Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2015 11:09:21 PM EDT
My daughter and her friend want to move to southern CA. Can you guys please answer a few questions for me?
She is talking about the Carlsbad area.

1. What is a good area to go to that is safe?
2. What are the ares to stay away from?
3. How is the employment field? My daughter just graduated college with a 4 year degree in finance. Her friend has a degree in health administration.
4. Can she bring a gun (handgun)into the state? If so what is the procedure.
5. Any details they should know?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
1-3 Can't answer as I am in San Francisco area.

4,  Leave all magazines above 10rnds in PA.  When she gets here just register it  http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.  Roster list does not apply to people who are moving to the state.

5.  Taxes and cost of living are ridiculous here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
How is the car insurance?

What is the sales tax rate?

What is the state income tax rate?

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#3]
expensive due to the sheer number of drivers (including illegals with no insurance or drivers license)

state tax rate is 7.5%

every county and city usually add their own taxes on top of that.  In my town its 9.5% (highest in our county).
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Does she have a job?  If so, let her place of employment dictate where she lives rather than arbitrarily picking Carlsbad.  I say this because the costs and time involved in commuting are horrendous.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Carlsbad is a nice place.  On the coast near Camp Pendleton in northern San Diego county.  Lot's of people like living there or would like to live there.  This means high cost of housing and low wages.  (Econ 101 in practice - Most of San Diego County is that way.)  If she doesn't have a good job waiting, finding one that can support the coastal lifestyle is tough.  A lot of people live and work in small small apartments, etc.  Artists, surfers, more artists, more surfers, etc..  Back before the Democrats took over in Sacramento, CA had an overall better than average cost of living.  Now over-regulation and over-taxing combined with a housing and job shortage have combined to make it a very expensive place to live.  Especially near the beach.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
What are the gas prices?

What area are the jobs in?

What is the unemployment rate?

What is the law for registering a car? How long after you make residency?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are the gas prices?

View Quote

The chamber of commerce website for the area in question answers some of your questions.The Dept of Labor has info. Pulling up the areas newspapers will give you more info. Craigs List has more info, searching the web besides arfcom like we did was very helpful.  

gas prices run $2.47 - 2.99 per average. with CASH DISCOUNT.

http://caljobsource.com/socal.html

you're on your own after that link.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The chamber of commerce website for the area in question answers some of your questions.The Dept of Labor has info. Pulling up the areas newspapers will give you more info. Craigs List has more info, searching the web besides arfcom like we did was very helpful.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are the gas prices?

Registering your car: 30 days from arrival if you are moving in as a new resident.  A word of warning on this; do not buy a new car then move into CA. When you go in the register it, CA DMV will charge you Use Tax of 9% on the full purchase price even if you already paid the sales tax in your previous state. As long as you've had the car for a year or more, you will not have to pay this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks very much guys. I am trying to get quick inside info for my daughter. If it were me moving I would be much more thorough. I am not going to do her homework for her, this is just dad trying to lend a helping hand. I really don't want her to move that far away. If she does I won't see my little girl much. It is what it is. They have to fly on there own at one point. I appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Beach areas are usually expensive to rent in but not all coastal areas are good areas. I used to live in Venice. You can usually tell the crime rate by driving around a few times day and night. Houses/apartments with bars on every window/door, "homies" loitering, trash on the street, etc. are good signs that you are in a bad area.

There is an app that identifies bad areas/neighborhoods but I'm not sure if it has reached the west coast. "Sketch Factor" Supposedly it is very accurate = data comes from local people. Some libtard reporters got car jacked in a neighborhood identified on the app as a "bad area". They were trying to prove that creating this app was wrong and "racist" but they learned the hard way.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1399980/sketchfactor-the-racist-app-tells-white-people-to-avoid-sketchy-areas/
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to Zillow.com for insight into prices and availability of apartments, condos and houses.  You can filter the info to show only rentals, if that's what she wants.    I would never base an offer or a contract (lease) on the values they show but it is a big data base that I find very useful.  You can also see how price varies with location.

I did a quick check of apartments and condos.  It seemed $1.3k/month was the very lowest and $2k-$3k/mo seemed more representative.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys I am going to let her read this thread. I hope she changes her mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top