Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2017 6:24:13 PM EDT
My work approached me with a position that would require me to relocate to the Fresno/ Sacremento area for a couple years. As you can tell by my involvement with this forum, I am a huge gun fan, it's my only hobby so I am skeptical of a move to CA.

Can any of you guys in this area give me a feel for the gun climate in this area? Are there any outdoor ranges to join? Anything with long distances available? I found the Fresno rifle and pistol club but their website is vague.

I'd likely just leave my ARs here in GA for my time in CA so the only thing I'd really be looking to shoot would be my precision bolt guns. Any PRS type competitions around? That's what I love doing.

Any information is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You will find California has a VERY active firearms community - active in terms of hosting events to attend.  There are LOTS of ranges around.  I bet you are pleasantly surprised when you get here.

M1A's in their original stock are fine except for two things - no flash hider and no magazines over ten rounds.  There is a California-compliant muzzle brake readily available for installation and they are neither expensive nor hard to install.

Bolt action rifles are totally okay, just no magazines over ten rounds

No handgun magazines over ten rounds, either.

Sacramento Valley Range has ranges that go to at least 1,000 yards.  Coalinga has the same.  There are many others, too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Better check on the removable magazine legislation.  I don't think it applies to M1A's (not an assault weapon) but better check.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys! That makes the area much more attractive, I was concerned I'd have to totally give up my hobby!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Where exactly are you moving to? Fresno and Sac are still a 3 hour drive apart.
Fresno Rifle & Pistol club is a nice place. Two 100 yard ranges along with member only ranges that include 300yrd, clay pigeon thrower, cowboy action range, and a long range high power 800yrd(iirc) range.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Another option if you're interested, the national forest isn't that far away either, at least from Fresno. Not sure about Sac
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where exactly are you moving to? Fresno and Sac are still a 3 hour drive apart.
Fresno Rifle & Pistol club is a nice place. Two 100 yard ranges along with member only ranges that include 300yrd, clay pigeon thrower, cowboy action range, and a long range high power 800yrd(iirc) range.
View Quote
So nothing is official yet, still working out the details. The information I have been given about the exact location is I'd have flexibility to relocate where ever best suits me between fresno and Sacramento.

Locations to shoot is high on the list of importance to me, but I also need to be somewhere that my significant other can find a nice job within reasnoable driving distance. Really just exploring options at this time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
There are some nice places up highway 50 from Sacramento that are less ghetto and more rural, and cheaper to rent. I live in El Dorado Hills and the commute to Sac isn't terrible most days. 
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are some nice places up highway 50 from Sacramento that are less ghetto and more rural, and cheaper to rent. I live in El Dorado Hills and the commute to Sac isn't terrible most days. 
View Quote
This. You get plenty of open land to shoot on and Sac Valley Shooting center which is a very nice facility. Both areas will issue CCW's as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top