Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 4:25:11 PM EDT
Mags with a capacity of over 10 rounds just became illigal. No grandfather or disassembled exemption.

Link
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure this one will get challenged in court.  From what I've read, just driving thru the city of l a with one in your car would be a violation.  Since the state already has a ten round max, albeit larger ones are grandfathered in, this is pretty much just a pre-election "hey look at me" legislation.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Plan your travel through and around that city carefully.
The 15 fwy is now my only path north to get to any plinking spots

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Honest question, if traveling on a State Hwy can you be charged with violating a city law while passing through?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honest question, if traveling on a State Hwy can you be charged with violating a city law while passing through?
View Quote

Yes, but CHP usually not going out of their way to enforce local city ordinances unless you really really brought it upon yourself. Oh yeah, police, chp and sheriff can enforce laws on the highways if they want, peace officer status in CA is statewide authority, not just limited to their general region of employment...even though their supervisors want them to patrol their own areas of responsibility.

Several range facilities force you to cross into this forbidden zone, simply to get there. Puts you at risk even if you are otherwise dotting all the "I"s and crossing the "T"s of the multitude of gun laws.

Stocking up on more 10 rounders.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, but CHP usually not going out of their way to enforce local city ordinances unless you really really brought it upon yourself. Oh yeah, police, chp and sheriff can enforce laws on the highways if they want, peace officer status in CA is statewide authority, not just limited to their general region of employment...even though their supervisors want them to patrol their own areas of responsibility.

Several range facilities force you to cross into this forbidden zone, simply to get there. Puts you at risk even if you are otherwise dotting all the "I"s and crossing the "T"s of the multitude of gun laws.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just one more reason for me not go down there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
OH GOODIE im sure this law will finally be the one to stop ALL crime
LA will become a peaceful utopia
All the gangsters will turn in all their high caps for standard ones
An Isla Vista type shooting could never happen in LA

Good thing I don't live in city of LA anymore
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting!

If you live in the South Bay (PV, Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan and El Segundo), there is no legal way to leave the area without committing a crime.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting!

If you live in the South Bay (PV, Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan and El Segundo), there is no legal way to leave the area without committing a crime.
View Quote

Reasonable burden on the 2nd.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]
You bring up an interesting point. I may have the reason to buy that boat after all!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting!

Thats the shit end of the stick. They can have all sorts of buggery on the books and it sticks until such time as someone takes it to court to challenge it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thats the shit end of the stick. They can have all sorts of buggery on the books and it sticks until such time as someone takes it to court to challenge it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting!

Solution: They will pass a state law similar to the one in Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Plan your travel through and around that city carefully.

The 15 fwy is now my only path north to get to any plinking spots

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/lacityboundries.jpg
View Quote
That puts a damper on driving.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Mags with a capacity of over 10 rounds just became illigal. No grandfather or disassembled exemption.

Link
View Quote

I read the link but fail to find where a disassembled mag is still illegal to own. What section is this under?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I read the link but fail to find where a disassembled mag is still illegal to own. What section is this under?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

(b) Prohibition on Possession of Large-Capacity Magazines
(1) It is unlawful for any person to possess any large-capacity
magazine, except as otherwise authorized by law, whether assembled or
disassembled.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link

(b) Prohibition on Possession of Large-Capacity Magazines

(1) It is unlawful for any person to possess any large-capacity

magazine, except as otherwise authorized by law, whether assembled or

disassembled.

Thanks.

It doesn't define what part is illegal: body, spring, follower or floor plate.  The body is easy to recognize but how about the other parts, which could all be used in a 10rd magazine.  

It also doesn't define what a permanently altered magazine to only accept 10 rounds is construed to be. I don't believe there is a portion of any law that clearly defines this one.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Did they also pass the ordinance or requiring guns to be locked up at home, or were they quibbling against the retired and/or active LEO exemption.  I noticed in the Times (gak ptooey) that they were leaning toward no retired LEO exemption.  (leave the moaning and goraoning about the unfair yada yada better pick up that can, we've heard it, not relevant here)

I didn't get the chance to read the whole wording, but it seemed to me to mirror closely the DC Ordinance that Heller destroyed.  If so, either they as a whole are getting smart or some City Attorney got to enough of them to convince them that part was not going to fly very far, or they are going to do that this week for the news cycle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did they also pass the ordinance or requiring guns to be locked up at home, or were they quibbling against the retired and/or active LEO exemption.  I noticed in the Times (gak ptooey) that they were leaning toward no retired LEO exemption.  (leave the moaning and goraoning about the unfair yada yada better pick up that can, we've heard it, not relevant here)

I didn't get the chance to read the whole wording, but it seemed to me to mirror closely the DC Ordinance that Heller destroyed.  If so, either they as a whole are getting smart or some City Attorney got to enough of them to convince them that part was not going to fly very far, or they are going to do that this week for the news cycle.
View Quote

The locked gun requirement was mirrored after SF's law. They pulled it back to adjust it, most likely to exempt retired Leo with CCW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top