Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2016 7:07:35 PM EDT
Hey Guys, I am looking at putting together a 6 pack charter out of San Diego in a couple months. We are all residents of Az and will need a day license to fish the coastal waters. Is it as simple as walking in to a Wal Mart and getting one from the sporting goods counter? Would we be better off buying one online? I know they sell them at the landing, but don't want to risk not being able to get one at 5am when the boat is ready to leave.

TIA

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of state resident is expensive, I would get it online just to make sure:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Fishing
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#2]
They do offer the one day at $15.12 and the 2 day for $23.50, both for residents and nonresidents. I was mostly wondering if it's as simple as filling out the little booklet at a Wal Mart or Big 5, or is it more involved. It's been a lot of years since I've fished the oceans off California, and I know things seem to change a lot.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They do offer the one day at $15.12 and the 2 day for $23.50, both for residents and nonresidents. I was mostly wondering if it's as simple as filling out the little booklet at a Wal Mart or Big 5, or is it more involved. It's been a lot of years since I've fished the oceans off California, and I know things seem to change a lot.

View Quote

I buy my annual online, but it does take a couple weeks to ship. When I did buy the 1 or 2-day licenses there was no paperwork to fill out. Simply tell them what you need, provide your state-issued picture ID, and wait for it to print. If I were you I'd buy it in person at Wal-Mart or the landing. Don't worry about the buying them early in the morning at the landing, they'll still be able to issue licenses. Not sure if it's the same process for out-of-state licenses though. If anything, call the landing you're going out of and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool. I really appreciate the info guys. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If the charter you pick works with one of the sport boat "landings"  that sell tickets they also usually sell day licenses and mexican permits if you have a passport and want to fish south of the border.  

But most tackle shops and sporting goods stores sells fishing licenses.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the charter you pick works with one of the sport boat "landings"  that sell tickets they also usually sell day licenses and mexican permits if you have a passport and want to fish south of the border.  

But most tackle shops and sporting goods stores sells fishing licenses.
View Quote

This is a good point. If you think you may be fishing in Mexican waters you'll need your passport and you'll have to buy a special permit to go along with your license.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
No passport needed but the boats have mex. licences available. It's a per-boat license.

Be careful with your phones, can pick up roaming charges if you get close.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No passport needed but the boats have mex. licences available. It's a per-boat license.

View Quote

Why do you say no passport needed? When I went out of SD last summer we had to have our passports in case we fished Mexican waters. It says on the Fisherman's Landing website that some trips require you to bring your passport.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw that about fishing in Mexican waters. I'm thinking we will be bouncing north up the coastal kelp beds and reefs chasing Calicos and White Seabass, with a chance of coming across some schools of barracuda and bonita. Light gear goodness!

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why do you say no passport needed? When I went out of SD last summer we had to have our passports in case we fished Mexican waters. It says on the Fisherman's Landing website that some trips require you to bring your passport.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say it because when I went out of SD last fall they said not needed.  We were on the First String, overnight.

So I guess it depends in the trip.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I say it because when I went out of SD last fall they said not needed.  We were on the First String, overnight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, gotcha. Definitely depends on the trip. We ended up not needing them on our 1.5 day as we stayed in US waters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I checked Point Loma'a website, it says some trips in mex. waters require a passport.  It must depend upon how far down.  Given that the fish decide where the boats go, it would be best to have a passport.

Guess it's time to renew.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I saw that about fishing in Mexican waters. I'm thinking we will be bouncing north up the coastal kelp beds and reefs chasing Calicos and White Seabass, with a chance of coming across some schools of barracuda and bonita. Light gear goodness!
View Quote

You'll need a CA fishing license if that is the case.  CA has one day, two day, 10 day, and annual non-resident sport fishing licenses.  You can purchase online or at an agent.  I don't know if the Landings for the charter fleets are agents any longer.

If you fish in Mexican waters on 3/4 day boats, you're going to need your passport.  Mexico requires passports for all fishing within 12 miles of the coast and islands. Mexico also requires a tourist visa for fishing in terrorial waters.  You can get it at the Landings when you pay for your fishing trip.

Bring your passport any way.  You may want to fish the Coronado Islands.

If you are retired military, Camp Pendleton has some good fishing lakes and may still have their fishing charter boat for coastal fishing.  The boat is/was called Retreat Hell II when I was there.  If you have sailing certification, you can check out one of their Catalina sailboats and sail and fish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top