Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2015 4:35:05 PM EDT
I will be moving to CA in a few months, to the Bay Area. I have been reading the stickies (very helpful) and some other posts on here, just want to verify I'm not missing anything.

-ARs: cannot be made from a lower receiver listed, no mags over ten rounds, and must have a bullet button if I want to have pistol grip, collapsing sick, flash hider, etc.

-pump shotgun: no restriction as long as length is ok

-semi shotgun: no detachable magazine, so I'm good add long as length is ok

-PTR91: install a bullet button and no mags over 10 rounds

-pistols: no mags over ten rounds and ditch the threaded barrels

Sound about right? Also, the pistols must be registered within 60 days, long guns do not need to be. The long guns I can bring on in, add long as I have completed the above modifications.

Someone tell me if I'm missing something.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I will be moving to CA in a few months, to the Bay Area. I have been reading the stickies (very helpful) and some other posts on here, just want to verify I'm not missing anything.

-ARs: cannot be made from a lower receiver listed, no mags over ten rounds, and must have a bullet button if I want to have pistol grip, collapsing sick, flash hider, etc. Their is a over all length you need to consider as well

-pump shotgun: no restriction as long as length is ok Still Can't hold more than 10 rounds

-semi shotgun: no detachable magazine, so I'm good add long as length is ok   Still Can't hold more than 10 rounds

-pistols: no mags over ten rounds and ditch the threaded barrels   Buy ALL the off roster pistols you can before coming, Glock 43, Glock 40, CZ evo etc.. you'll thank me later

Sound about right? Also, the pistols must be registered within 60 days, long guns do not need to be. The long guns I can bring on in, add long as I have completed the above modifications. I thought rifles now need to be registered as well, could be wrong though

Thanks!
View Quote

And welcome to CA! Where are you looking to live in the Bay Area?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
agree with buying all the off roster pistols you will ever want.  I missed out on this, and now missed my chance on another P30.  Sad thing is you used to be able to bring in mags over 10rnds as long as they were disassembled.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
All firearms you bring must be registered within 60 days, it's not just the handguns anymore.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You have either lost your damn mind, or you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.  Your profile says you are living in Georgia.  That is a FREE STATE.  Stop and think about this.  You are, at this very moment, living in FREEDOM.  I think you simply don't understand this because you're so used to it.  So that's where you are right now.  Let's contrast that with where you are going.

Aside from the utterly asinine gun laws that have been passed by smug, arrogant politicians*, there is the matter of taxes and other means of income.  For example, a 2011 Silverado will run you over $380 per year for registration, decreasing slightly each year.  I know this little fact because that $380 were the 380 last straws I'd had with this colossally fucked up region.  Then there is the matter of state taxes.  And while we're talking about expenses, you might want to look at the cost of living for the Bay Area.

Then there's the matter of water.  As you may have heard, we're getting mandatory water restrictions passed by the state legislator.  The kicker is that this state brought all of this crap upon itself by repeatedly blocking the construction of desalination plants.  Pop open an editorial written by a local author and you'll see him mention the possibility of basic price controls as being draconian.  God forbid you should pay for what you use!

In short, stay away.  Or, follow me.  I'm leaving for the Boise area this July.  They have a growing tech sector up there.  But there is nothing in California besides stupidity and failure.  It's time to abandon ship.

* One of these anti-gun politicans, Leland Yee, was busted by the FBI for arms trafficking after voting for strict gun regulations.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-ARs: cannot be made from a lower receiver listed, no mags over ten rounds, and must have a bullet button if I want to have pistol grip, collapsing sick, flash hider, etc. Their is a over all length you need to consider as well

-pump shotgun: no restriction as long as length is ok Still Can't hold more than 10 rounds

-semi shotgun: no detachable magazine, so I'm good add long as length is ok   Still Can't hold more than 10 rounds

-pistols: no mags over ten rounds and ditch the threaded barrels   Buy ALL the off roster pistols you can before coming, Glock 43, Glock 40, CZ evo etc.. you'll thank me later

Sound about right? Also, the pistols must be registered within 60 days, long guns do not need to be. The long guns I can bring on in, add long as I have completed the above modifications. I thought rifles now need to be registered as well, could be wrong though

Thanks!

