BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2016 6:53:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What I want to know is if the ARs that can still be bought until 12-31-16 will be able to have detachable 10 round mags since BB are outlawed after that time.  SB23 from 1-1-2000 said no more registered AWs after that deadline to register was up.  I would hate to buy a couple lowers that can't be configured with detachable mags.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
the safe act went into effect immediately but the California act let's you keep buying rifles until some deadline?
View Quote

We have till 12/31/2016 to buy BB rifles, then we have till 12/31/2017 (?) to register them. All CA laws take effect January 1 of the next year unless specifically written into the bill as a different date. Next year we can still buy:

-Featureless rifles
  -Bullet Button Version 2 rifles
  -22 rifles on an AR lower

By registering though we should be able to have rifles in normal configuration. Bullet Button free. But they will be registered, and we have to have our paper work for them, and follow AW transportation laws and and more BS I'm sure I'm forgetting...
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't do any of it. Why should WE pay $35 to have our guns registered for these stupid liberals? They can go kill themselves.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't do any of it. Why should WE pay $35 to have our guns registered for these stupid liberals? They can go kill themselves.
View Quote

Because prison and felonies suck?
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

By registering though we should be able to have rifles in normal configuration.  Bullet Button free.  

View Quote

So, just to be sure, if we chose to register them, can we configure them as normal AR-15's with normal detachable mags (regular mag release), flash hiders, pistol grips, collapsible (adjustable) stocks and can we then use our pre-existing high cap mags in them?

Edited to delete the high cap magazine issue from the question.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So, just to be sure, if we chose to register them, can we configure them as normal AR-15's with normal detachable mags (regular mag release), flash hiders, pistol grips, collapsible (adjustable) stocks and can we then use our pre-existing high cap mags in them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By registering though we should be able to have rifles in normal configuration.  Bullet Button free.  

With SB 1446 signed it basically bans all legally owned magazines with greater capacity of 10 rnds. Unless you are LEO or under the exemption, we are f'd on our legally on property.  Govt confiscation is Bullsh@t!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the safe act went into effect immediately but the California act let's you keep buying rifles until some deadline?
View Quote

I just bought this LMT complete lower yesterday.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-547-lmt-defender-lower-with-sopmod-stock-and-standard-trigger.aspx
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will get different opinions on that issue. My opinion is a RAW is a RAW and you can't make a RAW more of a RAW by changing a feature. it either is or it is not.

So based on that. Ill register a few and once i have the registration n proof back from DOJ they will have standard magazine releases.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You will get different opinions on that issue. My opinion is a RAW is a RAW and you can't make a RAW more of a RAW by changing a feature. it either is or it is not.

So based on that. Ill register a few and once i have the registration n proof back from DOJ they will have standard magazine releases.
View Quote

This thread is the first I've heard of a requirement/option to register a rifle as an assault weapon, hence the questions.

This actually sounds like a small benefit to participation in competitive shooting - conventional reloading technique.  

One option for dealing with this for self defense purposes is to gang together some 10 rounders and use a standard mag release to facilitate switching.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This thread is the first I've heard of a requirement/option to register a rifle as an assault weapon, hence the questions.

This actually sounds like a small benefit to participation in competitive shooting - conventional reloading technique.  

One option for dealing with this for self defense purposes is to gang together some 10 rounders and use a standard mag release to facilitate switching.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read the signed bills.  There's so much bs floating around. You must possess before 1 Jan 2017 and then register before 1 Jan 2018. Registration going to be online.

IANAL but my view is there going to be a few options to stay legal:

Register as AW install standard mag release and any and all other evil features. Give up being able for heirs to inherit in California.

Dissassemble and retain as a stripped lower or retain stripped lowers that were never assembled without registering.

New BB Reloaded without registering.

Featureless and keep standard mag release without registering.

Remove from state.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]
It's time to buy and since it's only a state level panic prices haven't spiked yet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Turning in your high caps makes about as much sense as swearing you will never break the speed limit again. The violation for both are simple infractions, the speeding ticket costs more.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I need to buy some 10 round AR mags I guess.  Who makes quality ones?
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I need to buy some 10 round AR mags I guess.  Who makes quality ones?
View Quote

Lancer and magpul.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Having a 10+ mag is a noncriminal violation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Turning in your high caps makes about as much sense as swearing you will never break the speed limit again. The violation for both are simple infractions, the speeding ticket costs more.

According to the bill it's going to be an infraction. $100 fine first time. $250 second time. $500 3rd and beyond. I'm sure you will have to surrender the mags you're caught with.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Oh who the fuck cares about that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the bill it's going to be an infraction. $100 fine first time. $250 second time. $500 3rd and beyond. I'm sure you will have to surrender the mags you're caught with.

Exactly. And as an infraction, there's no DA and no  jury trial. The case is "prosecuted" by the arresting officer in a bench trial, just like a traffic ticket. With the exception of motorcycle cops most the officer  no show resulting in dismissal on those infractions. Especially because they are tried in traffic court after all the traffic cases are finished.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Went into Turner's the other day. They haven't taken the AR's down and the place was packed.

