Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2016 10:26:21 AM EDT
       If you are moving to CA and have find not on the DOJ list are they verboten to bring into the state and register?  Also is registration stil required for military personnel on PCS orders who have out of state residency/license?

Trying to start planning now to figure out how much of my collection needs to be moved back to PA if my orders don't change.
 Gun related questions somewhat answered now...will probably come up with a few more in the weeks to come.

<ETA> Well it's official.  I'm going to be in Sacramento for the next few years.  I'll be working near the Cal State University Campus.  Where are the good places to live, where are the bad places to live?  Which is the primary airport in the area?  Hows the rental housing market there?  How's the buying market there?

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
...so gen 4 Glocks or guns that have "not for sale in ca" on the case for the model number (range officer compact) are fine?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It should also be noted that there is a grace period to register where in you have within 60 days to register the firearms you bring into the state, Assault weapons have NO grace period and must be brought into the state in a compliant configuration.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

ETA: This link also points out some of the potential problem areas that non-residents and those unfamiliar with our laws may not be aware of.

http://www.gunlaw.com/gun-law-articles/6-importing-firearms-into-california.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It should also be noted that there is a grace period to register where in you have within 60 days to register the firearms you bring into the state, Assault weapons have NO grace period and must be brought into the state in a compliant configuration.

ETA: This link also points out some of the potential problem areas that non-residents and those unfamiliar with our laws may not be aware of.

http://www.gunlaw.com/gun-law-articles/6-importing-firearms-into-california.html
View Quote

Thanks for those links.  The 2nd one really cleared a few things up for me.  Looks like my P320 will either need a new barrel or I'll just buy a caliber exchange kit for it since it has a threaded barrel.

With AR's if I throw a mag lock on and use 10rd mags is that still kosher or did the new laws mess that all up too?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for those links.  The 2nd one really cleared a few things up for me.  Looks like my P320 will either need a new barrel or I'll just buy a caliber exchange kit for it since it has a threaded barrel.

With AR's if I throw a mag lock on and use 10rd mags is that still kosher or did the new laws mess that all up too?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the threaded barrel, using epoxy to attach a thread protector SHOULD be enough. This is how the Walther P22 addressed it's threaded barrel and sleeve design - then again government agencies in the past have said a method for gun X is kosher but is not kosher for gun Y. You could also just take a file and spend 20 minutes filing the threads down. A completely FUBAR solution, but might be better than spending the coin on a new barrel. Also, California doesn't have constructive intent rules in regards to assault weapons. So worst case scenario you can just pull the barrel out of the gun while it's in the state if you can't find a replacement barrel before you make the big move.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
As for semi-auto rifles, such as your ARs, about 99% of the current mag locks on the market became illegal earlier this year. They are still legal until the law goes into effect on January 1, but after that they are NOT a legal solution. Assault weapon registration, which is usually closed, will open because of these new laws. So IF you have the rifle in the state before January 1, you can register it and then no mag lock should be required (the implementation of these laws has not been publicly stated so it's not set in stone yet, that is just my current understanding of how it will pan out). The other option is use one of the mag lock options that will still be legal (Bullet Button Reloaded as an example) or to go featureless (Monsterman grip as an example). Like with the pistol, there isn't constructive intent in regards to assault rifles so you can always bring your uppers and lowers in separated until you get them registered or get them configured appropriately. If you're overly concerned about the legality of owning a complete lower with no mag lock, a rimfire upper can be installed on an AR lower with no mag lock and it is a legal configuration even if you also own a centerfire upper.

Low post count forced me to split my response into two posts. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...so gen 4 Glocks or guns that have "not for sale in ca" on the case for the model number (range officer compact) are fine?
View Quote

Yes. It just means you can't buy a new one from an FFL once you're a resident. I moved here with a Gen4.

