Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2015 1:34:12 AM EDT
I've got a guy at work with a CCW (through Kern County Sheriff) who has a girlfriend that has acquired a stalker (previous boyfriend from years ago).  Showed up out of nowhere in their driveway this morning, says the voices in his head told him to come there.  Local PD called and told him to leave, my co-worker and his girlfriend went to the police station to get restraining order against the guy.

Co-worker asks me tonight: "If she applies for her CCW, can she use one of my guns on her license?"

I don't really know, but I told him I didn't think that that would fly.  As far as I know, the gun on the permit has to be legally owned (not loaned) to the licensee.

Am I wrong on this?  Anybody seen this situation?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Here in Sac I know of married couples listing each other's firearms but haven't heard of it for a GF. I also don't recall any state law that requires it, but a sheriff very well might. Honestly I would have her just start the process and ask during the interview, I didn't need to have any of my firearms till I took my qualification with them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy the firearm today.  She will own it, today.  She will have a serial number, make and model for a firearm that she owns.  She will take physical possession of that exact firearm in 10 days.  That is likely to be before her CCW application is approved.

Does that make sense.

If I were your "friend", I would not give a firearm to her.  She is not a family member.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy the firearm today.  She will own it, today.  She will have a serial number, make and model for a firearm that she owns.  She will take physical possession of that exact firearm in 10 days.  That is likely to be before her CCW application is approved.

Does that make sense.

If I were your "friend", I would not give a firearm to her.  She is not a family member.
View Quote

He's well aware of how long both gun purchasing and CCW approval takes, as anybody in CA who has fought through the process must be.  He's merely trying to ascertain whether he needs to spend any more money, when he already has half-a-dozen or so weapons.

Thank you for your reply.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a couple that have the same handgun on both of their CCW's but they're married. I don't know if a girlfriend would be able to use the same weapon on her CCW.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't need a ccw to carry a gun on your property.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He's well aware of how long both gun purchasing and CCW approval takes, as anybody in CA who has fought through the process must be.  He's merely trying to ascertain whether he needs to spend any more money, when he already has half-a-dozen or so weapons.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that make sense.

The post is not about lead times.  It's about her getting her own firearm.  Even so, just trying to help.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:26:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wouldn't let someone kill me because I wouldn't commit a misdemeanor and defend myself.

Unlicensed concealed carry is lawful at your place of employment and residence.
View Quote

Isn't that only if you are the owner, or have the owner's permission?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
He can gift her the firearm.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He can gift her the firearm.
View Quote

Yep, just have an FFL do the paperwork.  That will cost a couple of bucks, but you'd pay that in addition to the cost of a handgun anyway.

By the way, just in the odd chance someone says a restraining order is needed let me make two points.

1.  The do not work.  Maria  Then again neither do the Pasadena Police who refused to respond to her 911 call.

2.  Don't give the SOB any intel.  Let him/her find out you are armed when you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1.  They do not work.  Maria  Then again neither do the Pasadena Police who refused to respond to her 911 call.

2.  Don't give the SOB any intel.  Let him/her find out you are armed when you pull the trigger.
View Quote

It happened again, just a few days ago.  Woman was killed by a man who was the subject of her restraining order.

Isn't there, wasn't there, some sort of exception to the (CCW?) laws for those who have restraining orders?  <-- Where did I read that?  What did I read?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It happened again, just a few days ago.  Woman was killed by a man who was the subject of her restraining order.

Isn't there, wasn't there, some sort of exception to the (CCW?) laws for those who have restraining orders?  <-- Where did I read that?  What did I read?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1.  They do not work.  Maria  Then again neither do the Pasadena Police who refused to respond to her 911 call.

No.  Sheriff's discretion.
ETA: (or issuing authority)
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#14]
In Butte Co., the wife and I have some guns listed on both ccw's. I doubt it would work with a girlfriend.

Tom
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In Butte Co., the wife and I have some guns listed on both ccw's. I doubt it would work with a girlfriend.

Tom
View Quote

You, wife + girlfriend?  It's never worked with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top