Got it, thanks. None of my shotguns hold more than 10, but good looking out anyway.

Thanks for the welcome, I will likely be living around Walnut Creek.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All firearms you bring must be registered within 60 days, it's not just the handguns anymore.
View Quote

Good to know, this is why I ask these things.

Does one have to actually bring the firearm in question in to register it or just fill out the form? Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with this if you have to bring it in, what with bullet buttons not specifically approved by CA DOJ? I assume not, just wondering. I really have no interest in getting in legal trouble over this stuff, nonsense as it may be.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh man, believe me, I'm not flying totally blind here, I'm with you in so many ways. See responses in red.

Quoted:
You have either lost your damn mind, or you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.  More the former, probably, as I've actually seen this as a possibility for a little while now and made myself familiar with the situation, at least as much as one can from the outside, and I don't like a lot of what I see. Your profile says you are living in Georgia.  That is a FREE STATE. Stop and think about this.  You are, at this very moment, living in FREEDOM.  I think you simply don't understand this because you're so used to it.  So that's where you are right now. Born and raised, damn right it is, and I love it all day long! There's a lot that's going to really just kinda stink about it - many of my valued possessions I will have to leave behind, lest I be ostracized and cast into the dungeons by a legal code and mindset grounded in fallacy, ignorance and stupidity. Many. Let's contrast that with where you are going.

Aside from the utterly asinine gun laws that have been passed by smug, arrogant politicians*, there is the matter of taxes and other means of income.  For example, a 2011 Silverado will run you over $380 per year for registration, decreasing slightly each year.  I know this little fact because that $380 were the 380 last straws I'd had with this colossally fucked up region. Actually I used to pay about that in GA in Ad Valorem taxes, up until this last year when I re-titled my truck, bit the bullet once now there's no more "birthday tax." It still sucks, totally with you, but CA isn't the only place with a jacked up tax system. Then there is the matter of state taxes.  And while we're talking about expenses, you might want to look at the cost of living for the Bay Area. Man, I go back and forth between lying to myself that it isn't that bad and screaming the oaths of a thousand bedouin warlords in my head thinking about it. Oh, I've looked, and I am shocked at what I see. The thought of paying that much is disheartening to me.

Then there's the matter of water.  As you may have heard, we're getting mandatory water restrictions passed by the state legislator.  The kicker is that this state brought all of this crap upon itself by repeatedly blocking the construction of desalination plants.  Pop open an editorial written by a local author and you'll see him mention the possibility of basic price controls as being draconian.  God forbid you should pay for what you use! It will indeed suck to lay in a dry lake bed I didn't even make. Yeah, nothing more to say there.

In short, stay away.  Or, follow me.  I'm leaving for the Boise area this July.  They have a growing tech sector up there.  But there is nothing in California besides stupidity and failure.  It's time to abandon ship.

* One of these anti-gun politicans, Leland Yee, was busted by the FBI for arms trafficking after voting for strict gun regulations. Well aware of Mr. Yee, typical case of the know whats best for you mindset, glazed with PC sauce, with a healthy dose of hypocrisy crumbles sprinkled on top.

View Quote

So - since I pretty much agree with everything you said, why am I moving to CA, you might ask. Well, here's the thing(s), broken down real quick:

