Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2017 3:52:50 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a new handgun, and so far all of the shops I've been to have had pitiful selections. I went to Sharpshooter in Torrance, and they had literally 14 guns in the display case, and the place in Long Beach I visited had an OK selection, but you had to take a number just to talk to someone behind the counter.

Who has a good selection, especially used? I'm willing to travel up to 100 miles or so from Long Beach. I'm especially looking for older stuff from the 50's through the 80's, but even a place with a wide selection of brand new guns would be great.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The great state of CA found the microstamp technology to be both proven and implementable, and now requires all new semi-auto pistols to have a microstamp feature.

Now we all realize the microstamp technology is both unproven and junk science, so this is why you see a limited selection of pistols.

All new pistols require a microstamp feature, and other pistols are dropping off the list.

Try Turners, they probably have every pistol currently available, or ask the gun store.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The Stockade in Westminster or Fowlers in Orange (sister stores) usually have the most diverse inventory. Prices are usually msrp or higher so you are paying for their selection.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
What about used? Where do you guys go? Pawn shops? Gunbroker?

I'm leaning towards a vintage Colt 1911 or a classic S&W.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone recently been to Martin B. Retting in Culver City?  They used to have quite a collection of new and used firearms for sale - long guns and hand guns.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone recently been to Martin B. Retting in Culver City?  They used to have quite a collection of new and used firearms for sale - long guns and hand guns.
View Quote
I've bought a number of firearms from Retting.  Prices are fair.  Most of the staff seems knowledgeable.  They have a huge selection of new and used firearms (my favorite).  The only downside is that it can get busy and you may have to wait your turn.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:42:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've bought a number of firearms from Retting.  Prices are fair.  Most of the staff seems knowledgeable.  They have a huge selection of new and used firearms (my favorite).  The only downside is that it can get busy and you may have to wait your turn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stopped by there today, and that place is exactly what I've been looking for. I'll save $40 on the 1911 I'm looking at if I buy it from Turner's in Signal Hill, but they had a pretty good selection of the C&R stuff I'm really into at Retting, so I'll definitely be picking up a SMLE and a few other odds and ends there in the future.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Sort of ugh.  If you are saving at Turner's, that doesn't usually suggest "reasonable."  Although I did get my CZ 97 on sale at a bit better price than other places.  OTOH, it sounds like a good spot for a trip some weekend when I have either time or money to spend.  Not usually both at the same time, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top