Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2015 11:25:45 PM EDT
I'm starting a contract job for UTC in Riverside soon. Will be in the area for an extended stay.

Is it illegal for me to buy any gun from an individual? Hate to go months and not get anything new.

I'm bringing some guns with me. Not sure about bringing an AR. I could make one California legal.

Found a pistol and archery range in the neighborhood. Will plan on visiting both. Any to recommend?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm starting a contract job for UTC in Riverside soon. Will be in the area for an extended stay.

Is it illegal for me to buy any gun from an individual? Hate to go months and not get anything new.

I'm bringing some guns with me. Not sure about bringing an AR. I could make one California legal.

Found a pistol and archery range in the neighborhood. Will plan on visiting both. Any to recommend?

Thanks.
View Quote

I work a few miles down the road from you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
transfers need to go through dealers.

Bringing in existing ARs can be as easy as adding a bullet button and 10 round magazines, and making sure you don't have any of the other prohibited features,  or it can be even simpler, if it's on the banned by name list, you can't bring it in, period, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

The best bet would be to check out the stickies at the top and then see if you have more questions.  The AW laws were an evolving progression, started with banning by name, until it became clear changing the name was an easy way around for some companies and people.  Then they banned by features, and what a surprise, avoid the features, and then they tried another method and that got thrown out by the courts, so now we have AR again. albeit almost neutered.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy every cool new handgun you can before coming into the state. You can bring any (well almost any) handgun in, but when you are in you can only buy used face to face (at an FFL) or what ever is "approved". So get all the gen4 glocks you may want, or VP9 or whatever before coming.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone. I'm not moving permanent. Be there a year at most. Not sure I'd get a California DL. Would not be able to buy anything then.

Can I buy ammo?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks everyone. I'm not moving permanent. Be there a year at most. Not sure I'd get a California DL. Would not be able to buy anything then.

Can I buy ammo?
View Quote
Ammo is just normal over-the-counter here. No problems.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I may bring an A2 rifle. Can I buy 10 round mags and bullet button there? Would leave the mag button here.

Leaving Friday. Not sure I can get parts shipped here in time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I may bring an A2 rifle. Can I buy 10 round mags and bullet button there? Would leave the mag button here.

View Quote

Yes, parts are available here.

No mags over 10 rounds - handgun or rifle.
No AR's that are listed by name.

As soon as you rent an apartment, you are a California resident.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Certain older rifles are specifically banned by name.  You're really going to want to check out the sticky.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like an Anderson lower with A2 fixed stock, Colt A2 rifle upper is legal with the bullet button and 10 round mag. Can order the parts from midway. Now to decide if its worth the chance it gets stolen.

That and a 1911 or two. Some vintage recurve bows and arrows. Holy cow a nonresident fishing license is high. Probably working to much to need much.

Also bringing a motorcycle.

Thanks every one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds good to go, brother!  Welcome to California--have a great time while  you're here!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Ordered a bullet button, tool, and 10 round mag from midway. Im just a state over here so it showed up quick. Just put the parts in. I'll a picture in a bit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top