Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2014 4:14:48 PM EDT

Can anyone recommend a competent 1911 smith in So CA?

I recently acquired a nice Colt that someone installed an aftermarket trigger in and it doesn't pass the safety checks. Might get Novak night sights installed if the guy inspires confidence.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Where in So Cal?  There's a good 1911 smith in San Diego.  Clothey and Sons.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm in north OC but San Diego is okay for a smith that won't ruin my pistol.

Thanks, I'll give him a call.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Novak night sights are very, very nice.  I had a set installed on a new, blued slide.  They are solid as a rock.  10 years later, they still work.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:27:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Two names in SoCal are Alan Tanaka (Gardena) and... well, shit, I can't remember anymore... other guy was based in Corona.

Whatever you do, stay away from Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster. They FUBAR'd my Colt, and wouldn't own up to it.

ETA: Found it. Dude's name is Will O'Hara
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My question is are any of these 1911 smiths ready for heavy milling/fitting?

I know there's the light fitting stuff, but then there's sights, slide lightening cuts, sti/svi work and the stuff I'd rather the Smith not send out to someone who can do it for them.

Which one of these guys fit the bill?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I was going to suggest Kings Gun Works.  Having not been there in along time, I thought I'd make sure they were still around and post a link to their web site.

As it turns out, they are no longer in business and haven't been in a long time.

When I last had some 1911 gunsmithing done, the items were purchased and the gunsmithing was done by an excellent 'smith but he's in Arizona.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top