Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 11:52:43 AM EDT
Link

Where does the $.39 a gallon tax I pay go to now? Oh ya. the general fund. Fuck off Moonbeam.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've recently heard we pay $1.20 tax on gas, Doug Mcintyre show, but this article claims it's closer to $1. The link is also using $4/gal gas

http://watchdog.org/232083/california-gas-taxes/

To recap:

• 39 cents for excise tax

• 30-42 cents for sales tax

• 10 cents for cap and trade "fee”—tax on a tax

• 18.4 cents federal excise tax

View Quote

I also heard Gov Brown spent the money to fix the roads/freeways on horse trails and walking paths, so he needs more money for the roads/freeways

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Link

Where does the $.39 a gallon tax I pay go to now? Oh ya. the general fund. Fuck off Moonbeam.
View Quote

I give it 3 years before this money is repurposed for something like creating the "department of development of minority immigrant children's for college success."
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yay,

Another almost $400 a year out of my pocket right off the top.

Plus smog every two years AND the damn gas tax.

Then again I am surprised he isn't asking for A LOT more in the way of gas taxes. If prices stay down I bet he will ask for a crapload more then $.06 a gallon.

ETA: "Highway user fee"
HAHAHAHAHA, gimme a fucking break. Know how many additional "normal" (non HOV lanes) are in Caltrans 10 year plan?
None….. Not a single fucking one.
So another $400 a year out of my pocket so that people driving Teslas and carpooling can have more special lanes (that probably cost 2-3x what a regular lane would).

Of course this money will wind up making up the shortfall in MONORAIL!!! funding anyway, just like the rest of the money that is supposed to be used to maintain the roads.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Given I'm planning my escape in June, he can raise it till people are red in the face. They get the government they vote for. I know it fucks a lot of hard working honest people, but the more pain there is the more even liberals squirm.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I got to get out of this place...

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got to get out of this place...

View Quote

I haven't researched any escape plans but I have thought about it many a time...
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 6 cars/trucks, 2 street legal/plated dirtbikes and 2 5th wheel trailers...........

10 x $65 = $650 annual............

I'd prefer no additional taxes but I'd be more open to a $65 per licensed (permitted) driver fee since I can only drive one car at a time.  

I'd really prefer a top to bottom scrubbing of welfare expenses...........
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have 6 cars/trucks, 2 street legal/plated dirtbikes and 2 5th wheel trailers...........

I'd prefer no additional taxes but I'd be more open to a $65 per licensed (permitted) driver fee since I can only drive one car at a time.  

View Quote

Would pay $100/yr per vehicle to bypass smog testing.
But yeah, that will never happen.

I wonder how long it will be before they float a bill that pre 1995 vehicles can no longer be registered for street use in California.
I say 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wonder how long it will be before they float a bill that pre 1995 vehicles can no longer be registered for street use in California.
I say 5 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say 5 years.

They wouldn't do that, but add a fee based on the emissions of your car. Your 82 pollutes at 3x the current standard, thus your registration will be multiplied by 3x.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't worry, Obama is coming to the rescue!

https://mobile.twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/695341776001855490
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I say 5 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say 5 years.

I have no problem with a tailpipe emission test - it's the visual inspection that's ridiculous.

My newest car is a '00 - I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have no problem with a tailpipe emission test - it's the visual inspection that's ridiculous.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say 5 years.

Yup.

My car with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be an automatic fail on visual.   Same for the distributor.

Things that when properly set have zero effect on emissions.

My 95 Cobra just passed the bullshit smog requirements/sniffer.   The damn sensors were aging so new EGR, new CARB approved headers.   The old headers were fine but EGR tube was screwed, so 70 bucks for new EGRtube that whouldnt fit because you can no longer find factory old stock EGR tubes and the aftermarket one wasnt a perfect fit.   So CARB legal bbk's with a new egr tube went on l.  Also new O2 sensors.

After all that it passed.   Choked as hell but that can be fixed...    if my first set of cats are going bad I have to replace them with a CARB approved cat...   why?   Because fuck you we are CARB is why.    Easier to just put an off road pipe on the car...   as if a million owners of various performance cars are not already doing that.

CARB is a scam just as much as the handgun safety approval bill.   They use it at their whim for funding purposes and increasing their weight in politics.

Still pissed at them for the bullshit changes to gas cans as well.    My 3 jerry cans are all I have and likely all I ever will have.   And I will goddamn spill gasoline on the ground whenever I please.   Funny I spill less with Jerry Cans than I do with CARB bullshit cans.

Next up is my 2005 GT this year which I likely will have to dick with as well even though it is a simple PC hook up that takes 5 minutes tops.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Visual inspection?

You're going to the wrong place. Some shit-for-brains wanted to take the cross-strut bar off of my pristine Nissan 350Z. He's coming at my car, which is 11 years old and has less than 5000 miles on it with a monkey wrench. I say WTF? He says he needs to take off the bar that runs between the struts so he can peel my engine apart to look for modifications. I ask to see his certification as a Nissan factory mechanic and the calibration on his torque wrench. Told him to kiss my ass on the way out and drove down the block to the next place.

WTF.

The place I go to now gets me in-and-out in ten minutes. No wheel spinning any more.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I have no problem with a tailpipe emission test - it's the visual inspection that's ridiculous.

Visual inspection?

