Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 2:19:55 PM EDT
Moving to the bay area roughly Nov 15th of this year. While looking for career employment in my field I am hoping to land a temporary, or long term if it is desirable, job at a gun store or firearms related position. Or any job really, something that will get me buy to pay rent and living expenses. I have been scouring gun stores via google but none of the websites seem to post openings. Can anyone lead me in the right direction or offer advice to the area. I have not settled on where to find a place but can stay with friends until I get things worked out so I am open to the entire bay area.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of the Bay Area - it's a large place?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
San Fran, South San Fran, San Mateo, Richmond, Palo Alto, Berkley, Mountain View, Sunny Vale, Oakland. Don't know much about all the areas but those in general but I hear Hayward and Fremont are most likely not for me. Still doing my reseach.... Even San Rafael

edit: been checking out gun stores via google and scouting their websites. most do not post jobs :/ email one so far: Peninsula Gun and Tactical. Will email more as but i was hoping this community could give me a heads up on the area. And yes i listed a lot of turf. Just want to be around San Fran area for interviewing to start out, an hour or an hour and a  half away is fine with me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
San Fran, South San Fran, San Mateo, Richmond, Palo Alto, Berkley, Mountain View, Sunny Vale, Oakland. Don't know much about all the areas but those in general but I hear Hayward and Fremont are most likely not for me. Still doing my reseach.... Even San Rafael

edit: been checking out gun stores via google and scouting their websites. most do not post jobs :/ email one so far: Peninsula Gun and Tactical. Will email more as but i was hoping this community could give me a heads up on the area. And yes i listed a lot of turf. Just want to be around San Fran area for interviewing to start out, an hour or an hour and a  half away is fine with me.
View Quote

I did what you did 17 years ago. Moved from Florida to the Bay Area and while it was not as bad as it is now firearms wise, it was still a gulag to me.

The handful of gunshops left are minimum wage type jobs.

I worked for Targetmasters in Stockton reloading all the ammo for both their ranges. The hour drive from the Bay got old after 6 months and then I went to work for Micro Sight in Belmont for about a year. They were the last distributor in the Bay Area and even though it was half the distance (35 miles instead of 65) the commute took twice as long.

I sadly had to leave the firearms industry to be able to make decent wages and 5 years later I reclaimed my freedom by moving to Nevada.
Unless you're a trust fund kid or can live off savings, it is the wrong part of the country to try to work in the industry.
But it might motivate you to find a job in your field that much quicker.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Min Wage isn't ideal but fine with me. I just need something to make the move and yeah I will defiantly have a job in my field. This would be 3-6 months temporary and Im fine with the non-free environment as I will not be living there my whole life. This is a career move to build experience. San fran is the epicenter for my field.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
design jobs..... I am a consumer product and user interface designer and San Fran is the epicenter of it all. I wrestled with it for years, almost moved there a few years back, finally gonna do it as a career move. I have lived in quite a few places, SC currently and we have good gun laws here which I have enjoyed for a few years. Figure its okay for me to live .15% of my life in a terrible gun state. I will make the best of it an enjoy what I can, buy what guns I can, find a range and have a fun time meeting new people. The bay area is beautiful.. and you will be glad to have me on your team.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to Kali. I came across a posting of these guys hiring:

[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Where or what site did you see the posting? I actually sent them an email yesterday requesting more info on any available positions. Their website does not have any or any other job sites Im searching. local ad?

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like you are an industrial designer type guy - guessing your full time career potentials are in SF proper or possibly Silicon Valley.  You really need to identify where you want/need to reside longer term because trying to job hunt and commute to a low paying job is going to be painful.  Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge is $6/day if you commute - the other bridges are $5/day.  Low wage jobs in the 9 Bay Area counties are not going to pay enough to have any kind of decent lifestyle & commuting in the Bay Area can be (read "is") down right painful so you want to minimize your commute as much as possible.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Bingo on the Industrial Design. Im in the process of working out a freelance contract but I am trying to cover some expenses until that gains some momentum and all contracts are signed.  I want to stay a head or at least even financially while settling in out there   Im also the type of person who just enjoys working and improving things regardless and would really look forward to working at a gun store to gain knowledge. Lots of room for improvements in the business. To be harsh, frankly every logo and website looks like 1996 designed it. Thats not my goal to solicit design work at a shop but its what I would be keeping busy with if the store hours are dead.
Top Top