So yeah they're still buying.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Exactly. And as an infraction, there's no DA and no  jury trial. The case is "prosecuted" by the arresting officer in a bench trial, just like a traffic ticket. With the exception of motorcycle cops most the officer  no show resulting in dismissal on those infractions. Especially because they are tried in traffic court after all the traffic cases are finished.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how California will avoid jury nullification and a huge back-log of pending prosecutions. As a citizen you have very few rights in a civil procedure. Criminals have access to a trial by their peers, that's why this law was written in this fashion.

Michigan cities have "code compliance officers" that comb neighborhoods looking for damaged shingles and peeling paint and they write tickets. The fine imposed is not allowed to be challenged with a jury trial. Many times they are willing to negotiate a reduced fine if you fix the issue immediately. Challenging the ticket virtually guarantees a $230.00 fine.

This is a work around by the government to impose restrictions or command compliance without the headache and expense of actually prosecuting a person.

Every year Governors and Mayors have national conventions where they share new ideas on how to force their citizens into "shaping up" for the good of the community. While this may allow them to force compliance on minor annoyances and reduce blight, it runs roughshod over individual liberty.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#23]
What's with any pre ban weapons? What to know?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wut? No such thing in Cali. Do you mean RAWs?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#25]
What is a "new bullet button"?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is how California will avoid jury nullification and a huge back-log of pending prosecutions. As a citizen you have very few rights in a civil procedure. Criminals have access to a trial by their peers, that's why this law was written in this fashion.

Michigan cities have "code compliance officers" that comb neighborhoods looking for damaged shingles and peeling paint and they write tickets. The fine imposed is not allowed to be challenged with a jury trial. Many times they are willing to negotiate a reduced fine if you fix the issue immediately. Challenging the ticket virtually guarantees a $230.00 fine.

This is a work around by the government to impose restrictions or command compliance without the headache and expense of actually prosecuting a person.

Every year Governors and Mayors have national conventions where they share new ideas on how to force their citizens into "shaping up" for the good of the community. While this may allow them to force compliance on minor annoyances and reduce blight, it runs roughshod over individual liberty.  

View Quote

It would suck for them if they arrested all the productive people in the state. so I guess making it a ticket makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if you own preban, any additional requirements?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm assuming that you mean already registered assault weapons.  Or do you mean ones that were not registered?  Because that is a very interesting question.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm assuming that you mean already registered assault weapons.  Or do you mean ones that were not registered?  Because that is a very interesting question.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The legislature wrote the law in a way that allow registration of even guns purchased prior to 1989 or 2001. The DOJ may try to stop that amnesty.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Registered DOJ first time 94?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody has any idea what you are talking about. The federal ban has nothing to do with the state laws. There's no such thing as preban in California.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#32]
California had a weapons registration sometime in the 90s as mine was registered by taking to the DOJ. I am not talking about the Clinton Fed ban
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
California had a weapons registration sometime in the 90s as mine was registered by taking to the DOJ. I am not talking about the Clinton Fed ban
View Quote

I can assure you your registered nothing in the 90s by talking to the DOJ. if you are referring to SB23 you registered by mail. A registered assault weapon won't need to be re registered.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I can assure you your registered nothing in the 90s by talking to the DOJ. if you are referring to SB23 you registered by mail. A registered assault weapon won't need to be re registered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your telling me something I did and the long line of subjects doing the same. Ok, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The original Roberti Roos ban, listed by name, there was a registration sometime in the early nineties.  I have no experience with that, at the time I was otherwise occupied.

12275.  This chapter shall be known as the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

12275.5.  (a) The Legislature hereby finds and declares that the
proliferation and use of assault weapons poses a threat to the health,
safety, and security of all citizens of this state.  The Legislature has
restricted the assault weapons specified in Section 12276 based upon
finding that each firearm has such a high rate of fire and capacity for
firepower that its function as a legitimate sports or recreational
firearm is substantially outweighed by the danger that it can be used to
kill and injure human beings.  It is the intent of the Legislature in
enacting this chapter to place restrictions on the use of assault
weapons and to establish a registration and permit procedure for their
lawful sale and possession.  It is not, however, the intent of the
Legislature by this chapter to place restrictions on the use of those
weapons which are primarily designed and intended for hunting, target
practice, or other legitimate sports or recreational activities.

SB23 was the 2000 registration by features..

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That's my impression but I ain't a California lawyer
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What I want to know is if the ARs that can still be bought until 12-31-16 will be able to have detachable 10 round mags since BB are outlawed after that time.  SB23 from 1-1-2000 said no more registered AWs after that deadline to register was up.  I would hate to buy a couple lowers that can't be configured with detachable mags.
That's my impression but I ain't a California lawyer
This is the underlying question. Are they creating a new type of AW, which requires the older BB or do they become part of the older 1-1-2000 AWs, which conflicts with existing law

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The original Roberti Roos ban, listed by name, there was a registration sometime in the early nineties.  I have no experience with that, at the time I was otherwise occupied.