1. I have been offered a job transfer there, and it's a great opportunity. Yes, I will sacrifice some of the things I love about my home state, but this isn't permanent by any stretch, and I feel this is the best way to learn and grow for me at this time.
2. California has some beautiful landscapes. I'm really looking forward to experiencing a new type of outdoors and climate for a little while - we've got beautiful places here for sure, they're just different from your beautiful places.
3. The wife and I look at this as an adventure. (see above about not staying forever - < 2 years is what I'm shooting for) There are things we can easier do from out there than we can from GA - see some *real* mountains, go skiing, visit places like San Francisco, the great national parks, all that. I know San Francisco is supposed to be full of "fruits and nuts" as the cliche goes, but its also full of lots of cool stuff to do, places to eat, and the sun sets on the other side of the ocean than here :) I'm not a city guy by any means, but in doses it can be fun. This is largely about life experience. We have the rest of our lives to settle down and stay somewhere, there's no time like now (read: no kids!) to try some different stuff. I don't want to look back in 20 years (or even 5) and wonder, "what if?"
4. I know there will be plenty of times when I get so frustrated with things I about go ballistic - hell, I do now, and to your point, I'm in a "free state!" I'm positive I'll be ready to head back home when the time comes, but I'll take back with me what your state does have to offer, which I still have to believe is a lot.

Chalk it up to youthful naivete maybe, but while I'm cranky about some aspects of it, as a whole, I look forward to the opportunity.... So - laugh away!

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... I'll take back with me what your state does have to offer, which I still have to believe is a lot.

View Quote

This is the greatest State in the Union.  We do have a lot to offer.  

Come!  Enjoy!  Contribute!  

If and when you return to your home State, you will better for having been here.

Welcome to California.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does one have to actually bring the firearm in question in to register it or just fill out the form? Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with this if you have to bring it in, what with bullet buttons not specifically approved by CA DOJ? I assume not, just wondering. I really have no interest in getting in legal trouble over this stuff, nonsense as it may be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need to inspect anything, just fill out the form and send it in.

DOJ does not approve anything, they are quite silent on the subject of technical compliance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for the welcome, I will likely be living around Walnut Creek.
View Quote

Get ready to be completely blown away with how much more expensive things will be But you will enjoy your time here, lots of amazing things to do here!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're only staying for two years, you should be fine.  You'll feel like a convict fresh out of prison when you get back, but you'll be free.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is the greatest State in the Union.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... I'll take back with me what your state does have to offer, which I still have to believe is a lot.

This is the greatest State in the Union.

You're holding the list upside down.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh man, believe me, I'm not flying totally blind here, I'm with you in so many ways. See responses in red.

So - since I pretty much agree with everything you said, why am I moving to CA, you might ask. Well, here's the thing(s), broken down real quick:

1. I have been offered a job transfer there, and it's a great opportunity. Yes, I will sacrifice some of the things I love about my home state, but this isn't permanent by any stretch, and I feel this is the best way to learn and grow for me at this time.
2. California has some beautiful landscapes. I'm really looking forward to experiencing a new type of outdoors and climate for a little while - we've got beautiful places here for sure, they're just different from your beautiful places.
3. The wife and I look at this as an adventure. (see above about not staying forever - < 2 years is what I'm shooting for) There are things we can easier do from out there than we can from GA - see some *real* mountains, go skiing, visit places like San Francisco, the great national parks, all that. I know San Francisco is supposed to be full of "fruits and nuts" as the cliche goes, but its also full of lots of cool stuff to do, places to eat, and the sun sets on the other side of the ocean than here :) I'm not a city guy by any means, but in doses it can be fun. This is largely about life experience. We have the rest of our lives to settle down and stay somewhere, there's no time like now (read: no kids!) to try some different stuff. I don't want to look back in 20 years (or even 5) and wonder, "what if?"
4. I know there will be plenty of times when I get so frustrated with things I about go ballistic - hell, I do now, and to your point, I'm in a "free state!" I'm positive I'll be ready to head back home when the time comes, but I'll take back with me what your state does have to offer, which I still have to believe is a lot.

Chalk it up to youthful naivete maybe, but while I'm cranky about some aspects of it, as a whole, I look forward to the opportunity.... So - laugh away!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
You have either lost your damn mind, or you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.  More the former, probably, as I've actually seen this as a possibility for a little while now and made myself familiar with the situation, at least as much as one can from the outside, and I don't like a lot of what I see. Your profile says you are living in Georgia.  That is a FREE STATE. Stop and think about this.  You are, at this very moment, living in FREEDOM.  I think you simply don't understand this because you're so used to it.  So that's where you are right now. Born and raised, damn right it is, and I love it all day long! There's a lot that's going to really just kinda stink about it - many of my valued possessions I will have to leave behind, lest I be ostracized and cast into the dungeons by a legal code and mindset grounded in fallacy, ignorance and stupidity. Many. Let's contrast that with where you are going.

