Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2014 9:32:03 PM EDT
I'm trying to build an AR pistol. If I'm reading this right, a vert grip on the AR pistol is legal. Being how the AR doesn't have a detachable magazine, it can have a second grip. Am I missing another section that applies to AR pistols that would make the forward grip illegal?

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
vertical grip on a pistol is a no no all together AFAIK.  If I understand it right, a bullet button is still considered a detachable magazine.  So in order to have a forward vertical grip you would need to make the magazine permanent.  Also not sure on the legality of building a pistol lower.  This state is just retarded.

Jason

ETA:  Apparently I know nothing of this states ar pistol laws.  Way to confusing
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
not sure about the vert grip. a bullet button makes it a fixed magazine, hence why need a "tool" aka something that is not part of the firearm to release the mag
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe the addition of a vertical forward grip onto a pistol (usually) makes it into an AOW. I believe AOW's are OK in CA, but you still have to jump through all the federal hoops.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I understand it right, a bullet button-equipped rifle is still considered to have a detachable fixed magazine.  
Jason
View Quote

Fixed it for you.

Because a Bullet Button requires a tool to release the magazine, the magazine is considered to be non-detachable (fixed).
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:52:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I believe the addition of a vertical forward grip onto a pistol (usually) makes it into an AOW. I believe AOW's are OK in CA, but you still have to jump through all the federal hoops.
View Quote

Unless it is over 26 inches OAL.

It appears to be kosher, I've seen similar setups sold in stores but I don't know if I'd be up to chancing a cop ruining a range trip over it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:07:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I believe the addition of a vertical forward grip onto a pistol (usually) makes it into an AOW.
View Quote

Usually.  But not always.

Skip to the last paragraph:
http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

Because a Bullet Button requires a tool to release the magazine, the magazine is considered to be non-detachable (fixed).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I understand it right, a bullet button-equipped rifle is still considered to have a detachable fixed magazine.  
Jason

Fixed it for you.

so if I remove the vertical grip, can I remove the bullet button as a CA legal configuration?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jason
View Quote

Fixed it for you.

View Quote

so if I remove the vertical grip, can I remove the bullet button as a CA legal configuration?
View Quote

No. The magazine is outside of the grip, the barrel is threaded, and the handguard is lited as a barrel shroud. Did you read the quote in the OP?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#9]
A Bullet Button/Fixed Magazine Does Not Exempt a Firearm from State or Federal SBR Laws.

That is why a VFG is still illegal.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A Bullet Button/Fixed Magazine Does Not Exempt a Firearm from State or Federal SBR Laws.

View Quote

Ok.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
vertical grip on a pistol is a no no all together AFAIK.  If I understand it right, a bullet button is still considered a detachable magazine.  So in order to have a forward vertical grip you would need to make the magazine permanent.  Also not sure on the legality of building a pistol lower.  This state is just retarded.

Jason

ETA:  Apparently I know nothing of this states ar pistol laws.  Way to confusing
View Quote

That's the problem in a nut shell, though, isn't it?

At some point the gun laws became arbitrary and unconstitutionally vague and confusing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I must have been DRUNK when I wrote this!

A VFG is illegal on AR Pistols.  But if an AR Pistol is over 26 inches, it can be reclassified as either an AOW or a FIREARM.  So a VFG is Legal on the right configuration.
Top Top