Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2016 1:20:10 AM EDT
Anybody else a member?

I just joined and took my son there today. I was impressed. The rangemasters were extremely friendly and helpful. The main range is in great shape and well maintained. We're heading back tomorrow. It's only 20 minutes from my house and a heck of a lot safer than being surrounded by yahoos on BLM land.

Any members here who can chime in about the overall atmosphere of the club? They seem to have a lot of great programs. NRA affiliated and member owned. With its proximity to my house would like to submit an application for Full Membership. I'd appreciate any insights or advice.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been a temporary or limited member for about a year.

I usually go on Friday mornings and have never experienced more than a handful of other shooters.

Range staff is always pleasant.

Not sure if I will join full time just because I don't think I would use it enough to benefit.

Overall, I like the range and the price is very reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Go talk to them about signing up to be a petition signing location.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to know four members and wanted to sign up, but I couldn't afford it (and it costs even more now than back then).  I've lost track of three of those people, unfortunately, and the other is no longer a member (as you know, it takes recommendations from three members to be able to get in).  Now that I will likely be able to afford it soon, I don't know enough people to get in.  

I used to go with the people mentioned above and it was very nice.  I remember we were almost always the only people shooting in the members-only area, didn't have to deal with a rangemaster, had all sorts of bays suited for tactical shooting, and could shoot out to 600 yards and drive out to the targets to change them out to make things easier.  We also had more liberty with targets we could use and IIRC, there were metal silhouette targets at longer ranges on a hill.  The members also had a key, so we could also go when the place wasn't open to the public.  Very nice and very well maintained; members do a good job policing themselves in the members-only area.  Occasionally the river can be too high and cut off access, though.  

If I could get a membership there, that's where I'd go.  Lytle Creek is the next best range out here these days, IMO, as far as facilities and staff go.  Burro Canyon has gone downhill, IMO, and San Gabriel is closed (which means more people go to the former than used to when I first started shooting there).  Never been to Angeles, although it sounds too uptight for me.  Raahauges is by my workplace, but it is too expensive.  I've only been there once.  I did see someone shooting a FA M1919 there, though.  If you're going to go out to the desert ranges, you might as well just go shooting in the desert itself rather than be stuck at the range.  Everything else I know about is indoors, pretty much just handguns or low-power carbines only, or is a shotgun-only range (like Whittier-Narrows or Prado).
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to know four members and wanted to sign up, but I couldn't afford it (and it costs even more now than back then).  I've lost track of three of those people, unfortunately, and the other is no longer a member (as you know, it takes recommendations from three members to be able to get in).  Now that I will likely be able to afford it soon, I don't know enough people to get in.  

I used to go with the people mentioned above and it was very nice.  I remember we were almost always the only people shooting in the members-only area, didn't have to deal with a rangemaster, had all sorts of bays suited for tactical shooting, and could shoot out to 600 yards and drive out to the targets to change them out to make things easier.  We also had more liberty with targets we could use and IIRC, there were metal silhouette targets at longer ranges on a hill.  The members also had a key, so we could also go when the place wasn't open to the public.  Very nice and very well maintained; members do a good job policing themselves in the members-only area.  Occasionally the river can be too high and cut off access, though.  

If I could get a membership there, that's where I'd go.  Lytle Creek is the next best range out here these days, IMO, as far as facilities and staff go.  Burro Canyon has gone downhill, IMO, and San Gabriel is closed (which means more people go to the former than used to when I first started shooting there).  Never been to Angeles, although it sounds too uptight for me.  Raahauges is by my workplace, but it is too expensive.  I've only been there once.  I did see someone shooting a FA M1919 there, though.  If you're going to go out to the desert ranges, you might as well just go shooting in the desert itself rather than be stuck at the range.  Everything else I know about is indoors, pretty much just handguns or low-power carbines only, or is a shotgun-only range (like Whittier-Narrows or Prado).
View Quote

I don't think getting signatures is too hard. I asked the rangemaster and he said he'd sign if I brought it in. Their website also recommends going to a monthly meeting and/or asking staff for help with signatures. I get the impression it's just a matter of "don't act like an idiot" and they'll help.