12275.  This chapter shall be known as the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

12275.5.  (a) The Legislature hereby finds and declares that the proliferation and use of assault weapons poses a threat to the health, safety, and security of all citizens of this state.  The Legislature has restricted the assault weapons specified in Section 12276 based upon finding that each firearm has such a high rate of fire and capacity for firepower that its function as a legitimate sports or recreational firearm is substantially outweighed by the danger that it can be used to kill and injure human beings.  It is the intent of the Legislature in enacting this chapter to place restrictions on the use of assault weapons and to establish a registration and permit procedure for their lawful sale and possession.  It is not, however, the intent of the Legislature by this chapter to place restrictions on the use of those weapons which are primarily designed and intended for hunting, target practice, or other legitimate sports or recreational activities.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

12275.5.  (a) The Legislature hereby finds and declares that the proliferation and use of assault weapons poses a threat to the health, safety, and security of all citizens of this state.  The Legislature has restricted the assault weapons specified in Section 12276 based upon finding that each firearm has such a high rate of fire and capacity for firepower that its function as a legitimate sports or recreational firearm is substantially outweighed by the danger that it can be used to kill and injure human beings.  It is the intent of the Legislature in enacting this chapter to place restrictions on the use of assault weapons and to establish a registration and permit procedure for their lawful sale and possession.  It is not, however, the intent of the Legislature by this chapter to place restrictions on the use of those weapons which are primarily designed and intended for hunting, target practice, or other legitimate sports or recreational activities.

Thank you Operatorerror.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just a head up. We are now setup to install a BB on any AR ordered to be shipped to CA. Will will sub a 10 round Mag. No charge just order and we will pick up the CA address and add the BB. We have a Mfg FFL to legally do this.
View Quote

Thanks for supporting us here behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just a head up. We are now setup to install a BB on any AR ordered to be shipped to CA. Will will sub a 10 round Mag. No charge just order and we will pick up the CA address and add the BB. We have a Mfg FFL to legally do this.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was impressed and showed my kids the ad on my phone

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#44]
I have questions concerning a possible sale to a CA resident.

I have been approached by numerous CA guys about purchasing a AR-10 that I have for sale in the EE.
I've told them sorry but it's not a CA compliant firearm and that was the end of it.

I've had a recent contact that wants me to ship the upper to his address in CA and the lower to a FFL in NV for modification into a compliant lower.
The AR has a fixed stock, 18" barrel with BattleComp muzzle device, pistol grip and no bullet button.

Question 1:  Can I legally ship the upper with the BattleComp to him in CA?
Question 2:  Is it legal, It seems logical that it would be, for me to ship the lower to a FFL in NV so they can make it CA compliant and then they can make the transfer to the buyer's FFL in CA?
Question 3:  The sale includes 2 - 10 rd mags.  Is this legal as well?

I'd really like to see some serious responses to this as I'd like to sell this rifle.
I also hate that you CA guys have to go through all this BS.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Did you stay in a Holiday Inn recently?

The Turner's weekly ad features two AR's as the first two firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:That's my impression but I ain't a California lawyer

Did you stay in a Holiday Inn recently?

The Turner's weekly ad features two AR's as the first two firearms.

I saw they say banned in 2017

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have been approached by numerous CA guys about purchasing a AR-10 that I have for sale in the EE.
I've told them sorry but it's not a CA compliant firearm and that was the end of it.

I've had a recent contact that wants me to ship the upper to his address in CA and the lower to a FFL in NV for modification into a compliant lower.
The AR has a fixed stock, 18" barrel with BattleComp muzzle device, pistol grip and no bullet button.

Question 1:  Can I legally ship the upper with the BattleComp to him in CA? Perfectly Legal
Question 2:  Is it legal, It seems logical that it would be, for me to ship the lower to a FFL in NV so they can make it CA compliant and then they can make the transfer to the buyer's FFL in CA? Also legal, there are a few NV and AZ vendors that do this for CA on the regular.
Question 3:  The sale includes 2 - 10 rd mags.  Is this legal as well? 10 rounders are still legal, if you were including mags over 10 rounds and wanted to include them in the sale you could ask the NV FFL if they would restrict them to 10 rounds at the buyers expense.

I'd really like to see some serious responses to this as I'd like to sell this rifle.
View Quote

Thanks for making the effort to help us out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Question 1:  Can I legally ship the upper with the BattleComp to him in CA?
Question 2:  Is it legal, It seems logical that it would be, for me to ship the lower to a FFL in NV so they can make it CA compliant and then they can make the transfer to the buyer's FFL in CA?
Question 3:  The sale includes 2 - 10 rd mags.  Is this legal as well?

View Quote

The upper can go directly to him. There are no restrictions on it.  

Sounds ok for the lower as long as a FFL in CA transfers it to him. You don't mention what brand of lower. If it is an actual armalite AR10 then it is banned by name and a no go in CA. There are others also banned by name.

10 rd mags are legal.

Dang, I type too slow.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#48]
It's an LMT lower.  Is that on the list?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's an LMT lower.  Is that on the list?
View Quote

LMT is gtg.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks guys for all your help
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top