Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 9:55:00 AM EDT
I'll be flying into SLO Thursday morning with my wife.  We've got a wedding to attend Saturday before flying back out Sunday morning.  I haven't been out there in 15 years so looking for some advice of things to do/see while we're there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Things I would do (but never lived there) -

1.  Drive to Cambria and its beaches for a walk, some dinner,...

2.  Bike ride to Avila beach for some sun and fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Run the beach nude
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Hearst Castle tour is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Morro Bay, a bit of a drive north-west
Hearst Castle, a longer drive north-west
Madonna Inn, in town
Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, a bit of a drive south
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, it is close to the central coast vineyards at Paso Robles, if you guys are into that sort of pastime.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:02:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd suggest the coast.  Avila and Pismo are OK.  But in Morro Bay, you've got more possibilities.  Montana de Oro and in and around the bay.  You can rent kayaks  and play around the bay some.  Look for the otters.  Some possibilities for sunset dining, etc.  But there are also some nice eats in San Luis, too.  You can go north from there to Cambria and San Simeon areas.  Besides the town of Cambria and Hearst Castle, there will likely be elephant seals at Piedras Blancas.  Mostly females and young ones this time of year.  Not sure how far north you can go on Highway 1.  It's closed in Big Sur.  But you might be able to get some of the spectacular cliff edge driving.  They'll be able to tell you locally how far you can go.  Morro Bay and Cambria aren't too bad for gassing up, markets, if you want to grab something for a picnic, etc.  Past Cambria the pickings are slim and expensive.

North of San Luis on the 101 you can go to Paso Robles for the local wineries although there are some in closer to San Luis as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the recommendations.  It will be nice to leave this late winter weather in North MN and enjoy some nice weather.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I was going to say college chicks, but the part about flying in with the wife might put a damper on that idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was going to say college chicks, but the part about flying in with the wife might put a damper on that idea.
View Quote
Always worth a try though....
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Your going to enjoy some awesome weather at least, it is supposed to be 78 degrees on Sat. It was pouring rain here Monday and Tuesday, enjoy the weather ! Hit farmers market on Thursday night for some BBQ.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, it is close to the central coast vineyards at Paso Robles, if you guys are into that sort of pastime.
View Quote
Obviously I'm a little late but I figured I'd add this in case someone pulls this thread up in the future.

Kelsey See Canyon Vineyards - San Luis Bay Dr/See Canyon Rd.  I met my sister/BIL and some of their friends there last summer on my way to Thousand Oaks - it's a nice little wine tasting garden type place.  My sis and I went to Cal Poly SLO and all I can say is the area has definitely changed - not better or worse just different.  Driving through Paso Robles on 101 is like driving 101 in Sonoma County - nothing but vineyards to see.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an awesome time there.  Hiked Bishop Peak the afternoon we got there.  Great view and nice hike.  Friday morning we hit Avila beach to walk the shops before it got busy.  Then we headed down to Pismo Beach where we spent the rest of the day.  Swam, sat in the sun, walked the shops, ate drank and rented a 4 person bike to cruise around on.  Saturday we hit Morrow Bay to see the rock, otters and shops before heading to Higuera Ranch for the wedding.  What an awesome place nestled in the valley.  This northern Minnesota hick stood out in all the hipsters in suits and manbuns.  Had some good food and fun time dancing with some beautiful ladies, including my wife.  Definitely changed since I was there over 15 years ago but anxious to go back.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the report back. I was going to suggest the chewing gum alley but figured you might already know about it.  My daughter almost went to Cal Poly SLO but went Pomona instead.  Shot an excuse to make  long weekend visits up there, however, she/we also saved enough by her living at home over room and board, etc., that now that she's graduated she's been able to save enough to be able to down payment a nice condo.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
We hit bubblegum alley on our way to dinner one night.  There's a pub just down the street from it we ate at and happened by chance to walk by the alley.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top