Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2014 6:15:24 PM EDT

Hi, after a long tough fight we rescued our g daughter (8) from her druggie mother.  She was not allowed to go to D Land with her Mom's new boyfriend and his children.  We spent 12K for this and I'd spend double if I had to.  We live in Sierra Vista, AZ.  I want to take her as soon as possible.
Thank you in advance.
T F
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say to go ASAP and any time is fine except,... don't go on a day when the local schools have off.  It gets a bit too crowded on those days when schools are off.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say to go ASAP and any time is fine except,... don't go on a day when the local schools have off.  It gets a bit too crowded on those days when schools are off.
View Quote

I understand that I chaperoned several senior classes to grad night.  I think we're looking at July but not on the fourth.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking at July later in July and on Tuesday or Wednesday.  It's almost Grad-Nite season, about another week, and then it gets pretty unpredictable as to what days are good because sometimes a lot of the schools come back the next day, and sometimes not too many.    You should check the Disneyland OFFICIAL website for what days are grad-nites and how they effect hours of operation on any given day.  Grad-nites finish about mid-June. So between then and July 4th it will be initial summer vacation crowds.  The 4th is Friday so you can expect July 4th fireworks shows on Saturday and Sunday, too. The first week after that may or may not be overly crowded.  Holidays are always ridiculous.

I had all boys and now a grandson, so I know where I did/would take them.  But a grand-daughter??

Does she like the movies and TV? I would suggest that you visit the Museums in Exposition Park in Los Angeles.  The County Museum of Natural History is one of the big classic museums, dinosaurs, Butterfly Pavilion, Animal Halls, Gems, Bugs, and has been used in a variety of movies and TV shows, not the least being "The Jeffersonian" on Bones. The rotunda is also used a lot.  Outside is the Rose Garden, again one of those places you will recognize.  Next door is the Cal Museum of Science and Industry, Space Shuttle Endeavor, emphasis on the aerospace industry in Southern California. (and it's free, or was)  During the school  year, groups are in the mornings only.  Next to this is the Coliseum and on the north side of the complex across the the street is USC.

If you absolutely have to visit Hollywood, I would suggest hitting the Griffith Park Planetarium first, it's free for the museum portion and charges only for the shows.  Not only is it in movies and tv all the time, it overlooks a panorama of Los Angeles and Hollywood, plus it has a great view of the Hollywood Sign.  From there drop down to Hollywood and Highland.  BIG BIG parking lot there under the theater from the Oscars, has the costumed characters out front who pose for tips,  Graumans is just a few steps down and across the street is the El Capitan Theater. and Jimmy Kimmel Show.  The El Capitan is owned by Disney and generally is showing a family type movie.  In July, it will be Maleficent.  The theater is huge and beautifully restored.  Shows start with the playing of the mighty Wurlitzer organ, which sinks in to the stage as the movie starts.  They have displays in the lobby and a room downstairs of costumes, props, sets, and modles and storyboards, etc.  http://elcapitantheatre.disney.com/

From there you can head to Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, etc.

There might be some interest in visiting here, Fashion Institute of Design Museum http://fidmmuseum.org/exhibitions/upcoming/  Won't be the Costumes from the movies exhibit, but looks like starting in late July will be the TV Costumes exhibit.  FREE!!   But parking is $3-8 or so depending on where you park.  Or if you are feeling especially adventurous.  Metro Rail is about a block away. (Also across the street from Exposition Park museums)

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Hi, after a long tough fight we rescued our g daughter (8) from her druggie mother.  She was not allowed to go to D Land with her Mom's new boyfriend and his children.  We spent 12K for this and I'd spend double if I had to.  We live in Sierra Vista, AZ.  I want to take her as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

T F
View Quote

Take her during the Holiday season.  The week before Thanksgiving  (18th -24th) is usually a little slow.  All the holiday overlays will be in place.

