Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 6:50:09 PM EDT
So, my aunt and uncle are getting divorced in CA.  Everything is pretty amicable, just different points in their life, kids off to college and they're ready to go their separate ways.  My aunt has a pump shotgun she bought for self protection when she was living in Texas that she kept when they moved back in '92.  When they moved back, shotgun got stuck in the back of a closet and they haven't pulled it out since.  Aunty wants to sell it to me in trade for helping them pack up the house since neither of them want it and have no idea what to do with it.  Pretty sure, talking to her, that the only paperwork ever filed on it was a 4473 in Texas.

Question number one is can I just toss it in the trunk of a rental car and drive it back?  Looked through the tacked threads and didn't see anything that jumped out at me about shotguns other than they don't need to be in a locked box.

Question number two is, uncle and I always go shooting when he comes to AZ.  Can I take a 3rd Gen G26 with the 10 round mags and a J-Frame to CA if I carry them locked in the trunk, ammo separate, and go shooting with him while I'm there?  Heck, is there anywhere to shoot in the Orange County area?  I know there's no CCW with my AZ permit, so it would just be "park car, carry Pelican case into house, show things to uncle."  If shooting is available, I imagine the next part would be "Lock Pelican case up, put in trunk, drive to shooting range".

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
pistol ok with 10 round mags.  J frame no problems.  Locked and un-loaded in trunk fine.

Several ranges in OC.  One in Brea.  Haven't shot there in years, probably a mile from home.  I usually shoot in desert.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeeze, this is California not England.

Yet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jeeze, this is California not England.

Yet.
View Quote

I didn't know!  I moved out of there in 87.

Don't hit me!  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So, my aunt and uncle are getting divorced in CA.  Everything is pretty amicable, just different points in their life, kids off to college and they're ready to go their separate ways.  My aunt has a pump shotgun she bought for self protection when she was living in Texas that she kept when they moved back in '92.  When they moved back, shotgun got stuck in the back of a closet and they haven't pulled it out since.  Aunty wants to sell it to me in trade for helping them pack up the house since neither of them want it and have no idea what to do with it.  Pretty sure, talking to her, that the only paperwork ever filed on it was a 4473 in Texas.

Question number one is can I just toss it in the trunk of a rental car and drive it back?  Looked through the tacked threads and didn't see anything that jumped out at me about shotguns other than they don't need to be in a locked box.
View Quote

There's no issue with the lack of paperwork on her end.  Back in 1992 there was no requirement to register long guns imported in CA by new residents.

No, you can't just take it with you.  Because you are a resident of AZ and she a resident of CA, she will have to ship it to an FFL in AZ for you to then do the fed paperwork.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top