos,

Try telling this to the people down in New Orleans during Katrina or those who live along the southern border facing run ins with armed cartels.  If you dont think SHTF cant happen in Ohio than think again. Just because Ohio might be more "urbanized" than most states DOES NOT mean I should have to surrender my right to keep a loaded rifle in my truck.  Your entitiled to your opinion, but I will NOT tolerate people like YOU questioning MY need to have loaded weapons in my car, house, or wherever I feel that I might need to protect my family.  Seriously, get a clue.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I think I've stepped into the Twilight Zone, HCI, DU or all three combined.

So, I can have an AR pistol and half a dozen loaded mags, but not a rifle because that would be dangerous? Sarah, is that you? I guess it should suffice to say that I cannot argue with that "logic".

And machine guns SHOULD be able to be bought at the local department store with no questions asked. Same as any gun could have been 45 years ago. Should be able to mail order them as well.

It's no wonder our country is in the shape it is when people on a "gun board" would/do willingly give up what was once a right taken for granted. May your chains rest lightly while I go puke.

Another tidbit: Rifles are a more accurate and more effective means of self defense. You would rather a person have to defend themselves with an inferior weapon with a higher likelyhood of errant shots so you can feel good about "these crazy gun nuts who want a >gasp< LOADED RIFLE in their car"
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's no wonder our country is in the shape it is when people on a "gun board" would/do willingly give up what was once a right taken for granted. May your chains rest lightly while I go puke.

No kidding.  To claim being 100% for guns, but then agreeing with all kinds of regulations seems a bit off.  Believe what you want, but at least be accurate about it.  Based on what I saw from that post, it sounds more like "50%" for guns.  :-)

PA has the same law.  Over there, I *really* want to have a rifle on me when I'm working rally stages late at night in the middle of the forest.  Large forest animals DO exist out there.  Odds on an attack are pretty low, but it sure would be nice to be able to keep a loaded rifle as I'm moving about.  Having to unload/reload every time I want to move somewhere via car is terrible.  Speaking of safety, how exactly is repeatedly unloading and reloading a weapon safer than just leaving it loaded???

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I can have my AK pistol loaded in the truck but not my AK  or AR. No sense!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding.  To claim being 100% for guns, but then agreeing with all kinds of regulations seems a bit off.  Believe what you want, but at least be accurate about it.  Based on what I saw from that post, it sounds more like "50%" for guns.  :-)

PA has the same law.  Over there, I *really* want to have a rifle on me when I'm working rally stages late at night in the middle of the forest.  Large forest animals DO exist out there.  Odds on an attack are pretty low, but it sure would be nice to be able to keep a loaded rifle as I'm moving about.  Having to unload/reload every time I want to move somewhere via car is terrible.  Speaking of safety, how exactly is repeatedly unloading and reloading a weapon safer than just leaving it loaded???

I agree with both of you

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:34:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Digital Chaos,

Agree 100%

Hey Digital Chaos,

Try telling this to the people down in New Orleans during Katrina or those who live along the southern border facing run ins with armed cartels.  If you dont think SHTF cant happen in Ohio than think again. Just because Ohio might be more "urbanized" than most states DOES NOT mean I should have to surrender my right to keep a loaded rifle in my truck.  Your entitiled to your opinion, but I will NOT tolerate people like YOU questioning MY need to have loaded weapons in my car, house, or wherever I feel that I might need to protect my family.  Seriously, get a clue.  

Dude.. you are not in war zone you did not live in New Orleans and last time i looked around the shit has not hit the fan here in Ohio.. and when and if it does then by all means lock and load I be right there with you... now you want to bring your home into it.. Now one said anything about homes.. you just want to run your mouth and have the pass out full autos to all... no you my friend you need to get a clue.. you are paranoid and that is not healthy.. To stand up and shout I want the right to have fully loaded assault rifle in my car or truck is just nuts dude… The NRA would turn you away and revoke your membership..  No one on this forum including me is trying to take your freedoms from you.. Common sense is not anti gun.. The one thing that is paramount in gun transportation is SAFTEY so no one gets hurt… STOP acting like you are in theater and grow up,
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#41]
OK let’s try this So Fuck the rules... guns for all... now think about it... Guns for "ALL" regardless of mental, criminal past ... if you believe in that then you are the ones putting your family at risk.. Not the guy who thinks the 4473 or some basic rules is just a formality and a small price to pay to keep the right to buy a gun a simple step or two..  

Did you ever think that the time you take loading your mags at the range is good time to talk to your kids about gun safety and ownership or even school ????  No? or is it the I'm in a fucking hurry fuck the world my AR must be loaded and ready to go out of the box.. if you are latter then guy you truly do not understand what many people have died for in the wars we have fought in the past 235+ years...
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Do you really carry an AK pistol as your CHL?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:26:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Do you really carry an AK pistol as your CHL?

