Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 4:38:00 PM EDT
I was out at Hodge Road on Wednesday and somebody put up a bunch of "Private Property - No Trespassing" signs. They start about halfway through the berms and are on both sides of the road. They look brand new.

They weren't just stuck on pallets or propped up in the brush, somebody mounted them to wooden posts and hammered them into the ground.

This is BLM land. Anybody know what's going on out there? My first thought was "Free targets!!" but they're mounted along the dirt road, not the berms.

And yes, everybody ignored them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is Hodge Road?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I heard about that from a friend, he said he heard that some of the land was sold and is now private.

Another thing, don't shoot the signs as all it does is make us look like a bunch of dipdunks. And give them more of a reason to close the area, not that I would ever go there. But for those that feel the need, it's not going to help.

Hodge Rd. is off the 15 before Barstow.
View Quote

interesting. I hadn't heard of this. I wonder if there is any way to find out from BLM directly. We usually go out once a year with a bunch of guys
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:16:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I heard about that from a friend, he said he heard that some of the land was sold and is now private.

Another thing, don't shoot the signs as all it does is make us look like a bunch of dipdunks. And give them more of a reason to close the area, not that I would ever go there. But for those that feel the need, it's not going to help.

Hodge Rd. is off the 15 before Barstow.
View Quote

I was making a joke about using the signs as targets. I bring my own target stands. I don't go out there as much as I used to because I joined WEGC and to be honest, don't feel too comfortable with some of the idiots who go shooting there. Last time I was out there some idiot and his son decided to climb to the top of the ridge line while about a dozen people were shooting.

I actually went out there looking for brass. I always bring home a lot more than I shot and that's just been from cleaning up around my shooting spot. This time I got there at 7:00 AM and walked the length of both sides of the road and I'm not kidding....didn't find more than 30 pieces of brass. Plenty of steel cases lying around but apparently somebody spent a lot of time picking that place clean. I spent about 2 hours looking for brass, 30 minutes shooting (couldn't go home with an empty bucket), then headed home.

Thanks for the info about the sale, I'll have to call BLM to find out what happened.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where is Hodge Road?
View Quote

It's where nobody cleans up after themselves. This is actually the clean side of the road. The northern side is much worse.

Despite all this trash, we even police up our rimfire casings. I don't leave anything behind.

I took this right before the guy and his kid climbed up the hill (mentioned in my last post). They walked up to the right then over to a spot directly in front of us. I was dumbfounded. I spent enough time on night ranges with tracers to know bullets ricochet and go EVERYWHERE. The old guy shooting about 75 yards to my left was either bump-firing or had a  fully automatic AK and was putting a lot of rounds down range while that guy was up there. I made my son stop while we waited for him to get his dumb ass back down the hill.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever open range I know of has  been shut down due to IDIOTS WITH GUNS!!!
its pure luck that no one, I know of, has been shot and killed.
I know of open ranges out of state that are like HEAVEN and very few people there, even on Saturdays, and no trash!
And ill never give up their location ...at least not online!

Those crazy phucks with guns, trashing our ranges, putting our 2A in jeopardy .....aren't the ones that fight for our freedoms.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
When we used to go to Kentucky Canyon shooting area (an open shooting area in the National Forest), we used to take rakes and trash bags and clean up our spot before and after we shot.  It made no difference.  

The area was eventually closed to all shooting because of the abuses by so many inconsiderate people.  Washers, refrigerators, shot shell hulls, brass,.... were everywhere.

People were shooting at our targets (water jugs).  Get this - people were shooting at our targets while our guys were still down range setting up those same targets!

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, you were on the East side which can be a totally different story. The West side is the one that most use and trash.

The BLM used to have a map that showed most of the West side as shotgun only. Even Hodge fell into it or just on the edge. Basically from Hwy 58 south and from the 15 to the 395 fell into the covered area.
View Quote

I'm on the west side of the highway but I'm facing south. You have to cut off Hodge and drive maybe 300-400 yards south to get to these positions. They're never very crowded so you might not notice them if you're not looking. The area that's the biggest mess faces north with the radio tower on the hill.

I've never gone over to the east side of the highway. There's usually a lot of campers and ATV's over there so figured it was mostly used for riding.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When we used to go to Kentucky Canyon shooting area (an open shooting area in the National Forest), we used to take rakes and trash bags and clean up our spot before and after we shot.  It made no difference.  

The area was eventually closed to all shooting because of the abuses by so many inconsiderate people.  Washers, refrigerators, shot shell hulls, brass,.... were everywhere.

People were shooting at our targets (water jugs).  Get this - people were shooting at our targets while our guys were still down range setting up those same targets!

View Quote

I watched a video last year of some guy on BLM land making a video for his YouTube channel. While he was down at his target doing his review (I don't remember what it was about, a Glock I think) some idiot started shooting at his target from up on the road. You could hear the rounds hitting around him. He chased down and confronted the shooter. IIRC the guy didn't even pull into the shooting area, he was taking potshots from the road and couldn't see anything around the target. Idiots. We're surrounded by idiots.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top