Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2014 11:23:12 PM EDT
I'm TDY in San Diego for the next six months.  I am staying in La Mesa and working in NASSCO..  What should I do while I'm here?  I've been to the zoo before.

Next weekend, I think I am going to the model railroad museum in Balboa Park.  There appears to be lot lot of other stuff to see at Balboa, too.

What are your suggestions for don't miss sights, attractions, and eateries?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Go see the MIDWAY.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
MIDWAY is really nice, if you can make it up to LB on a weekend the IOWA is up there too. The cemetery on Point Loma was worth my time. I was there TDY for school in August and it has grown so much since I left, but in a good way.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the Midway suggestion.  I forgot about that.  Last time I was in San Diego, it had just arrived and was not open for visitors.

At some point during my stay, my wife and kids will come out for a bit, so toddler/family friendly attactions are also appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The Model RR Museum is definitely worth the visit.  I believe they are closed on Mondays.  Most weekends they operate the Tehachapi layout on 1950's Timetable style ops with 1950's era rolling stock.  Other weekends, modern trains, using modern operating techniques.  I like the 50's weekends.

Several other museums up there are worth visiting.  Wrong time of year but the outdoor plays were a lot of fun.

Anza-Borrego is worth visiting.

The Maritime Museum has several unique vessels.  The SP Ferry has a huge walking beam engine.  The Star of India has no engine.

You might like the Hillcrest area for a more moderate night-life.

The Old Town Mexican Cafe no longer serves the brown bubbling salsa.  El Indio still lives on, on an undeserved reputation
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Since you have already been to the zoo you can hit up the Safari Park. It is a little north of San Diego but is well worth the trip.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you have already been to the zoo you can hit up the Safari Park. It is a little north of San Diego but is well worth the trip.
View Quote

Expensive. Worth the trip. Check out the apes and the tiger exhibit.

The park works like an a la carte menu. You pay admission and choose what you really want to do on top of that.

The Zip Line is cool. Really cool. You can buy a beer after you walk off the landing platform.

Different crowd than Disneyland. Just saying.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Do a Friday Marine Corps boot camp graduation.  

0800 morning colors and band

1000 graduation pass and review

Check out the museum after.  

Drive up to Julian and Palomar mountain area.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The park works like an a la carte menu. You pay admission and choose what you really want to do on top of that.

The Zip Line is cool. Really cool. You can buy a beer after you walk off the landing platform.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love the wild animal park.  Be prepared, there is a significant amount of walking involved.  Not that that is a bad thing, but just keep that in mind when planning how much crap is going with you for the kid(s).  

I haven't seen it mentioned, but Legoland is freaking awesome.  Lego.  Land.  Enough said.

ETA: if you want to go into LA, Exposition park by USC is really great for museums.  The natural history museum is top notch, (if you are TDY, it means you are .mil, .mil and family gets into the natural history museum free FYI). The California science center has a bunch of space related stuff, up to and including the Space Shuttle Endeavor on display.  For the love of God, they have a flight prototype for the SR-71 Blackbird (the A-12) just hanging out in a flowerbed on the back side of the museum.  There is also a bunch of stuff for the younger kids within the science center. Exposition park
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Toss me a PM if you ever want to come shoot.

I'm the manager at a local indoor range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Since you are in La Mesa I suggest eating at Marios and also at Marriettas. There is also a nice gun store that is on the road between those two Mexican food places.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Next weekend, I think I am going to the model railroad museum in Balboa Park.  There appears to be lot lot of other stuff to see at Balboa, too.
View Quote

If you like trains, Campo has a railroad museum and you can ride an actual train.

Balboa park has tons of stuff, museums off aircraft, autos, science, art, and natural history.

You can take I-8 out to the edge of the county and visit the Desert View Tower.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny you should mention that...  I'm here working on USNS Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#14]
The Museums in Exposition Park are definitely worth a visit, especially with the kids.  The Natural History is a classic with Animal Halls, Dinosaurs, Fossils, Bugs, Gems, Minerals, Gold.  You will recognize it form TV and movies.  As noted the CA Museum is a great collection, has the Shuttle, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo capsules, a variety of prototypes from Douglas, Northrop, Lockheed.  The Complex is "The Jeffersonian" on Bones.

Next to the  museums to the south is the Colosseum, across the street to the north is USC.

As noted, the Iowa is in San Pedro, there is a WW2 Merchant Mariners Memorial just about a block down the street.  I think you'd appreciate it
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which one?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one?

Handlebar Mustache. That should be all the info you need to find me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Funny you should mention that...  I'm here working on USNS Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the more reason to go
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I hit up my the San Diego Model Railroad museum last weekend and the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum in Bista today.  I'm going home for a week and a half on Tuesday but will be back out here next year.  When I get back, I intend to hit the Joe Martin Craftmanship Museum, the railroad museum in Campo, and the Midway.  That will take up my January weekends!  Thanks all for the advice.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Old poway park has a steam engine thats runs and gives rides around the park on weekends.  Something else u might want to check out if you are into trains.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Stone Brewery in Escondido.

Beautiful architecture, beautiful landscape.

Great food.

Great beer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top