Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2015 10:14:37 PM EDT
A friend of mine left some firearms in California with his friend when he moved out of that state.
What does his friend have to do to ship those firearms from Ca. to my friend here in Texas.
Sure would appreciate any insight y'all can share on this.
TIA, Ray
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never used this place but they exist: http://www.shipmygun.com/go/  

Otherwise I believe the shipment would be like a transaction, meaning a non-FFL can ship them to a receiving FFL in TX. Long guns can go through the mail but handguns would need to go by UPS or Fedex and only from a hub office.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend of mine left some firearms in California with his friend when he moved out of that state.
What does his friend have to do to ship those firearms from Ca. to my friend here in Texas.
Sure would appreciate any insight y'all can share on this.
TIA, Ray
Never used this place but they exist: http://www.shipmygun.com/go/  

Otherwise I believe the shipment would be like a transaction, meaning a non-FFL can ship them to a receiving FFL in TX. Long guns can go through the mail but handguns would need to go by UPS or Fedex and only from a hub office.

I wasn't sure if they would have to be sent FFL to FFL. Thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You know its funny.
If he really is the owner of the guns, he is basically sending them to himself at his new residence. Just like he would have his household furnishings sent. That is not an ownership change transaction.
If he was moving and boxed them up and sent them and then flew or drove to his new place - like that.
In this case, his friend (or family or whoever) is doing the boxing and sending to him, the owner.

Its like the issue of sending them somewhere for repair or modification, those places are often not FFL's. But UPS and FEDEX are often understandably perplexed at those situations. People sending Guns all over!!!

I do not know all the rules and I am one to be very careful about this stuff myself. California may have a law
If there is not clear ownership / receipts / registration etc.by the 'owner' then maybe there is more to this. Or if the friend who has stored them is, um, something less than 'sharp as a tack' you might want to inquire further.
You might want to go over to calguns.net and ask. That is very heavily trafficked compared to this particular HTF and there are a lot of people who know the laws.

Of course Paul here, will know too but he is older now and sleeps a lot .

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You know its funny.

If he really is the owner of the guns, he is basically sending them to himself at his new residence. Just like he would have his household furnishings sent. That is not an ownership change transaction.

If he was moving and boxed them up and sent them and then flew or drove to his new place - like that.

In this case, his friend (or family or whoever) is doing the boxing and sending to him, the owner.

Its like the issue of sending them somewhere for repair or modification, those places are often not FFL's. But UPS and FEDEX are often understandably perplexed at those situations. People sending Guns all over!!!

I do not know all the rules and I am one to be very careful about this stuff myself. California may have a law

If there is not clear ownership / receipts / registration etc.by the 'owner' then maybe there is more to this. Or if the friend who has stored them is, um, something less than 'sharp as a tack' you might want to inquire further.

You might want to go over to calguns.net and ask. That is very heavily trafficked compared to this particular HTF and there are a lot of people who know the laws.

Of course Paul here, will know too but he is older now and sleeps a lot .

View Quote

What you are saying makes sense since he is the owner

Another option is for the owner to drive out here, pick up firearms and drive back

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:23:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Friend's friend in CA (or any state) can't mail them directly to the friend/owner. That's Fed Law, if I'm not mistaken.
Friend/owner COULD however mail them to himself in another state. That's also Fed Law. Or to himself 'care of' at a different address.  That might be worth a round trip airplane flight to do.
Friend's friend's best and safest approach is to package and mail them as law requires to the FFL nearest the friend/owner's current home location. Letter / ownership docs inside, if any, incase of damage or lost in shipping. The FFL can receive them, the friend can retrieve them. Prearrange this with the FFL, let them know they are coming, paying them for their trouble.
Those are the legal gymnastics.
The Friend's friend could try to mail them direct, but the shippers in CA are pretty uninformed and phobic and will expect a valid FFL address for the To: address.

Depending how many firearms are involved, the best thing might be to fly back to CA rent a car and drive them home to TX.  Or fly back to CA and pay for a road trip with his friend and drive them back to TX.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top