You're going to the wrong place. Some shit-for-brains wanted to take the cross-strut bar off of my pristine Nissan 350Z. He's coming at my car, which is 11 years old and has less than 5000 miles on it with a monkey wrench. I say WTF? He says he needs to take off the bar that runs between the struts so he can peel my engine apart to look for modifications. I ask to see his certification as a Nissan factory mechanic and the calibration on his torque wrench. Told him to kiss my ass on the way out and drove down the block to the next place.

WTF.

The place I go to now gets me in-and-out in ten minutes. No wheel spinning any more.  

My car are all enough that they require dyno tests and visual inspection for presence of required equipment - no OBDII port on '94, '85, '79 vehicles.

I just had to smog my '97 Civic - it went on the rollers and was done in ~15 min.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:15:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Visual inspection?

WTF.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I have no problem with a tailpipe emission test - it's the visual inspection that's ridiculous.

Visual inspection?

WTF.

When I moved here the Smog monkey gave me a hard time because I didn't have a front plate from the state I moved FROM. I told him I'm getting the Smog check to get my California plates but he just got confused.

Him - "You need a front plate.....".
Me - "No I don't"
Him - "How is that possible?"
Me - "This truck is registered in NH, not CA"
Him - "But you need a front plate"
Me - "So call the NH State Police. I'm sure they'll send someone right over"
Him - "But I'm not supposed to Smog you without a front plate"
Me - "How do people buying used cars get smogged? They can drive 90 days without a plate"
Him - "If there's no plates I can smog them"
Me - "Can I borrow a screwdriver?"
Him - "Nevermind"

Then he asked me to review him on Yelp.

(And yes, NH has front plates. My son wanted it so I took it off before getting smogged).
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

When I moved here the Smog monkey gave me a hard time because I didn't have a front plate from the state I moved FROM. I told him I'm getting the Smog check to get my California plates but he just got confused.

Me - "No I don't"
Me - "How do people buying used cars get smogged? They can drive 90 days without a plate"
Him - "Nevermind"

(And yes, NH has front plates. My son wanted it so I took it off before getting smogged).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Visual inspection?

WTF.

Me - "No I don't"
Him - "Nevermind"

Wow, I have never had my smog guy ever say anything about not having a front license plate.
I never run one.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#19]
OBDII came out in 1996, and after 20 years CARB is ready to admit that it works as designed and dropped the roller/sniffer bullshit test for 2000+ vehicles. Got a 1996-99, well you are SOL and still have to pay extra for the roller/sniffer even though you have OBDII. Gotta love CARB.

Oh and visual is a fucking joke too, if it passes it passes, but this way they get payed off first which is their number one goal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You voted for it too?

I haven't gotten the government I've voted for since the 1980's. Am I doing it wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:They get the government they vote for.

You voted for it too?

I haven't gotten the government I've voted for since the 1980's. Am I doing it wrong?

Same here...

FGB
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Better raising the fees and gas tax then having to pay per mile:
pay per mile
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

pay per mile
View Quote

Do you really believe they won't try and stick us with both?

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
pay per mile

When enough people go electric, this will be phase two.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:21:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Go ahead with pay per mile...

My 95 will be my daily driver and I will magically drive no more than 1500 miles per year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My 95 will be my daily driver and I will magically drive no more than 1500 miles per year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Old cars will be a dream if CARB gets its way with OBD3. Nothing like your property being constantly monitored by big gov.

WHAT IS OBD-III?
A program to minimize the delay between detection of an emissions malfunction by the OBD-II system and repair of the vehicle
Two basic elements:

• Read stored OBD-II information from in-use vehicles.

• Direct owners of vehicles with fault codes to make immediate repairs

ENFORCEMENT MECHANISMS

• Incorporate into biennial I/M program

• Read fault code to screen for vehicles that need complete testing

• Pass or short test for vehicles with no fault code

• Does not speed up repair process

• Out-of-cycle inspection

• Compile and screen data

• Mail notice to vehicle owner requiring out-of-cycle inspection within 10 days

• Require Certificate of Compliance (C of C) on next registration/resale, or

• Require C of C within 30-60 days, with citation for noncompliance

• Enforce citation via court and/or DMV penalty at next registration

• Roadside Pullover

• CHP flags down vehicles with fault codes

• Technician verifies problem by inspecting and/or testing vehicle

• Issuance of notice requiring out-of-cycle inspection

• Same enforcement (C of C /citation)

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Old cars will be a dream if CARB gets its way with OBD3. Nothing like your property being constantly monitored by big gov.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT IS OBD-III?

A program to minimize the delay between detection of an emissions malfunction by the OBD-II system and repair of the vehicle

Two basic elements:

• Read stored OBD-II information from in-use vehicles.

• Direct owners of vehicles with fault codes to make immediate repairs

ENFORCEMENT MECHANISMS

• Incorporate into biennial I/M program

• Read fault code to screen for vehicles that need complete testing

• Pass or short test for vehicles with no fault code

• Does not speed up repair process

• Out-of-cycle inspection

• Compile and screen data

• Mail notice to vehicle owner requiring out-of-cycle inspection within 10 days

• Require Certificate of Compliance (C of C) on next registration/resale, or

• Require C of C within 30-60 days, with citation for noncompliance

• Enforce citation via court and/or DMV penalty at next registration

• Roadside Pullover

• CHP flags down vehicles with fault codes

• Technician verifies problem by inspecting and/or testing vehicle

• Issuance of notice requiring out-of-cycle inspection

• Same enforcement (C of C /citation)

Fuck that shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top