Spinning rims are also required if you do.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
OK let’s try this So Fuck the rules... guns for all... now think about it... Guns for "ALL" regardless of mental, criminal past ... if you believe in that then you are the ones putting your family at risk.. Not the guy who thinks the 4473 or some basic rules is just a formality and a small price to pay to keep the right to buy a gun a simple step or two..  

Did you ever think that the time you take loading your mags at the range is good time to talk to your kids about gun safety and ownership or even school ????  No? or is it the I'm in a fucking hurry fuck the world my AR must be loaded and ready to go out of the box.. if you are latter then guy you truly do not understand what many people have died for in the wars we have fought in the past 235+ years...

Newsflash, anybody can get a gun, regardless of all the crap laws that have been put in place. Your family is already at risk given that. Criminals don't follow the laws. I don't have kids so having to load mags at the range is a waste of my time which I would rather spend shooting before the daylight runs out. The bottom line is we want to be left alone. You on the other hand are becoming unhinged because some people want to be able to have a little freedom.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You can carry it on the front seat.  But no loaded magazines for it anywhere in the vehicle.

–– Chuck

Size matters ! ! !

Ohio Revised Code

See Item (C) part (4) in the link above.  

It mentions at least 18" barrel as a limitation for Plain Sight, etc.

(doesn't look like this was this removed in the last rev. to the code)

Nasty little trap to catch those little cricket 22's, carbines, etc.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude.. you are not in war zone you did not live in New Orleans and last time i looked around the shit has not hit the fan here in Ohio.. and when and if it does then by all means lock and load I be right there with you... now you want to bring your home into it.. Now one said anything about homes.. you just want to run your mouth and have the pass out full autos to all... no you my friend you need to get a clue.. you are paranoid and that is not healthy.. To stand up and shout I want the right to have fully loaded assault rifle in my car or truck is just nuts dude… The NRA would turn you away and revoke your membership..  No one on this forum including me is trying to take your freedoms from you.. Common sense is not anti gun.. The one thing that is paramount in gun transportation is SAFTEY so no one gets hurt… STOP acting like you are in theater and grow up,

WOW and the NRA will demand our membership be revoked?

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Now you are reaching, we are talking CHL holders having a loaded rifle in their vehicles not about ex-cons that did time or mental people

Again we are talking about CHL holders having loaded rifles or loaded mags in a vehicle, not the gun range for a practice session with the kids, besides do you only talk to your kids about gun safety/ownership and school at the gun range?

ETA the last part, I was in the Military, obviously I didn't die in a war but I didn't do my time so we could have more bullshit rules heaped on us and rules heaped on the 2nd Amendment

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Digital Chaos,

Agree 100%

Hey Digital Chaos,

The main point I was getting at is that many states DO NOT prohibit having loading weapons inside vehicles and I feel that Ohio should eliminate this law so we dont make instant felons out of honest people. Yes I believe, I should have the right to keep a loaded "rifle" (I never said assault rifle) in my car but that does not mean I plan on doing it everyday if ever.  I never said anything about passing out full auto's to everyone SO STFU! and DONT TWIST MY WORDS AROUND! As far as calling me paranoid, I think the only one thats paranoid is YOU....afraid that Ohio may someday legalize something thats allowed in other states.  In fact with your choice words of "common sense", "safety", "paranoid", "assault rifle" makes you sure sound like an anti gunner. Your on the wrong web site.  You want  www.bradycampaign.org.  Youll find more of your kind over there.....TROLL!

Oh and BTW You seem to know alot about me.........but I will correct you on one thing......I have been in a war zone (OIF3 and 5).

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#49]

The main point I was getting at is that many states DO NOT prohibit having loading weapons inside vehicles and I feel that Ohio should eliminate this law so we dont make instant felons out of honest people. Yes I believe, I should have the right to keep a loaded "rifle" (I never said assault rifle) in my car but that does not mean I plan on doing it everyday if ever. I never said anything about passing out full auto's to everyone SO STFU! and DONT TWIST MY WORDS AROUND! As far as calling me paranoid, I think the only one thats paranoid is YOU....afraid the Ohio may someday legalize something thats allowed in other states. In fact with your choice words of "common sense", "safety", "paranoid", "assault rifle" makes you sure sound like an anti gunner. Your on the wrong web site. You want www.bradycampaign.org. Youll find more of your kind over there.....TROLL!

Oh and BTW You seem to know alot about me.........but I will correct you on one thing......I have been in a war zone (OIF3 and 5). You got some smart little comment to say about that?

I new it wouldn't take long before someone got there panties in a twist. Let the name calling begin............
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:08:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Digital Chaos,

Agree 100%

Please, just stop. Enough anti-gun thinking for one thread, just stop.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top