You don't need signatures to get put on the waiting list. Mail in the application and they'll put you on the list and send it back so you have time to get it signed. They won't pick names until next February or March so there's still plenty of time to meet people at the range or at a monthly meeting. That's my plan - I'll get on the list and between now and next February hope to have a better feel for the club. If I get picked next year will either join, or if it's not what I expected can just say no and stick with my Limited membership.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#5]
In got the impression that the signatures wouldn't be a problem, too.

Over the last year I have not seen water in the creek passing area.

I'll be out there this Friday around 11:30 as long as the weather, aka wind, is ok. If anyone wants to meet up and shoot just PM me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In got the impression that the signatures wouldn't be a problem, too.

Over the last year I have not seen water in the creek passing area.

I'll be out there this Friday around 11:30 as long as the weather, aka wind, is ok. If anyone wants to meet up and shoot just PM me.
View Quote

Look up HIT Tactical shop on Central Ave.  A lot of the guys there are members and I got 3 of my signatures there.  

Best club I've ever belonged to in the 5 states I've lived.  Having your own bay where you can draw from the holster and shoot on the move is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been going to West End as a guest of my wife's uncle for a few years now (he's a full member and has keys to the gates).
Now that I have a vehicle that is capable of getting there without getting stuck (I wouldn't trust my old crapbox Hyundai to get across the creek bed!) , I'm thinking about getting a limited membership.
When I go shooting alone, I usually go all the way up to the Lytle Creek Firing Line (which is a nice range in it's own right), but, it sure would be nice not having to drive the extra 10 miles!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Was out at the range for a few hours today.  Busier than usual.  Met a couple of nice groups and we all had a good time shooting a variety of rifles and handguns.  It was an enjoyable day.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to shoot rifle matches there back in the day. Very clean and well set up range. I need to. Get back into competitive sbooting again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Any word on the Lytle Creek range?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sounds like the Blue Cut fire didn't burn the place down but came very close.
View Quote
The town of Lytle Creek is about 20 mins north WEGC. Lytle Creek didn't burn so the range was fairly safe. The winds were blowing mostly north to north/east. I was supposed to shoot a 3gun today, but the CHP closed down Sierra. I am wiping a small tear from my eye just thinking about it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is an image from inciweb

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
If that yellow area is burn, I don't believe it to be correct.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand it to be burn.

What about it is incorrect?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
37,020 acres as of 3 hours ago, still active.

Blue Cut Fire

Quoting the link above,

The Cause of the Fire is under investigation, however investigators need your help to determine the fire cause. If you seen anything, heard anything have photos or videos, please call We Tip 1-800-47-ARSON or submit your tip online at: http://wetip.com/

The fire is currently 37,020 acres, 89% containment with 1,223 personnel assigned to the fire. 102 engines, 34 crews, 14 dozers, 9 water tenders, and 9 Helicopters.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:07:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I understand it to be burn.

What about it is incorrect?
View Quote
That's a picture of the Lytle Creek range, which is 30 min north of the WEGC range. I thought we were talking about how close the fire came to WEGC.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Well in retrospect, the thread subject was indeed WEGC.  but I was responding to a post asking if the LC range burned.  So if you ignore the threadjacking, then yes my picture is of the wrong range.  D'oh!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:13:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well in retrospect, the thread subject was indeed WEGC.  but I was responding to a post asking if the LC range burned.  So if you ignore the threadjacking, then yes my picture is of the wrong range.  D'oh!
View Quote
I see the question about the LC range now. No prob. The fire did come close to LC and it's range, that's for sure.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#20]
LC is open for business BTW.  Was going to go today but work got in the way.

I'll just be there Saturday with everybody else.  Oh well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top