Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 1:07:26 AM EDT
I recently acquired a lower marked RESTRICTED MILITARY/GOVERNMENT LAW ENFOCEMENT/EXPORT ONLY.  The other side is marked COLTS LAW ENFORCEMENT CARBINE CAL. 5.56 with a serial # LE 001XXX.  I've been poking around to see if it's legal or not and have found mixed answers ranging from 'doesn't matter now that the ban is no longer' to 'it's automatic jail time in California'.  If it is illegal here is it legal in other states?  I could give it to a relative in AZ and have him sell it if they're allowed there.

[obscured the serial number a bit more - Paul]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
These are the banned Colt models -

Colt
Law Enforcement (6920)
Match Target (all)
AR-15 (all) *
Sporter (all)

Is it a Colt Law Enforcement (6920)?  

That it has a carbine upper on it is probably not relevant.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:45:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Well this is an interesting post. Before making any admissions of what is or isn't in your possession on the internet, I would first be certain of it's legality. Law enforcement does read these posts. If you acquired it through a FFL and legally transferred it, you are reasonably safe. While the federal assault weapon ban has expired, the state of California ban has not. The Colt models posted above are in fact banned. Colt makes many models that are legal including a 6920CA, 6921 6724, and others. Many of them have the same roll marks. The problem you have is you don't know the model number of your receiver.  Since you posted your serial number (a very low LE number) it appears to me that it could in fact be a 6920. I don't know for sure. Colt knows. Law enforcement could find out with a phone call to Colt. So you should research your receiver whether you transferred it legally or not just to be safe. If you get caught with a 6920 (you already have your doubts as to its legality) they are not going to let you off the hook so easy even if you have a receipt. Law enforcement can look up your ass with a microscope, I wouldn't let myself be put in that position if I was able to stop it. -W
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.  I tried Colt online, they don't have a listing to ID it but offer a search for $100.  I'll try calling them and see if they'll help.

If a post asking a question that I could be posting for someone else somehow leads to cops breaking down my door without them actually knowing whether I'm in possession of something illegal it's no longer worth living in the USA and there will be a helluva story on the news.  Sorry if that sounds dickish, I do appreciate the warning.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I read it in the news daily. Joe Blow gets a visit from his local law enforcement agency after posting on social media. Just looking out for you bro. -W

ETA: The Restricted roll markings on the magazine well are meaningless today. They were marked that way during the federal AWB and it no longer applies. -W
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
6921 and 6933's are marked similar, if not the same as the 6920.  You need to contact Colt with your serial number to get the exact configuration that the rifle left the factor, to be sure.  It is also more than a good idea to have a letter on Colts letter head stating what configuration it left Connecticut in.

Both the 6921 and the 6933 are not specificity banned, although the receiver markings are identical.

This is what you should be most concerned with.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My 6920 has only the wording "Colts Law Enforcement Carbine" and my 6933 lower is printed "M4LE Colts Law Enforcement" with the outline of two ammo cartridges facing outwards towards the word Colt.  Every 6933 & 6921 I've handled was rollmarked this way, and does not have the word Carbine on it.  

I have recently seen a lot of 14.5" LE agency guns in SoCal with "M4 Carbine" rollmarks, but since the agency installed optics instead of the carry handles I don't know if they were 6921's or another model number.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The Colt M4 carbine roll mark is currently used on the 6920 and all its variations and the 6940 and others. The 6940 is legal and the 6920 isn't/ -W

ETA: Colt 6920: Colt 6920
Colt 6940: Colt 6940

It happens on other models too, even if its not the standard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I talked to Colt today, it's a 1998 LE 6920.  I've heard that the RESTRICTED markings mean nothing federally since the ban ended but may still be a California issue and that the LE 6920 is banned by name; true?  Would it be legal in one of our free states?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you.  I tried Colt online, they don't have a listing to ID it but offer a search for $100.  I'll try calling them and see if they'll help.

If a post asking a question that I could be posting for someone else somehow leads to cops breaking down my door without them actually knowing whether I'm in possession of something illegal it's no longer worth living in the USA and there will be a helluva story on the news.  Sorry if that sounds dickish, I do appreciate the warning.
View Quote

$100?  Wow, that's pricey.

For $100 you can replace the receiver with a known-legal lower.  Separate the receivers and save the upper.  Strip all parts out of the lower.  Rebuild a lower receiver using an off-list lower (OLL).

Set the Colt lower aside while you research its legality or sell it out of State to recoup the cost of the OLL.  I bet the Colt lower sells for more than the OLL costs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Since it's a 6920, remove it from the state. Yes, it's legal in other states to transfer. -W

The Restricted markings are not a California issue. -W

ETA: Yes, the 6920 is banned by make and model. True. -W
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For $100 you can replace the receiver with a known-legal lower.  Separate the receivers and save the upper.  Strip all parts out of the lower.  Rebuild a lower receiver using an off-list lower (OLL).

Set the Colt lower aside while you research its legality or sell it out of State to recoup the cost of the OLL.  I bet the Colt lower sells for more than the OLL costs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The $100, which varies by weapon model, gets you a detailed list of the gun's parts/extras when it was produced and it's on pretty Colt letterhead stamped and signed.  I was able to get the basic year/model with a phone call.

