Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 6:37:33 PM EDT
I'm looking for California Legal magazines that look like 30 round magazines. I found a new company called HexMag. They make a 10 round magazine that is in a 30 round magazine body. It has a blocked bottom with a 10 round spring only. Is this legal for California?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I get my 10/30 pmags from hartatac dot com. They have a good selection too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:55:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm looking for California Legal magazines that look like 30 round magazines. I found a new company called HexMag. They make a 10 round magazine that is in a 30 round magazine body. It has a blocked bottom with a 10 round spring only. Is this legal for California?
View Quote

The 10 rounds makes it meet the criteria, it doesn't matter if it looks like a 30.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We sell our coupled and non coupled mags in 10 round pinned models for you California guys.You can find more info on our website www.etsgroup.us
Also, you can find them at calegalmags.com

Our coupled mag allows you to couple 2 or more mags together with no extra parts or tools. Here is a picture...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/ETSgroup/tn_C10-3_zpsc9e4d109.jpg
View Quote

I really dig those. Thanks for posting that up. Might be interested in buying more mags come spring
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We sell our coupled and non coupled mags in 10 round pinned models for you California guys.You can find more info on our website www.etsgroup.us
Also, you can find them at calegalmags.com

Our coupled mag allows you to couple 2 or more mags together with no extra parts or tools. Here is a picture...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/ETSgroup/tn_C10-3_zpsc9e4d109.jpg
View Quote

Have you got any kind of blessing or other opinion from the AG on these.  Individual 10 round magazines are clearly legal but fastening them together may make them an ammunition feeding device capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds

(c) The following definitions shall apply under this section:

(1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.

(2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

I've got a bunch of high-caps, but I wouldn't want to be the poster boy for these or similar devices and a pissed AG.  Kamala  Harris is (hopefully) going to be pissed in the near future with more losses, These do seem to literally fall on the wrong side.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
What I don't understand about these and other couplers, is how you hold the rifle, hold the "tool" that releases the spent mag and catch the mag (you need it to flip it and re-insert).  It would take three hands.

Isn't it easier to just let it fall away?  I don't have three hands and refilling a mag is just not practical in a civilian self-defense scenario.

Also the 10/30 mags are HUGE compared to a true 10 rounder.  They offer something to grab but the bulk is otherwise detrimental.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A lot of people I know that really want to get speedy reloads ditch the bullet buddy, go back to the stock AR mag release and put a device on the AR so you can not wrap your thumb around the pistil grip. That's when you can really start humming.

Something like this would make it legal for you to have detachable magazines on your AR.

http://monstermangrip.com/mmg-ar/
View Quote

I already own one of those.  It sits in my spare parts box, unused.  Hmmm,... maybe someday, if the SHTF and I actually need to use 30 round mags, I have what I need to convert the rifle to legally use them.

What seems to be scarce as hen's teeth are 10/20 magazines.  nm, I found some.  I guess supply has caught up with demand.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here's a list of all the civilian self-defense scenarios over the last 200 years where more than ten rounds from a rifle were needed:

The 10/30 round magazines are large but they make people in other states cry so I've converted some of my legal 30-round magazines to 10-round ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I don't understand about these and other couplers, is how you hold the rifle, hold the "tool" that releases the spent mag and catch the mag (you need it to flip it and re-insert).  It would take three hands.

Isn't it easier to just let it fall away?  I don't have three hands and refilling a mag is just not practical in a civilian self-defense scenario.

Also the 10/30 mags are HUGE compared to a true 10 rounder.  They offer something to grab but the bulk is otherwise detrimental.  

Here's a list of all the civilian self-defense scenarios over the last 200 years where more than ten rounds from a rifle were needed:

The 10/30 round magazines are large but they make people in other states cry so I've converted some of my legal 30-round magazines to 10-round ones.

LOL!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out Thordsen Customs

They offer Pmags, Lancers and D&H magazines that are blocked to ten rounds. I've bought a bunch of mags from these guys and shipping is fast!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the idea of the Lancer UBBT magazines.  They have a stud protruding from the bottom front of the magazine which allows you to drop the empty using the new, full one.

Does anyone here have them?   Do they work well or is it a gimmick?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Love the Lancers ... I bought some to replace some of my pre-banned magazines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out Thordsen Customs

They offer Pmags, Lancers and D&H magazines that are blocked to ten rounds. I've bought a bunch of mags from these guys and shipping is fast!

Love the Lancers ... I bought some to replace some of my pre-banned magazines.

Got me a pair of the 10/20 smoke Lancers too.....thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Check out Hexmags. They make true 30's, 15/30's and 10'30's. These are not modified aftermarket, they are configured from the manufacturer. We have used them and are very pleased with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top