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Take her during the Holiday season.  The week before Thanksgiving  (18th -24th) is usually a little slow.  All the holiday overlays will be in place.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you in advance.
T F

As a former D-Land employee I agree with this. Might sound weird, but the holidays at Disneyland really are magical. Seeing the kid's faces light up when it starts "snowing" after the fireworks is priceless. If you want to go during the summer, expect large crowds. Weekdays will be lighter, though probably not enough to really notice. Holiday times are busy too, don't get me wrong, but you get more out of your experience. At least in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Go now. Enjoy it. Let her enjoy it. I'm glad you got her back.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I want it to be soon July the week after the 4th on a Tue. Wed looks good.  I'm military retired so I'll go on Post to get a deal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice! Glad to hear.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
My girl is also 8 and lives with her mother in CA.  She has a yearly pass and is a frequent visitor.  Best advice I have is stay away on weekends & holidays, but at this time of the year even weekdays are busy and crowded.  Any parade you will want her to see, you'll have to get a spot along the route and stay there prior for at least one hour minimum.  

PaDanby had good suggestions for other locations worth visiting with an 8yr old girl.   Don't forget Knott's Berry Farm and Magic Mountain as other good amusement park alternatives.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#10]
When my kids were younger, we would go to DIsneyland the day after Halloween, and it was never crowded...this year the day after Halloween is a Saturday, so not sure if that strategy would work!  If you can go it this month, on a weekday, when the schools are still in session, and it's not Memorial Day weekend, you should have a relatively uncrowded visit.  It will only get hotter and more crowded in the summer.  Pull her out of school for a couple days if you have to so you can go during the week...it will be worth it.  My kids used to like going to the Rain Forest Cafe after visiting the park, it's in the shopping area just outside Disneyland.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yes, I want it to be soon July the week after the 4th on a Tue. Wed looks good.  I'm military retired so I'll go on Post to get a deal.
View Quote
If you are a Costco member, you can book through them.  You get a couple perks if you do - $20 Disney gift card, a free character meal with for each person, and I forget what else (it was fairly inconsequential though).

If you want pictures from the rides and Disney photogs, look at getting the photopass+.  I think it was around $70 and includes all ride photos and Disney photographer photos.  The ride photos will cost you $15 each if you buy them separately.  You do need to buy the photopass+ at least 2 weeks before your trip to get the cheaper pricing.  At the resort will cost about $100 or so.

Make sure you ride Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land at California Adventure.  That ride, while not much of a thrill ride, is a blast. Either get in line for the ride or get a fast pass first thing in the morning.  Standby wait times can exceed and hour and a half and fastpasses can be gone for the day within 2 hours of opening.

One of the things that can make a trip special for a kid (or an adult) is to 'pilot' the Mark Twain river boat.  You have to ask the Cast Member at the dock to do this, and if you do before anyone else for that trip around the Rivers of America, you get to go up into the wheel house, ring the bell, toot the horn and sign into the guest book.  You'll get a River Boat Captains Certificate and the best view around the ROA.

Most importantly, have fun.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
It's expensive but it might be worth staying at one of the hotels to make the experience even more fun, the two day park pass is really cool as well
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's expensive but it might be worth staying at one of the hotels to make the experience even more fun, the two day park pass is really cool as well
View Quote
Three people, two nights at the Disneyland Hotel and 2 day parkhoppers for each is $1,681 through Costco.

The same package across the street on Harbor at the Carousel Inn, which is closer to the parks than the Disneyland Hotel, is $1,175.

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm checking on the military rate.  It is supposed to be pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Today was the first Grad Night.  (Current mode is mix-in both parks until 10 pm then Grad Nite in California Adventure.)  So buses arrive all day and you don't have up to 200 buses more or less getting there at the same time.  But they all leave at about the same time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Its nationwide news now that they silenty raised parking and admission fees a couple days ago.  No announcements, nothing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#17]
glad you got your granddaughter out of that situation.  Also, I was stationed in Huachuca about a year and I miss Sierra Vista quite a lot.  

If you just are looking to avoid crowds, go anytime between monday and wednesday.  Although its getting to be summer and even weekdays are going to be insanely overcrowded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top