Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 10:50:33 AM EDT
With some of the flips in laws this year I can't find a solid answer (my google foo feels weak today).  I am wondering if its legal to build an ar pistol from an 80% lower.  Only info I find on calguns is about the SSE which is gone now.

Thanks

Jason
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it is. In fact, using an 80% lower is the only way to make one in CA. A stripped receiver bought from an FFL is DROSed as "rifle" so it can't be used to build a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, just remember to observe the normal AWB stuff (bullet button). And no vertical fore grip, as that makes it an aow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the response guys.  This is great news.  Guess I better hurry up and order the jigs and 80s.

Jason

ETA:  Does it have to be registered after completion?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked into this a few months ago and the overwhelming response I got here, calguns, and local gun stores was no I couldn't build a ar pistol with an 80% lower. If there is more solid proof then just two yes you can responses my wife is going to hate me because I'm going to build one! My search function is no bueno or I would link the thread
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the response guys.  This is great news.  Guess I better hurry up and order the jigs and 80s.

Jason

ETA:  Does it have to be registered after completion?
View Quote
No, it doesn't have to be registered.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I looked into this a few months ago and the overwhelming response I got here, calguns, and local gun stores was no I couldn't build a ar pistol with an 80% lower. If there is more solid proof then just two yes you can responses my wife is going to hate me because I'm going to build one! My search function is no bueno or I would link the thread
View Quote
You can do whatever you want with an 80%er as long as it complies with the AWB. Pistol is fine as long as it's for personal use and you actually make it yourself on your own equipment.

Also, it has been my experience that Calguns is kinda useless for info. There are some good guys on there but way more idiots. And gunstores are horrible for info in general. I say that as a guy who works at a gunshop. My gunsmith still thinks that flash-hiders are illegal on a BB'd rifle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top