Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2017 12:49:47 AM EDT
I am watching the live stream on youtube and monitoring the twitter feed.
150,000 residents being evacuated from the area. They are evacuating the Butte County Jail.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/orovilledam?f=tweets&vertical=news&src=tren
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Was wondering the same. I'm in Chico and there's quite a bit of panic going on right now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#2]
For socal the next weather system is predicting 3-6" of rain.  The norcal typically gets this plus more.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
We evacuated out of Biggs to Chico.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was wondering the same. I'm in Chico and there's quite a bit of panic going on right now.
View Quote

It was pretty stressful, being told you had an hour to get out and nowhere to go.

It's hard to describe the emotion you feel when you drive into your little home town and the air-raid sirens are going for ever and ever.

What do you take and what do you leave?

Tom
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The BIG thread in General Discussion was telling the tale for several days now.  It was the main stream media who dropped the ball by failing inform the populace of the impending disaster.There was a lot of time to pack and get out had you known about the GD thread.

Personally, I did not cross post here because that is frowned upon at this site.

Good luck and god speed to you all.  May the dam hold.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Evacuation orders have been lifted. Let's hope this next storm doesn't cause more problems.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
All roads open, evacuation order lifted! It's good to be home.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Personally I think they should let the dam go, they've spent so much money on drought re-education that they never thought to test the spillway!

Then let the class action lawsuits begin!
View Quote

Personally I'm quite glad that they did NOT let the dam go. I'm kinda fond of my home.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Personally I think they should let the dam go, they've spent so much money on drought re-education that they never thought to test the spillway!

Then let the class action lawsuits begin!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Starting to sprinkle a little already, rain forecast for tonight through Saturday. A few more evacuations and we may figure this shit out .
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#12]
My sister lives in the outskirts of Oroville, SE of town.  About 7 miles south of the dam and 5 miles east of the Feather.  They stayed in place. Local noon news just forecast between 5 - 6 inches of rain there by Sunday.  The 2 forecasts I just looked at online show rain for the next 7 days.  The Feather River drainage is enormous.  Hopefully the engineers get this one right.  Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Personally I'm quite glad that they did NOT let the dam go. I'm kinda fond of my home.
View Quote

+1

Glad you got to go home.  I'd be interested to hear more about what you did decide to take with you when you had such little time and those sirens going off - lessons learned and tips for fire season/future evacuations and all that.  

I haven't unpacked everything yet from our move to California, but we've got most of the rooms set up with some extra space in a nice quiet neighborhood in Magalia if you get evacuated again with the rains coming and need shelter with HBO and fine boxed wine.  Someone might have to sleep in the ammo fort, but there's space, a good pellet stove, and a bunch of deer in the backyard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#14]
My work in San Jose operates all over the bay aaa & north. We were just asked for volunteeers to go up there to fix a few leaks. I may take him up in that offer.

I'm an excellent hole plugger
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1

Glad you got to go home.  I'd be interested to hear more about what you did decide to take with you when you had such little time and those sirens going off - lessons learned and tips for fire season/future evacuations and all that.  

I haven't unpacked everything yet from our move to California, but we've got most of the rooms set up with some extra space in a nice quiet neighborhood in Magalia if you get evacuated again with the rains coming and need shelter with HBO and fine boxed wine.  Someone might have to sleep in the ammo fort, but there's space, a good pellet stove, and a bunch of deer in the backyard.
View Quote

That's very generous of you. Having a few days now to think over everything, I guaranty the next time will be much smoother. We had about 40 minutes to pack and did a pretty good job. Next time we'll be loaded in less than ten minutes. We'll have to meet up some day and I'll tell you all about it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top