Aside from the utterly asinine gun laws that have been passed by smug, arrogant politicians*, there is the matter of taxes and other means of income.  For example, a 2011 Silverado will run you over $380 per year for registration, decreasing slightly each year.  I know this little fact because that $380 were the 380 last straws I'd had with this colossally fucked up region. Actually I used to pay about that in GA in Ad Valorem taxes, up until this last year when I re-titled my truck, bit the bullet once now there's no more "birthday tax." It still sucks, totally with you, but CA isn't the only place with a jacked up tax system. Then there is the matter of state taxes.  And while we're talking about expenses, you might want to look at the cost of living for the Bay Area. Man, I go back and forth between lying to myself that it isn't that bad and screaming the oaths of a thousand bedouin warlords in my head thinking about it. Oh, I've looked, and I am shocked at what I see. The thought of paying that much is disheartening to me.

Then there's the matter of water.  As you may have heard, we're getting mandatory water restrictions passed by the state legislator.  The kicker is that this state brought all of this crap upon itself by repeatedly blocking the construction of desalination plants.  Pop open an editorial written by a local author and you'll see him mention the possibility of basic price controls as being draconian.  God forbid you should pay for what you use! It will indeed suck to lay in a dry lake bed I didn't even make. Yeah, nothing more to say there.

* One of these anti-gun politicans, Leland Yee, was busted by the FBI for arms trafficking after voting for strict gun regulations. Well aware of Mr. Yee, typical case of the know whats best for you mindset, glazed with PC sauce, with a healthy dose of hypocrisy crumbles sprinkled on top.

Welcome to California!

Your reasoning is exactly what mine was 3.5 years ago.  (except for kids and I am not a youth any more).  I was made an offer I couldn't refuse for a transfer and took it.  We have not regretted a minute of it, a fantastic adventure.  House with a view, close to beach, mountains, disneyland, 6 hours from grand canyon (at least from SoCal), the freaks, it's all a huge spectacle.  Come and enjoy it.  Like you said you don't have to stay forever.

Having said that, I am now making plans to exit, hopefully by year 5 or 6.  The vaccine stuff is moving in a direction we don't like, my relo benefits run out year 5, plus my house is worth about $200k more than I paid 3 years ago.  Sort of bitter sweet.  The job is great and we would really like to stay just a little longer.

Gun stuff is right.  Very sad.  Since I've been here I have really learned to like the Mini 14 believe it or not but it will be good to be reunited with the AK's and AR's I didn't bring and see the bullet button guns I've built here mature into fully functional rifles.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:27:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Welcome to CA!  You're going to one of the prettier spots.  All joking aside, we've got much to offer.
San Francisco is one of the prettiest and most interesting cities in the world...Lots to do there.
Get a chance to tour wine country!  Go skiing in the Sierra Nevadas if it ever snows again!  Visit Lake Tahoe--both sides--and if you're into it, get your hike on in Desolation Wilderness!
Visit the Winchester Mystery House, all the amusements in SoCal, and play in the desert...or on the beach.
Have a blast, brother!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Capitalism is migrating to Texas more than anywhere else.  As far as production goes, I've noticed this state produces left-winged immigrants that flock to other states.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#18]
and gunowners that run away rather than try to help/
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm running away?  Okay, sure, we'll say that just for sake of argument.  Let's say I'm running away from the tyranny of California while you stay behind and get sodomized.  Is this the part where I tell you that your efforts won't be in vain?  Because that's a fucking joke.

And what the hell am I supposed to do to help?  The left here controls everything.  We don't have any say anymore.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#20]
oh somebody just found a shoe.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#21]
As a native born Californian I can say with certainty after having left the state in 2001 for the navy and returning twice for orders I can not see myself moving there ever if I can help it.

