Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2017 7:57:54 PM EDT
im going on a road trip to california and i always like to have a pistol with me. whats the law in california as far as having it in the vehicle? im guessing unloaded? i would like to have my xds i know their not legal to own there but can i bring it with me?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No magazines over ten rounds.

Pistols in a automobile must be unloaded and in a locked container (such as your trunk, but otherwise inaccessible to the driver).
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
ok thanks. what about the xds? can i bring it there?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is not configured as an assault weapon then, yes, you can bring it.

Even so, no mags more than ten rounds.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:34:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Mags can be loaded too. But no loaded mag in the pistol.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No magazines over ten rounds.

Pistols in a automobile must be unloaded and in a locked container (such as your trunk, but otherwise inaccessible to the driver).
View Quote
The container itself (if you're not using a locking vehicle compartment like the trunk as your container) does not need to be inaccessible to the driver.  It just needs to be locked and the pistol itself unloaded (loaded magazines, locked or unlocked, are just fine).
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The container itself (if you're not using a locking vehicle compartment like the trunk as your container) does not need to be inaccessible to the driver.  It just needs to be locked and the pistol itself unloaded (loaded magazines, locked or unlocked, are just fine).
View Quote
Ah, I see.  My point is, being in a locked container makes it inaccessible to the driver just as keeping it in a locked trunk would make it inaccessible.

I suppose it's worth mentioning here that neither the glove box nor the center console are allowed to be used, even if they are lockable.

It's funny how much typing it takes to explain something that is really so simple.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
We should have some sticky threads with solid, simple HOW-TO's for California.  The California sticky threads are "full-text".  It would be nice to have summaries with links to the full text.

Example -

"How to Transport Handguns In Your Vehicle While In California"

1.  Handgun must be unloaded.
2.  Handgun must be in a locked container*.  
3.  Magazines may be loaded and stored in the container but may not be in the handgun.

*  Typically, locked in the trunk but any locked container qualifies except not in the glove box or center console.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
great thanks for the info. i drive a truck so in the trunk is out of the question. ill have to dig up a lockable container.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
great thanks for the info. i drive a truck so in the trunk is out of the question. ill have to dig up a lockable container.
View Quote
Doesn't have to be a hard case or have integral locks or anything like that.  It could be just a soft bag of some sort with the zipper pulls held together by a luggage lock or something.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lockable container can be pistol bag with a TSA lock through the two zippers, it its locked by definition.

Also, no threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top