It is legal to buy a Gen4 in a private a party sale which means you're buying used from a LEO or from someone like me who moved into the state with one. That's an expensive proposition as used Gen4's sell for up to $1,000 here. Supply and demand. Or you could maybe pick up a couple of extras before moving here and make a profit....

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes. It just means you can't buy a new one from an FFL once you're a resident. I moved here with a Gen4.

It is legal to buy a Gen4 in a private a party sale which means you're buying used from a LEO or from someone like me who moved into the state with one. That's an expensive proposition as used Gen4's sell for up to $1,000 here. Supply and demand. Or you could maybe pick up a couple of extras before moving here and make a profit....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap you're kidding right?!?!?!  

Kinda glad I grabbed another G19.4 today.....of course I also found out I might be going to WA, ID or AK today.  Won't know for sure for a few more weeks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#10]
High probability I'm going to be in CA now.

So can I send in the registration stuff with my orders without having an address in CA yet?  Gonna be cutting it close to that 1JAN deadline.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got off the phone with someone from the DOJ.  I'm both happy and more confused than before.  Here's the gist

Military personnel on PCS orders who are not CA residents, and do not intend to become one, are not required to register firearms with the DOJ.

Firearms must be compliant....unless you live on base and the firearms stay on base...same go for high cap mags. Of course you cannot carry them with you into the state, but you can ship them to yourself on base and you are fine.

Contact the local sheriff's department for further info if military personnel have any additional requirements for firearms registration.

.....seriously WTF???  Couldn't be any more confusing.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with someone from the DOJ.  I'm both happy and more confused than before.  Here's the gist

Military personnel on PCS orders who are not CA residents, and do not intend to become one, are not required to register firearms with the DOJ.

Firearms must be compliant....unless you live on base and the firearms stay on base...same go for high cap mags. Of course you cannot carry them with you into the state, but you can ship them to yourself on base and you are fine.

Contact the local sheriff's department for further info if military personnel have any additional requirements for firearms registration.

View Quote

Edit: Sac air port. Its about 15 minutes from Down town. Good places up high way 80 or 50. 30-45 minute drive times.

Welcome. Lots of places to live and shoot out of Sacramento. Depending on your price point for living and driving time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Primary airport is Sacramento International. It's a pretty nice airport.

The housing market sucks but that's just how CA is. If you are willing to drive a bit there is cheaper housing up Highway 50 in El Dorado County. Also a better Sheriff department if you want CCW. Renting is pricey in Sac but not terrible by CA standards. Again you'll get better prices up Highway 50 a bit.

Avoid living in the city unless you really like cities. It's worth the commute to live up where the people aren't so packed together. Most places in Sac County are either too expensive or shitty/ghetto-lite. Avoid the infill areas like Rancho Cordova, they are getting bad. Folsom is still pretty nice, and a bit farther out Cameron Park is nice and much cheaper than Sac. El Dorado Hills is very nice, but a little pricier than other places in El Dorado County. It might be worth a look to rent there if you have the funds and want a nicer town to live in.

Sacramento is the worst place in the US for human trafficking, just as one example. Crime in the county has been getting worse lately and the homeless problem is really causing issues. Get a permit asap.

Bring all the off-roster handguns you can. Any small concealable semi-autos will sell like hotcakes since they are pretty much all gone from the CA roster besides the S&W Shield. You can get stupid money for Glock 43.

If you happen to bring along a kel-tec p-32 in decent condition I'd buy it in a heartbeat at $100 over msrp.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
The CA DOJ is notoriously useless. There should only extra paperwork if you want to bring assault weapon in. Mil people on orders living temporarily in CA can get a sort of temp AW permit. It's probably easier to just slap a bullet button on the gun, and register it in 2017 when they re-open the assault weapon registry. Then you can restore it to normal mag use once it's registered. If you're not planning on staying in CA forever the downsides of AW registration won't really effect you.

If you plan to shoot anything I'd just register it. It's one form for all the guns. You just need to do it within 60 days of moving to the state. You can find the form here: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top