If you want to do it OP go ahead.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]
You're in the same boat I was last year. We moved back because my wife is from LA County. I don't have much family left on the east coast so wanted my kids to grow up around family and my wife's family is HUGE. I took her back to MA with me in '92 them up to NH. I'd move back in a heartbeat if it weren't for her family.

So....you need to focus on the positives and there are plenty.

Alcohol is cheap here. Even cheaper than tax free NH.

Lots and lots of BLM land to shoot. It's amazing how much land is available to shoot here.

magazineblocks.com to convert your mags and not waste them. Very inexpensive solution.

Bullet buttons where you need them. They are a PIA. A festering boil on Nancy Pelosi's ass.

You can bring off roster handguns so get what you want before you come.

You have to take a written test before you can buy a gun here. Basic safety test. Doesn't look hard but I haven't taken it, I brought plenty of guns with me so in no rush.

It's hard to compare ammo prices because there's been so much fluctuation but was blown away to see a spam can of 7.62x39 going for $225. Outrageous. AR ammo seemed comparable though. CZ's seemed overpriced, but other guns seemed comparable. Give or take. It's the taxes that kill you.

I had no problem registering everything (as in the process itself was easy) though personally, I had a big F'ing problem with it. Not much I could do, screw up here and risk losing them everywhere for life. The law changed a couple of years ago so it's a one time fee to register them all instead of a fee for each gun. Registration was a tough pill to swallow.

Be ready if you own a truck. California considers every pickup truck a commercial vehicle so you have to pay to register it as one. I found this out the hard way. I had to take my Tacoma to a certified Weighmaster and have it friggin' weighed to pay by weight every year. Trucks purchased here don't get weighed, but be ready if you bring one in. They say those little Ford Rangers tear up the road, but Chevy Tahoes don't, so truck owners have to pay for their sins.

If your car doesn't have a California emissions sticker make sure it has at least 7,500 miles and be damn sure it'll pass the DMV inspection. They don't have safety inspections/stickers but it will be inspected at DMV when you register it. If you fail on the first try the vehicle is banned for life. No joke, the lady who inspected my truck had to reject a wheel-chair van because it didn't have 7,500 miles so the owner was screwed. She felt pretty bad about it too, but apparently cars spew sunshine and roses after 7,500 miles.

If your cars are less than a year old they'll make you pay CA sales tax minus the sales tax you paid in GA. I was coming from NH where there's no sales tax. Not good. As luck would have it, they were "delivered" exactly one year and one day from the date both were purchased. What are the chances? Funny how those things work out wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

You're moving for work so save every receipt for everything, even packing boxes. Some things aren't deductible but most are including airfare, rentals, storage, gas, tolls, hotels, etc. It adds up fast. I brought dogs so even deducted the nice new cap on my Tacoma.

It is what it is. You'll find gun owners stick together here because of the state's irrational laws. I've also found most cops don't agree with them either and several told me they won't enforce magazine limits/bullet buttons but I'm not risking losing it all when I know I won't live here forever.

Funny thing I noticed at LGS is instead of stupid SEAL sniper green beret space shuttle door gunner stories, the main topic of conversation tends to revolve around the state's fucked up gun laws.

Good luck and make the best of it. Despite the state's reputation there are plenty of good people here.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Helpful post is helpful, thanks. Good to hear it's a one time registration, bad to know there's registration at all.

The thing about trucks sucks, too.

Quoted:
You're in the same boat I was last year. We moved back because my wife is from LA County. I don't have much family left on the east coast so wanted my kids to grow up around family and my wife's family is HUGE. I took her back to MA with me in '92 them up to NH. I'd move back in a heartbeat if it weren't for her family.

So....you need to focus on the positives and there are plenty.

Alcohol is cheap here. Even cheaper than tax free NH.

Lots and lots of BLM land to shoot. It's amazing how much land is available to shoot here.

magazineblocks.com to convert your mags and not waste them. Very inexpensive solution.

