Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 1:26:54 PM EDT
This story isn't getting any widespread coverage, but it's affecting several people I know in addition to me personally.  EDD did an "upgrade" to their Cold War relic (no exaggeration) claims processing system at the end of August, and there has been nothing but trouble since then.
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/video/9305512-edd-computer-glitch-delaying-payments-for-thousands/
I mailed in a Continued Claim form on Monday, September 8.  Normally the money would have been applied to my EDD debit card by the following Friday or Saturday.  It's now 11 days later and I haven't gotten any money.  My funds were flowing in smoothly during the month of August.  September is a bust.
It's not a major crisis for me because I have cash and the ability to acquire more at any time.  I'm also confident I can find work within another month or two.  But it is a source of anxiety and I have spent a few hours trying to get my claim re-activated.  I don't know whether it's been deactivated or there is just a delay in processing.
I tried calling EDD yesterday on their English language "customer service representative" line at 800-300-5616.  After a struggle navigating the menu, I got a message saying I was being transferred to a human followed immediately by one saying they were too busy to take my call.  The cursed thing hung up on me!
So I tried their email contact system which has a notation "We'll do our best to get back to you within five working days."  Well, they did respond with a message saying that a duplicate claim form has been mailed and it would take up to 10 days for postal delivery.    They didn't say WHEN the form was mailed, and whoever replied didn't give me a name.
Just for kicks I tried contacting my state senator, Marty "Blockhead" Block.  His staffer was unaware of any problem at EDD.  She said she'd have someone call me.  Nobody has called.  I got a similar non-response to an email to Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins, who lives about a mile from me.  It's just confirmation that both of them are worthless.
The US mail just arrived.  I was hoping to get SOMETHING from EDD, but all I got was the statewide ballot pamphlet for the November 4 election.  It will be simple to choose my candidates - Just pick the ones that don't have the word "Democratic" after their names.
Here's my mom's take:

Subject: Re: EDD's response to my help request generates as many questions  as
it answers

No, the incompetence and unwillingness to
really serve is exactly what you MUST believe, because it is true.  If you were
to get a real person on the phone, you would discover that there are at least 95
reasons why something perfectly simple cannot be accomplished.  It's a part of
the culture.
View Quote

Imagine how bad things must have been in the
Soviet Union, whose "civil servant" mentality made ours look microscopic!  Sure,
Reagan and Thatcher managed to finish it off, but it would eventually have
collapsed with no help from outside, in my humble opinion.

Bottom line is that it doesn't make any
difference whether the new form was generated because you asked for it, or
because they realized there was a problem...  Same thing happens and same delay
happens.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:30:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmm my disability did not go through this week either.  Wonder if its the same system

Jason
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I think there may be some statewide computer funk.

Paid the registration on my new truck two months ago, still have not received tags.
Shows paid in the computer system and the money was deducted from my checking account but no tags.

Hope it shows paid in the part of the DMV computer system accessed by law enforcement since the current tags are expired, I am sure it is only a matter of time before I get pulled over for it. Last thing I want to do is have to take a friggin day off work and go stand in line at the DMV to get their screw up straightened out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think there may be some statewide computer funk.

Paid the registration on my new truck two months ago, still have not received tags.

Shows paid in the computer system and the money was deducted from my checking account but no tags.

Hope it shows paid in the part of the DMV computer system accessed by law enforcement since the current tags are expired, I am sure it is only a matter of time before I get pulled over for it. Last thing I want to do is have to take a friggin day off work and go stand in line at the DMV to get their screw up straightened out.
View Quote

I got into a similar situation a couple of years ago.  The San Diego PD was experimenting with a car-mounted automatic license and registration scanning system.  It flagged me as not having current registration.  The officer who was driving pulled me over and said my registration was expired.  I told him I had sent in the money but not yet received tags.  He said "OK, thanks!" and waved me on.

I think the police systems are sufficiently connected to DMV to know whether or not you have paid.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top