I'll probably sell it out of state and try to get a non-restriced Colt lower.  It has a Spikes on it now so it's legal, and altho it's not a special collector's gun, I'd like to keep it as original as possible therefor my desire for a Colt lower.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since it's a 6920, remove it from the state. Yes, it's legal in other states to transfer. -W

The Restricted markings are not a California issue. -W

ETA: Yes, the 6920 is banned by make and model. True. -W
View Quote

Thank you.  Such a bummer, I wish our law makers weren't so retarded.  Between firearm and vehicle laws I'm convinced I wanna leave Ca., just can't decide where to.  Az is first that comes to mind but I think I'd miss the ocean.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Colt M4 carbine roll mark is currently used on the 6920 and all its variations and the 6940 and others. The 6940 is legal and the 6920 isn't/ -W

View Quote

M4 Carbine roll marked LE6920's aren't illegal here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he is trying to say is that, even thought the "M4 Carbine" roll marked 6920 is not legal in CA, the 6940 is.  And there is no physical difference between the two.  You would have to call Colt and run the serial numbers just to find out which one is which.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#15]
There is some ambiguity in the fact that the list uses both a model number and a roll mark. It uses one or the other or both. It doesn't specifically state: Law Enforcement, (6920), Sporter (al), Match Target (all), AR-15 (all). With commas or separation. It lists them as line items. In the case of the 6920 it may apply specifically to the Law Enforcement model only.  In the case of the Sporter Match Target, AR-15 it goes by the roll mark, not the model number. Knowing that the Sporter, Match Target, AR-15 are roll marks, and not model numbers I have always read the banned models in the code as being  the Sporter, Match Target, Law Enforcement, AR-15 AND the 6920. Just to be safe. I may technically be wrong. This could become a long debate, and I can see good arguments on both sides. Any prosecutor could say it's plain as day, the make is a Colt and the model is 6920 it's banned. No matter what the roll marks say. That is the criteria used to determine legality, the make and the model by court decisions. The law states some are banned by roll marks, another by model number. So that's the ambiguity.  
It's possible there is an addendum somewhere clarifying the Kasler v. Lockyer Assault Weapon List whether the list addresses The Law Enforcement 6920 as a single make and model or it applies to anything roll marked Law Enforcement and the 6920 model number with any roll marks separately. I just haven't heard of or seen that so I may be a bit behind on the clarification of this issue.

In either case regarding the OP and the LE 6920, that is in fact banned for sure.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
The long debate -

I don't think there is any rational interpretation of the list except that the text is the model name and what is in parenthesis is the model number for the model name.  

Model name (model number) : Colt Law Enforcement (6920)

It is a bummer the OP's rifle is banned.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]
That would be good except for the fact the remaining models are "Colt, (all)" and what is written in parenthesis is no longer the make and the model number its the make and a roll mark. -W

ETA: The list says Colt Law Enforcement (6920) It doesn't say "Colt Law Enforcement Carbine". This is also a consideration. Is there another model "Colt Law Enforcement"? If so would that not make the Colt Law Enforcement Carbine (6920) legal due to it's roll mark? -W
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#18]
<post deleted by author>
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What he is trying to say is that, even thought the "M4 Carbine" roll marked 6920 is not legal in CA, the 6940 is.  And there is no physical difference between the two.  You would have to call Colt and run the serial numbers just to find out which one is which.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what he's saying and he's wrong about M4 Carbine roll marked 6920s being illegal here.  

They are not on the list.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#20]
So I should get a stamp set, 6940 it is
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#21]
"Colt AR15 series" is listed in the assault weapon ban under PC 30510.  Colt later changed their names to things like "lightweight Sporter" as an example to keep it from being banned.   Then along came SB23 which became effective in 2001.  It banned certain "features" such as "semi automatic" "centerfire" "pistol grip conspicuously below the action" etc etc.

By name here is what is a "listed" for Colt:

*AR-15 (all)
Sporter (all)
Match Target (all)
Law Enforcement (6920)

If your lower does not say any of that, your good with a bullet button, if it does, it's a no no.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Colt AR15 series" is listed in the assault weapon ban under PC 30510.  Colt later changed their names to things like "lightweight Sporter" as an example to keep it from being banned.   Then along came SB23 which became effective in 2001.  It banned certain "features" such as "semi automatic" "centerfire" "pistol grip conspicuously below the action" etc etc.

By name here is what is a "listed" for Colt:

*AR-15 (all)
Sporter (all)
Match Target (all)
Law Enforcement (6920)

If your lower does not say any of that, your good with a bullet button, if it does, it's a no no.  

View Quote

My 6920 doesn't say AR15 or 6920, actually it says nothing cuz it don't talk, but it's a LE 6920 so it's illegal.  Yes, a cop would have to know or call Colt with the serial # to identify that it's a 6920, but still a risk.  Being that it's stamped with the 'restricted' crap it would raise suspicion.  I no longer have it, it was properly disposed of in accordance with the law so as to be a good boy and not break any forum rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top