Bullet buttons where you need them. They are a PIA. A festering boil on Nancy Pelosi's ass.

You can bring off roster handguns so get what you want before you come.

You have to take a written test before you can buy a gun here. Basic safety test. Doesn't look hard but I haven't taken it, I brought plenty of guns with me so in no rush.

It's hard to compare ammo prices because there's been so much fluctuation but was blown away to see a spam can of 7.62x39 going for $225. Outrageous. AR ammo seemed comparable though. CZ's seemed overpriced, but other guns seemed comparable. Give or take. It's the taxes that kill you.

I had no problem registering everything (as in the process itself was easy) though personally, I had a big F'ing problem with it. Not much I could do, screw up here and risk losing them everywhere for life. The law changed a couple of years ago so it's a one time fee to register them all instead of a fee for each gun. Registration was a tough pill to swallow.

Be ready if you own a truck. California considers every pickup truck a commercial vehicle so you have to pay to register it as one. I found this out the hard way. I had to take my Tacoma to a certified Weighmaster and have it friggin' weighed to pay by weight every year. Trucks purchased here don't get weighed, but be ready if you bring one in. They say those little Ford Rangers tear up the road, but Chevy Tahoes don't, so truck owners have to pay for their sins.

If your car doesn't have a California emissions sticker make sure it has at least 7,500 miles and be damn sure it'll pass the DMV inspection. They don't have safety inspections/stickers but it will be inspected at DMV when you register it. If you fail on the first try the vehicle is banned for life. No joke, the lady who inspected my truck had to reject a wheel-chair van because it didn't have 7,500 miles so the owner was screwed. She felt pretty bad about it too, but apparently cars spew sunshine and roses after 7,500 miles.

If your cars are less than a year old they'll make you pay CA sales tax minus the sales tax you paid in GA. I was coming from NH where there's no sales tax. Not good. As luck would have it, they were "delivered" exactly one year and one day from the date both were purchased. What are the chances? Funny how those things work out wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

You're moving for work so save every receipt for everything, even packing boxes. Some things aren't deductible but most are including airfare, rentals, storage, gas, tolls, hotels, etc. It adds up fast. I brought dogs so even deducted the nice new cap on my Tacoma.

It is what it is. You'll find gun owners stick together here because of the state's irrational laws. I've also found most cops don't agree with them either and several told me they won't enforce magazine limits/bullet buttons but I'm not risking losing it all when I know I won't live here forever.

Funny thing I noticed at LGS is instead of stupid SEAL sniper green beret space shuttle door gunner stories, the main topic of conversation tends to revolve around the state's fucked up gun laws.

Good luck and make the best of it. Despite the state's reputation there are plenty of good people here.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:22:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I will be moving to CA in a few months, to the Bay Area.

Thanks!
View Quote

I'm just a visitor in the bay area (Sunnyvale) but let me tell you what I have seen.    EVERYTHING cost more here, and by more I mean a lot more.   Gas is anywhere from 3.69 to 4.00 a gal and that is for just reg gas.    If you eat out everything from fast food to sit down dinning is more expensive.    Round table pizza just charged me $25.00 for a small 3 topping pizza

I dont know where you plan on living but a basic 1 bedroom apartment is over 2K a month.    But dont worry the prices drop as you drive farther south, but a 5 mile drive on 101 can take over 20 mins during rush hour.  If you dont believe me then check out Google maps during rush hour.

As for driving, the intersections around here are a pain.    The light cycles are very long.  Plus it would appear that there is no left turn on green got to wait for a green arrow) and there are not a lot of right turns on red either.   Then there are the stop lights on the freeway on ramps.  All this just slows every thing down.   But dont worry even when the light does change to green you can't rush because the electric car in front of you will not accelerate due to the fear that the green leaf/tree might turn brown on their dash computer screen as their mpg drop from 42.8 to a 42.7 mpg.  

Oh when you go shopping dont forget to take your own bags.   Plastic bags have been banned and if you dont have your own bags they have to charge you .10 for each paper bag.      

