Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 8:06:37 PM EDT
Hopefully I'm in the right section for this. I'm going through a nasty divorce and the wife is going after my firearms collection that I got before I met her. I did squire new firearms in the course of the marriage but I sold guns I had before I met her to fund the new ones. Can she legally go after my extensive firearms collection?

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
She is generally entitled to half of what was acquired during the term of the community (the marriage).

What you had before is supposed to be your separate property.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a great attorney.  Yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold guns and gear that I aquired before I met her to buy new guns. Never used community funds. Essentially, sold old guns go buy new ones. How can she be entitled to them?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
A few months too late. She did hit me with TRO. FAILED miserably. Cost me 2G's for defense attorney but failed. I've had zero contact With for 10 months but I know she's coming after what I love. My guns. She's the one that left me for some other guy. Life was turned upside down. She was my life. I just don't want to lose my guns to a cheating and vindictive woman. I sold old guns to fund new guns. Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sold guns and gear that I aquired before I met her to buy new guns. Never used community funds. Essentially, sold old guns go buy new ones. How can she be entitled to them?
View Quote

If she does that, get even:

Threaten to get half of her SHOE COLLECTION!

This will make her back off.    
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Sell them all to a friend for half of what they are worth.  Give her the other half.  Come out of pocket and get your guns back from your friend after you are divorced....  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
This kind of thing is not allowed during CA divorce proceedings.  Her attorney and/or the judge find out and they will treat it as if he is hiding assets and essentially stealing from community property that has not been legally divided yet.

In CA you have enough stacked against you without trying this kind of crap.

Quoted:
Sell them all to a friend for half of what they are worth.  Give her the other half.  Come out of pocket and get your guns back from your friend after you are divorced....  
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Oops, never mind. Note to self:  Always read the thread before posting.

But as a divorced man in CA my opinion is that your argument is going to be tough.  As already stated anything acquired during the marriage is probably going to be classified as community property.  I mean it's worth a shot but remember she can use it as leverage in the negotiations. Also hiding assets in an active divorce is a bad idea.  Get caught, potentially get fucked by the court.  But community property works both ways.  Cars, boats, real estate, art and yeah, shoes, purses and designer clothing are fair game.

eta And I will add that unless we are talking a HUGE collection of rare or irreplaceable items worth a bajillion dollars it will be worth it to get this shit over with ASAP.  Don't let it drag out any longer than necessary.  Guns are just things.  Your sanity is priceless.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have any guns that are considered "assault rifles" after the first of this year, couldn't you just register them as such and then drag the case on and make sure it ends after this date?  Under new CAL law, you can't transfer an assault rifle so shouldn't they be stuck with you?  Just an idea.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

... it will be worth it to get this shit over with ASAP.  Don't let it drag out.  
View Quote

THIS!

is If you owned the specific firearm before the marriage, it's yours.

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#12]
OK this will suck but some times you just have to suck it up.

She is going to get half, there is no way around that . . . . . . ."HALF"  

You can drag it out which will increase your lawyer fee's and hers as well, (which you will probably have to pay as well)  so that you still end up giving away half and paying a ton in legal fees.

OR

You can just suck it up understand you are going to be required to give a way half your crap and just offer it up.     Your lawyer fees will be a lot less and the whole thing is over much quicker, and it will be cheaper, and you can get on to rebuilding your life quicker.

A gun is a gun you can buy another one later on.    Just be glad you dont have kids or you would be paying child support to the bitch as well.

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top