Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2014 11:22:10 PM EDT
My In-Laws have relocated to CA, and they met a nice old lady and in the course of developing a friendship the old lady mentioned her husband (passed away) had an old pistol and she was thinking of getting rid of it, and when this got relayed to me I simply told my In-Laws to tell the lady I'd buy it. I figured this wouldn't be much of an issue until I started doing some research into CA gun laws, and now I'm a bit concerned about how to make this happen. I was figuring the easiest way would be to do an FFL to FFL transfer, but wanted to get some advice from you fine folks. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, completely aware of the legalities involved when shipping between unlicensed folks, but what I'm asking is are there any CA-specific requirements we'd need to be aware of. Is there more involved with shipping a pistol from CA than is required by current ATF guidelines? Will we need to have the old lady file anything with the CA DOJ? These are the types of things I'm looking to find out so we can get this done. The gun store I spoke to out there wasn't sure how to do this as the owner explained its not typical to ship guns out of CA, so he was giving me his best guess.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to go, thank you sir!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no need to go through a California FFL. It is not required by either Federal or California law.  The firearm can be shipped directly to your Ohio FFL as long as he will accept shipments from an unlicensed individual.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Right, but I think it's typically cheaper to ship a handgun from FFL to FFL than overnighting via UPS; the quote I got from UPS was upwards of 100 bucks, while the FFL's are quoting $50 shipped with their fee.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was pretty sure that transferring a pistol between residents of different states required an FFL on both ends?

Ah [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)] - the receiving state has to have the FFL. I therefore stand corrected. It could be when I did this the far end state felt better going FFL to FFL vice me to him.

That might have been the case. It's been over 10 years since I did this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no need to go through a California FFL. It is not required by either Federal or California law.  The firearm can be shipped directly to your Ohio FFL as long as he will accept shipments from an unlicensed individual.

I was pretty sure that transferring a pistol between residents of different states required an FFL on both ends?

Ah [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)] - the receiving state has to have the FFL. I therefore stand corrected. It could be when I did this the far end state felt better going FFL to FFL vice me to him.

Right, but I think it's typically cheaper to ship a handgun from FFL to FFL than overnighting via UPS; the quote I got from UPS was upwards of 100 bucks, while the FFL's are quoting $50 shipped with their fee.

That might have been the case. It's been over 10 years since I did this.

Wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top