State income tax, if you make over 50K its 9.3% over 254K its 10.3%  

But ha it's a great state suck it up and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm just a visitor in the bay area (Sunnyvale) but let me tell you what I have seen.    EVERYTHING cost more here, and by more I mean a lot more.   Gas is anywhere from 3.69 to 4.00 a gal and that is for just reg gas.    If you eat out everything from fast food to sit down dinning is more expensive.    Round table pizza just charged me $25.00 for a small 3 topping pizza

I dont know where you plan on living but a basic 1 bedroom apartment is over 2K a month.    But dont worry the prices drop as you drive farther south, but a 5 mile drive on 101 can take over 20 mins during rush hour.  If you dont believe me then check out Google maps during rush hour.

As for driving, the intersections around here are a pain.    The light cycles are very long.  Plus it would appear that there is no left turn on green (got to wait for a green arrow) and there are not a lot of right turns on red either.   Then there are the stop lights on the freeway on ramps.  All this just slows every thing down.   But dont worry even when the light does change to green you can't rush because the electric car in front of you will not accelerate due to the fear that the green leaf/tree might turn brown on their dash computer screen as their mpg drop from 42.8 to a 42.7 mpg.  

Oh when you go shopping dont forget to take your own bags.   Plastic bags have been banned and if you dont have your own bags they have to charge you .10 for each paper bag.      

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

As for driving, the intersections around here are a pain.    The light cycles are very long.  Plus it would appear that there is no left turn on green (got to wait for a green arrow) and there are not a lot of right turns on red either.   Then there are the stop lights on the freeway on ramps.  All this just slows every thing down.   But dont worry even when the light does change to green you can't rush because the electric car in front of you will not accelerate due to the fear that the green leaf/tree might turn brown on their dash computer screen as their mpg drop from 42.8 to a 42.7 mpg.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As for driving, the intersections around here are a pain.    The light cycles are very long.  Plus it would appear that there is no left turn on green got to wait for a green arrow) and there are not a lot of right turns on red either.   Then there are the stop lights on the freeway on ramps.  All this just slows every thing down.   But dont worry even when the light does change to green you can't rush because the electric car in front of you will not accelerate due to the fear that the green leaf/tree might turn brown on their dash computer screen as their mpg drop from 42.8 to a 42.7 mpg.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I've been working up north quite a bit lately (I live in San Bernardino County) and was shocked at the difference in cost of living between northern and Southern California. It's not cheap down here but definitely more expensive up north. Been working in San Fran, San Jose, and San Ramon areas surrounded by Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, Tesla, Porsche, Maserati, Lamborgini, and BMW dealerships.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks everyone for the responses, many have been helpful.

Yes, I already knew it was more expensive there, so no need to clue me in there.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey a fellow Georgian going CA as well & in the same area!

I'm moving my lady out there next Friday (Sunnyvale), she landed a killer IT job at Stanford. been looking at places out there in the Bay Area too.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm moving my lady out there next Friday (Sunnyvale), she landed a killer IT job at Stanford. been looking at places out there in the Bay Area too.

View Quote

Nice!

Welp, bullet buttons and 10 rounders in the mail now!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey OP, how'd your move go?

I've been out here in our lovely/tiny Sunnyvale apt (near Levi's stadium)for the past week. That drive out was brutal but a little R&R in Vegas made it all worth while.

Once I'm finished with work back home, I'll be officially out here in Sept.

Also, you find some ranges or any where to shoot for that matter let me know!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey OP, how'd your move go?

I've been out here in our lovely/tiny Sunnyvale apt (near Levi's stadium)for the past week. That drive out was brutal but a little R&R in Vegas made it all worth while.

Once I'm finished with work back home, I'll be officially out here in Sept.

Also, you find some ranges or any where to shoot for that matter let me know!
View Quote

Ask me in a week!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I welcome yet another gun owner to California

(you think you two Georgians could get together and manage to pull off some good Georgia barbeque???)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I welcome yet another gun owner to California

(you think you two Georgians could get together and manage to pull off some good Georgia barbeque???)

Yeah cmon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top