Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 12:56:24 AM EDT
Please tell me if I have this right, my LaRue predatobr is considered and off the list lower and to legally register it I only need to add a "bullet button" and get 10 round mags? Also, is an in line night sight considered a "nightscope"? You cant even use it without a reg scope in front of it. Would this have to be sold prior to the move?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It's my understanding that "night-vision" or light amplifying optics are verboten here in Kalifornatan.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The only night sights that are illegal here are the old 1950's military units that include both an IR illuminator and IR scope in the same unit.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Please tell me if I have this right, my LaRue predatobr is considered and off the list lower

All Larue lower receivers are off list lowers (OLL).

and to legally register it I only need to add a "bullet button"

You have to register it as a long gun (rifle) with the DOJ.  It either has to be rendered featureless or have a Bullet Button installed. Add the Bullet Button BEFORE you enter the State.  

and get 10 round mags?

You cannot bring ANY high cap mags with you when you move here, none.  Top quality ten round mags are readily available.

Also, is an in line night sight considered a "nightscope"? You cant even use it without a reg scope in front of it. Would this have to be sold prior to the move?

I'm not familiar with that night sight.  Please post a link to your night sight.

Passive night vision is legal to own and use.  Examples include a rifle-mounted PVS-14 (or other brand/model), that use a photomultiplier tube (PMT) to amplify available light; passive, long wave IR "thermal" night sight.  Mounting a telescopic sight in front of a passive night sight (PMT) is legal.

I have heard, but do not know with any certainty, that hunting with any sort of night sight may not be legal.  If you are a hunter, check into this before using night vision in your hunt.

Active IR night vision is not legal (both the IR illuminator and detector mounted on rifle).  Examples include an IR laser or IR-filtered flashlight mounted on the rifle and a rifle-mounted IR imager (PVS-14, etc) would constitute active IR night vision.  

View Quote

Shamelessly stolen from the sticky thread:

Night Vision Rifle Scopes (sniper scopes)

Title 2 of part 4 of the penal code, 468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It is an AN/PVS-22 universal night sight. Its sounding like a no go as i read the comments above. I may have to do some more digging to see how to get paperwork saying its for scientific research.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is an AN/PVS-22 universal night sight. Its sounding like a no go as i read the comments above. I may have to do some more digging to see how to get paperwork saying its for scientific research.
View Quote

Link to TNVC web site

Why do you think it is not legal?  I do not see any sort of illuminator (light source) on that sight.  There is no mention of an illuminator in the write up or technical specifications.  Am I missing it?

If it does not have an infra-red light source, it should be legal.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a specific scope referred to by that law.  It was high tech in its day but is now VERY clunky.  Re-read the law I posted and look at this IR night vision scope on which it is based.  

The scope is an early generation PMT.  The cylindrical object atop the scope is an IR light source (illuminator).  The law is (thankfully) fairly narrowly written around a description of that device and any similar in function - having both an IR light source and "electronic scope" (photomultiplier tube).  

Does any of this help or am I confusing you further?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The IR light source used above has typically been replaced by either an IR laser or a flashlight with a filter that allows only IR to pass thru.  I think the IR laser can also be used for aiming.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
No ir illuminator or laser. can obviously see ir, but it does sound CA legal by how you mentioned the "narrow" writing of it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I normally have the PVS mounted on a helmet but this works too. The PVS-15 comes with a small IR diode but is a 1x non-telescopic sight.
View Quote

Yes, further narrowing of the law - only telescopic (magnifying) sights would fit the legal definition.  Non-magnifying sights, like red dots, are not affected by the law.

Still further narrowing - if the telescope (a magnifying optical sight) is not electronic (purely optical) the law does not apply.  

If you interpret it too narrowly, at some point, you will run afoul of the law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top