Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2014 6:21:06 PM EDT
Hello all,

I'm relocating to just north of LA for work purposes and wanted to review my research on the applicable gun laws...  

I'm bringing two firearms, my Kimber 1911 and a mid-length AR carbine built on a Spikes 'ST' lower purchased many years ago.  I don't see it on the banned list.  This would be an 'OLL' correct?  

As I understand my Kimber is legal as is, with the standards 8 round mags.  My carbine must have the bullet-button installed and only ten round mags.  With the bullet button all the 'evil features' are fine.  BOTH must be registered within 30 days of arrival.  Transporting must be done unloaded and in the trunk/rear of vehicle, but locks are not required.  Ammo may be in the magazines in the same container so long as they are NOT in the firearm.  

I believe that covers the basics - is there anything incorrect or that I may be missing?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:31:28 AM EDT
[#1]
not sure on that lower

sounds like your good to go though
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello all,

I'm relocating to just north of LA for work purposes and wanted to review my research on the applicable gun laws...  

I'm bringing two firearms, my Kimber 1911 and a mid-length AR carbine built on a Spikes 'ST' lower purchased many years ago.  I don't see it on the banned list.  This would be an 'OLL' correct?  

As I understand my Kimber is legal as is, with the standards 8 round mags.  My carbine must have the bullet-button installed and only ten round mags.  With the bullet button all the 'evil features' are fine.  BOTH must be registered within 30 days of arrival.  Transporting must be done unloaded and in the trunk/rear of vehicle, but locks are not required.  Ammo may be in the magazines in the same container so long as they are NOT in the firearm.  

I believe that covers the basics - is there anything incorrect or that I may be missing?

Thank you!
View Quote

You actually have 60 days to register, not thirty. I just went through this a couple of months ago.

They dropped the fee from $19 per gun to a one time fee of $19 for all of them last January. Thank God.....it would have cost me almost $500.

Magazineblocks.com sells adapters to convert your magazines if you need them.

Be aware - it's illegal to bring ammo into the state. Out of state ammo is super-duper deadly I guess.

There are actually border crossings here. No kidding. They're looking to prevent insects coming in via fruit I think, but if you're driving a truck will make you open it up. Cars with out of state plates get randomly searched too. They don't tear them apart, just take a quick peak but if you're bringing a truckload of dead hookers, an embarrassing collection of women's panties, or your fleshlight collection...or whatever else you don't want them to see, keep them hidden. My sister had to  open up her car when she moved back, and I had to open up my U-Haul. It was painless, they were just looking for food so not too intrusive...but don't get yourself into trouble.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You actually have 60 days to register, not thirty. I just went through this a couple of months ago.

They dropped the fee from $19 per gun to a one time fee of $19 for all of them last January. Thank God.....it would have cost me almost $500.

Be aware - it's illegal to bring ammo into the state. Out of state ammo is super-duper deadly I guess.

There are actually border crossings here. No kidding. They're looking to prevent insects coming in via fruit I think, but if you're driving a truck will make you open it up. Cars with out of state plates get randomly searched too. They don't tear them apart, just take a quick peak but if you're bringing a truckload of dead hookers, an embarrassing collection of women's panties, or your fleshlight collection...or whatever else you don't want them to see, keep them hidden. My sister had to  open up her car when she moved back, and I had to open up my U-Haul. It was painless, they were just looking for food so not too intrusive...but don't get yourself into trouble.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello all,

Thank you!

Ammo restrictions are news to me.
Only thing I was aware of is no tracers allowed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both of these are news to me.  

So, if I go to a match in Arizona, I'm not allowed to bring unused, spare ammo back when I return???

I thought tracers, like AP, were okay to own but not okay to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So, if I go to a match in Arizona, I'm not allowed to bring unused, spare ammo back when I return???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed - can anyone cite the penal code for restrictions on bringing in any ammo?  I knew about tracers and AP, but the rest is news...  Hopefully just a mistake.  

Otherwise thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought as well
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Was going to start another thread...

Got a friend that is going to PCS to CA in the next few months.  He has a 16 inch PSA built AR...I saw Palmetto on the flow chart but wasn't sure if that meant PSA or another company.

Who does he have to register with and is there a military exemption?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you Paul.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#12]
IIRC it's only pistol AP that is banned AP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top