Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2016 11:46:21 PM EDT
On a work trip, staying in San Bernardino until next friday.  Got nothing scheduled for the weekend and considering picking up a rental car.  This is my first trip west of Indiana so I have no clue what to do or go see or whatever.  I don't really care too much about seeing all the touristy stuff in Hollywood.  I thought about hitting the beach but it wouldn't be the same without the wife with me.  

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:43:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 3:05:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Palm Springs/Mt San Jacinto aerial tram

Temecula wine tasting

Nixon Library

Drive Angeles Crest Hwy (Hwy 2) or Rim of the World/Big Bear

Manhattan/Hermosa Beach
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, here until early the 19th. I'll look into that range when I get the chance

ETA just found out saturday is my only day off
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're 90 minutes away from the entertainment capital of the planet.
View Quote

Vegas is more like 3.5 hours.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought about hitting the beach but it wouldn't be the same without the wife with me.  

Any suggestions?
View Quote

You're right it's not the same, you will be able to gawk as you like without wife complaining.

Seriously though, what interests you?

Hollywood is interesting because it is so small and dirty and full of immigrants. Probably the exact opposite of what people imagine. No movie stars, just broken dreams and freaks.

The beaches are beautiful if you are not used to them.  

Joshua Tree is not far but it will be HOT.  Same for Palm Springs.  If you do head to jtree you can drive another 45 minutes and visit the Patton tank museum.  That's a lot of desert though.

the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is nice, and the Iowa is close by.  Those will make for a day.

The March Air Reserve Base has a nice museum.  In Chino the Planes Of Fame museum is really nice.   Good one in Palm Springs too.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're 90 minutes away from the entertainment capital of the planet.

No offense to the OP, but being an out of stater  - more like 6 hours away.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm here with 11 coworkers sharing two vans, and I was one of the two given keys to the rentals, so I'm kind of at the mercy of what everyone else wants to do.  Yesterday we went to Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach.  Today I think will be laundry, and I need to do a little shopping, so I most likely won't be doing anything else today.  Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I wish I could have made it to the USS Iowa, or been able to do some shooting but it just didn't work out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, so here's a question.

We're wanting to go up one of the mountains and stop somewhere that we can get a good view of the San Bernardino Valley.  Any suggestions as to where we could stop?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Hahaha venice?  That's one of the craziest parts of CA.  SF is another, but different.

If you didn't know, Santa Monica was the end of Rte. 66.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, Crestline.

Or one of the many lookout points.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you a Tombstone fan?

https://lancastergraveyardrabbit.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/the-earp-brothers-and-colton-california/

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yes, Crestline.

View Quote

That's perfect.  Looks like I take a right out of my hotel and it'll take me straight there.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's perfect.  Looks like I take a right out of my hotel and it'll take me straight there.  Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, Crestline.

Rim of the World drive - as I suggested in my previous post.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You're here until the 19th?

If so and I'm not busy, range trip to Angeles might be in order. Look up Angeles Shooting Ranges, you can take the 210 west to get there.

It will take a little over an hour from where you are. I won't know until Thursday or Friday which day I can make it. Either Sat or Sun, I'll see if anyone else wants to go. If any other arfcom members want to come out, keep an eye on the thread.

If you plan on going to the beach, go down to Santa Monica. Take a stroll down the boardwalk, plenty to see and do.
View Quote

Why Angeles, when Lytle Creek is IN San Bernardino ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Angelus has steel out to 600 and a decently stocked reloading store.  If that is important, then it may be worth the drive.

It was a nice range and the people there were nice, but it is quite a drive for me. I have been there once.

Lytle Creek is a GREAT range run by very nice people.  The ROs are friendly and helpful, the opposite of the traditional a-hole type.  I go there more than everywhere else combined.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top